OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

By the way, I always thought, that Leia was not aware of that she was adopted. When Luke asked her in ROTJ If she remembers her mother, it was clear to me, that she thought about the queen of Alderaan as her mother because Luke's question clearly pointed to her biological mother. So, this didn't fit for me, talking with Obi-Wan about her parents.

38 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

Wow!! You showed that massacre to three and four year old children???

That is hard. I would never have done that.

It might have been four and five. I figured it was less harmful than watching the entire movie (for all of us) and they were asking about Darth Vader. 

Obi-Wan Kenobi 1x06 Part VI

Well, that was a decent ending.

I really didn't understand why Reva wanted to go to Tatooine and kill Luke.  The last episode explained that she was actually a Youngling who was traumatized by a leader on her planet turning evil and slaughtering her entire class, and her only motivation this entire time was actually to get revenge by killing him; She didn't actual care about hunting down and killing Jedi, it was just a job to get her closer to Vader.  So again - why does she want to kill Luke?  It felt like a real weak excuse to have more action and suspense, and her in-episode explanation for why she was there ("justice!") was pretty silly.  It also was pretty random to me that Owen and Beru were suddenly capable of fighting against and enraged powerful Jedi, only to go back to be killed by some stormtroopers 10 years later.  Meh.

Anyways, at least when she got the opportunity to kill Luke, she didn't take it, and instead brought him home safely, completing her redemption arc.  I can see them trying to write Reva into her own show or as a supporting character in a future season or this or some other show, now as a good guy, but I could also see that never really getting off the ground.

Obi-Wan taking off in a smaller ship to lure the Star Destroyer away was pretty cool looking, as was the random planet they had their big final duel on.  That duel itself was pretty cool to see, probably better than the one in ROTS from what I remember.  I liked the flying rocks, burying, force-moves during saber duelling, etc etc.  All good!  I really liked when Vader's helmet got sliced open and we got to see Hayden Christensen, and the voice alternated between his and JEJ's a few times.  It was all awesome!  The stupid part is of course that Obi-wan against just left him there instead of finishing him off, just like Vader didn't do to Reva last episode and just like he himself didn't do to Vader 10 years earlier.  Stupid writing!

The final wrapup moments were mostly nice but sometimes confusing.  The Vader/Emperor conversation was weird.  From what I remember, Vader was set on finding Obi-Wan again, Palpatine says one thing, and Vader instantly reverses his goals, and that's that.  Too short!

Kenobi saying goodbye to everyone on Alderaan was very nice.  Princess Leia's theme was used effectively!  I love, btw, that he gave her a blaster holster and that she loved it

Kenobi on Tattooine was a lot stranger.  He decides he's going to leave Luke and Owen alone after all, yet shows up unannounced to tell Owen as such.  Then he is walking away sucesfully, but Owen asks him if he wants to meet Luke anyway (?), which I assumed Obi-wan would say no to because of course the original film gave zero indication they had ever met.  But no, he goes right up to him and introduces himself.... WTF?  Then the Qui-gon cameo was pretty awesome, because Liam Neeson was always so awesome in that role, and fit back into it here like a glove.  And yet..... I didn't feel like there was a very good reason given for why Obi-wan couldn't see him until now or anything... I dunno.

I did like that he ends the show setting off for a new adventure instead of hunkering down on Tatooine for another decade.  They certainly left themselves open for a second season!

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

And yet..... I didn't feel like there was a very good reason given for why Obi-wan couldn't see him until now or anything... I dunno.

It would have been logical to incorporate this difficulty into the plot-arc-character or something.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

I really didn't understand why Reva wanted to go to Tatooine and kill Luke.

I think she wanted to kill Luke because she understood he's the son of Anakin. Why Obi-Wan would try to protect two little kid at the peril of his own life??? What's the matter??? He remained hidden for then years and suddently, paf, he's a kindergarten?

Obi-Wan's personal involvement in the kids' safety, the implication of Bail Organa, maked things obvious: Anakin Skywalker has children.

She wanted to kill Luke because she was not able to kill Anakin. Just for pure revenge.

Did we watched the same show?

image.png

Episode 6, not the worst episode of the series, for me the biggest problems are that none of the payoffs felt earned and too many questions still

- how did Reva, who has a hole right through her get to Tatooine and get there while Obi Wan is still being chased

- how is Bail just not done as a senator in any way. Reva says "he fought with her father during the Clone Wars" her whole plan being by abducting Leia, Bail will reach out to Obi Wan for help, Bail doesn't make it public that his daughter has been kidnapped and Obi Wan show's up to save her, just how is Bail in the clear? And the Grand Inquisitor is not happy about her abducting an Imperial Senators daughter, but she was right so that's got to be a red flag?

- how is Vader under the impression that he's still the learner?

- why is Leia so formal in her message to Obi Wan in ANH, I don't need her to explicitly say "hey remember that adventure we went on 10 years ago" if the message was "General Kenobi, Ben, my father and I beg you to help us in our struggle against the Empire...". The original message is very clearly Leia asking someone she's never met for help on her father's behalf, so her connection to Obi Wan in this series feels like Lucasfilm trying to fix JJ's mistake of having Kylo being called Ben when Obi Wan never met Leia in the OT, although he did meet Han but I'm not sure how big an impression he'd have left that Han would want to name his son after him.

I did like the fight between Vader and Obi Wan, but probably would have preferred them not to have met till this point, just having Obi Wan slip away as Vader was close to getting him and build to this fight. The slash across the face with Hayden and James Earl Jones voices was awesome in live action (after already being done in Rebel's). For what it's worth I'd have dropped the bit on the ship where Obi Wan is trying to reach Qui Gon, instead have it while he's waiting for Vader to arrive, but have Qui Gon's voice say "trust your feelings, he is the chosen one", this way we get a tease that Obi Wan is reconnecting to the force, something we then see in full show during the fight and a kind of explanation as to why he doesn't kill Vader, plus Qui Gon's ghost turning up feeling earned.

As for the music overall, it really felt bland and nothing jumped out, till the last episode with ESBs Hyperspace, Leia's theme and Vader's/Imperial march.

This show was for me a whole lot of meh, and hasn't won me over to wanting more. But with a season 2 being teased by "sources" and Obi Wans last conversation with Owen, i wouldn't be surprised if there was more announced.

24 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes but her revenge was stated to be personal, and specifically only at Anakin. 

For 40 years now I say that Star Wars is too complicated for the majority of its fans, who after all are only interested in spaceships and Boba Fett.

So many people who prove their immaturity by showing that they don’t understand the simplest things in life.

Poor little geeks... :lick:

Darth Sidious Laugh GIF - Star Wars Sith Lord Darth Sidious - Discover &  Share GIFs

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes but her revenge was stated to be personal, and specifically only at Anakin. 

Ah but you see in the first episode she threatened a farmer named Owen with a family, and Bail says about helping Owen with a boy on Tatooine, so...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7 minutes ago, Andy said:

When Luke is viewing Leia’s message, Threepio asks if he knows to whom she’s referring. Luke says he doesn’t know anyone named Obi-Wan, but knows “Old Ben” who lives nearby in the Dune Sea but is sort of a hermit. 

Then at dinner, Luke tells Owen about the message and says, “I wonder if he means Old Ben?”

And also Luke recognizes him immediately after the Tusken attack. “Ben?  Ben Kenobi?  Boy am I glad to see you!”

it is implied that Luke at least knows of him. It can be inferred that they may have met.  Them meeting on this show doesn’t contradict canon. 

Damn, you're totally right! I forgot all that. My mistake! 

You know, it’s funny. I’ve been jokingly calling Obi-Wan Benny, but this series really does make you take note of how that is pretty much the only way Luke calls him by name. 

“I’m here with Ben Kenobi!”

(and Leia’s “Ben Kenobi!  Where is he?”  Leia isn’t puzzled or delayed by the name Ben)

”Ben is a great man!”

“I only wish Ben were here”

In ESB he calls out to “Ben” on Hoth. (And when dangling from Cloud City)

”Ben, tell him I’m ready!”

”Ben… why didn’t you tell me?”

If I recall, the only time he doesn’t call him Ben is when he sees his force ghost in ROTJ 

“Obi-Wan! Why didn’t you tell me?”

but moments later…

”I can’t do it, Ben.”

8 minutes ago, Andy said:

If I recall, the only time he doesn’t call him Ben is when he sees his force ghost in ROTJ 

“Obi-Wan! Why didn’t you tell me?”

It works because he's angry at him there and thus doesn't call him by the friendly personal name.

2 hours ago, Andy said:

When Luke is viewing Leia’s message, Threepio asks if he knows to whom she’s referring. Luke says he doesn’t know anyone named Obi-Wan, but knows “Old Ben” who lives nearby in the Dune Sea but is sort of a hermit. 

Something that always confused me in this scene is when Luke asks who she is, Threepio says "I'm afraid I'm not quite sure sir, I think she was a passenger on our last voyage, a person of some importance I believe" but one of Threepios first lines is "there'll be no escape for the Princess this time", so he just knows who she is but not what she looks like?

9 hours ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Episode 6, not the worst episode of the series, for me the biggest problems are that none of the payoffs felt earned and too many questions still

- how did Reva, who has a hole right through her get to Tatooine and get there while Obi Wan is still being chased

- how is Bail just not done as a senator in any way. Reva says "he fought with her father during the Clone Wars" her whole plan being by abducting Leia, Bail will reach out to Obi Wan for help, Bail doesn't make it public that his daughter has been kidnapped and Obi Wan show's up to save her, just how is Bail in the clear? And the Grand Inquisitor is not happy about her abducting an Imperial Senators daughter, but she was right so that's got to be a red flag?

- how is Vader under the impression that he's still the learner?

- why is Leia so formal in her message to Obi Wan in ANH, I don't need her to explicitly say "hey remember that adventure we went on 10 years ago" if the message was "General Kenobi, Ben, my father and I beg you to help us in our struggle against the Empire...". The original message is very clearly Leia asking someone she's never met for help on her father's behalf, so her connection to Obi Wan in this series feels like Lucasfilm trying to fix JJ's mistake of having Kylo being called Ben when Obi Wan never met Leia in the OT, although he did meet Han but I'm not sure how big an impression he'd have left that Han would want to name his son after him.

I did like the fight between Vader and Obi Wan, but probably would have preferred them not to have met till this point, just having Obi Wan slip away as Vader was close to getting him and build to this fight. The slash across the face with Hayden and James Earl Jones voices was awesome in live action (after already being done in Rebel's). For what it's worth I'd have dropped the bit on the ship where Obi Wan is trying to reach Qui Gon, instead have it while he's waiting for Vader to arrive, but have Qui Gon's voice say "trust your feelings, he is the chosen one", this way we get a tease that Obi Wan is reconnecting to the force, something we then see in full show during the fight and a kind of explanation as to why he doesn't kill Vader, plus Qui Gon's ghost turning up feeling earned.

As for the music overall, it really felt bland and nothing jumped out, till the last episode with ESBs Hyperspace, Leia's theme and Vader's/Imperial march.

This show was for me a whole lot of meh, and hasn't won me over to wanting more. But with a season 2 being teased by "sources" and Obi Wans last conversation with Owen, i wouldn't be surprised if there was more announced.

Obi-Wan and Vader never should have met in person in this series. Apart from making Vader sentence in ANH about their last meeting confusing, we would have been spared this winy Obi-Wan letting Vader get away the second time.

On the other hand, Vader let Obi-Wan get away after almost burning him in the second episode.

Doesn't look too good anyway, that the imperial troops always let the rebels get away or just make them prisoners, while the rebels never hesitate to kill any stormtrooper immediately, even when they are lying injured on the floor already.

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

Obi-Wan and Vader never should have met in person in this series. Apart from making Vader sentence in ANH about their last meeting confusing, we would have been spared this winy Obi-Wan letting Vader get away the second time.

On the other hand, Vader let Obi-Wan get away after almost burning him in the second episode.

Doesn't look too good anyway, that the imperial troops always let the rebels get away or just make them prisoners, while the rebels never hesitate to kill any stormtrooper immediately, even when they are lying injured on the floor already.

Agreed that they shouldn't have met at all, but as a preference for what we got I think just the second time they meet being the only time would have been better.

Yeah when Vader puts the fire out then doesn't when it reignites was baffling.

Right, it felt like every episode they were so close to being captured, but then for reasons they just never did? I wouldn't have preferred it to be the Imperials let them get away, just that they're one step ahead and are able to escape. 

29 minutes ago, Andy said:

The Radio Drama actually explains it.  Threepio most definitely knows who she is.  Leia and Captain Antilles are aboard the Tantive IV (first place it was ever named, and not pronounced like you might think) and about to intercept the Death Star plans. They are programming the droids to go outside the ship to fake making repairs as an alibi for being in a restricted system.  The droids  are further programmed to protect the identity of Leia being aboard at all costs “that includes lying and self destructing”

So yeah, it’s suggested that Threepio was following Antilles’ override programming and lying to Luke. 

Listen at the 1 hour 1 minute mark

Awesome, thanks a lot for clearing that up for me. Are there a lot more little details like that in the radio dramas?

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Just one of those many dumb things about Star Wars that we give grace because it’s Star Wars, but also one of those things we would never tolerate in modern Star Wars because it’s STAR WARS DAMNIT

Threepio is maybe just a protocol droid to you, but he's certainly not allowed to dispatch Top Secret informations to strangers, like for who he work.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

I wrote something like that here but remembered he continues by immediately slipping that he was "employed" by the rebels.

10 minutes ago, Holko said:

I wrote something like that here but remembered he continues by immediately slipping that he was "employed" by the rebels.

This is just letting know on which side you are... the politician way!

Threepio would say he's with the Rebels to a sympathisant... and say he's serving The Empire to an enemy! :lol:

17 hours ago, Jay said:

It also was pretty random to me that Owen and Beru were suddenly capable of fighting against and enraged powerful Jedi, only to go back to be killed by some stormtroopers 10 years later.  Meh.

In the case of Reva:

1) They were tipped off

2) She didn't seem to be trying too hard (because even she knew this was messed up).

3) They weren't really successful at that fight, were they?

In the case of the Stormtroopers there was a "detachment" of Stormtroopers (which sound like a fair number, not just one or two) who were able to slaughter a Jawa sandcrawler (which as we've seen in Mando is not as easy as it looks).

Oh, for the "Luke didn't know what a lightsaber was" crowd. He only asks "What is it?" when handed a device that looks nothing like the thing that he was attacked with. (I think the novel implies that he had heard of lightsabers.)

The show certainly had it's ups and downs and it fits in the continuity about as well as the prequels. It was kind of worth it for me to hear Owen say "He IS my own!"

It really shows what a really bad bad bad day the Skywalker kids had in Star Wars. Luke really lost his parents even if this is never really emphasized in the films. So did Leia, obviously. And both of them lost Kenobi.

Radio play:

Another fun bit (which has been contradicted by other "Legends" continuity is that Artoo knew who his competition was in the sandcrawler and he sabotaged R5!

Also there is a reference to why spaceships in Star Wars make sounds in space. It's a computer simulation to aid in pilot tracking.

The movie doesn't start until episode... four? Three? It has a great story with Luke and his buddies racing T-16's. This also rolls in the deleted scenes of Luke seeing the battle and talking with Biggs.

Then there is backstory of how Leia came to be involved and how the blockade runner received the plans.

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

She wanted to kill Luke because she was not able to kill Anakin. Just for pure revenge.

Did we watched the same show?

image.png

But Vader does not know he has children. How would killing them affect him?

14 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

Maybe after they're dead she could send him a space hologram saying that padme had children after all and she butchered them

25 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

By telling him after the fact. "Obi-Wan hid your children, I have killed your 10 years old boy... Do you want to know where the girl is, Anakin? Do you want to know if she's still alive?" :angryfire:

I did enjoy the last part. It's fun fan service. It fleshes out some moments that would've been nice to have in the prequels or even an official Episode 3.5 between the two sagas. 

Reva's blind need for revenge against Anakin clouds her logic when it comes to Luke. She doesn't realize that Anakin has no knowledge of the boy or at least believes the child died with Padme. He never knew she was carrying twins, something Padme only learned at the end of her life. Therefore, killing that which Vader knows nothing about is not really a good revenge. Obi-Wan had an opportunity to tell her he was playing the long game: Luke was an investment for the future, a secret weapon to be protected and revealed later. Instead, we infer that he felt the good in her, and with her mercy, did not need to mention The Plan. 

But Reva's attack on the farm was sloppy. Owen lies to Luke, saying that Tuskens were nearby. But when Reva breaches the perimeter, Owen yells "SHE'S COMING" and if Luke looks back as he flees, he can see someone chasing him with a glowing red sword. Not a Tusken. I guess we're supposed to believe that his fall will leave his his memories of this day fuzzy. 

As for Ben's goodbye to Leia, he does swear her to secrecy, saying she can't tell anyone about their recent adventure. So in a sense, she is protecting that shared memory when she later says "years ago, you served my father." That encapsulates everything. 

If the story is renewed for S2, Vader cannot be involved. The Emperor has seen to it. By pledging to stop searching for Kenobi, he gives him the space needed before they meet again on the Death Star. This final rejection of his old master was the final step of Anakin Skywalker's journey to become Darth Vader; his reward is The Imperial March. 

Definitely shouted "no shit" when Qui-Gon finally showed himself. 

9 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Radio play:

Another fun bit (which has been contradicted by other "Legends" continuity is that Artoo knew who his competition was in the sandcrawler and he sabotaged R5!

What Legends continuity contradicts this? The Infinities story about Skippy the Jedi Droid doesn’t count as it’s explicitly non-canon to Legends

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

What Legends continuity contradicts this? The Infinities story about Skippy the Jedi Droid doesn’t count as it’s explicitly non-canon to Legends

I know in the West End source material (which introduced a TON of stuff that is still canon even post-Legends) R5 found out about "the mission" and sacrificed himself.

21 hours ago, Andy said:

So yeah, it’s suggested that Threepio was following Antilles’ override programming and lying to Luke. 

That's what I've assumed all along.

8 hours ago, Tallguy said:

I know in the West End source material (which introduced a TON of stuff that is still canon even post-Legends) R5 found out about "the mission" and sacrificed himself.

The West End role-playing games are such an interesting point of history for Star Wars canon. From what I understand, and feel free to correct me if you know better, they formed the foundation of a large chunk of the expanded universe in part thanks to their significant influence on Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy. However, they also existed in a bit of a 'wilderness' period for Star Wars canon where it wasn't until Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy that there was a concerted effort to consolidate everything into maintained continuity. If that's the case, then it would explain why that particular part of West End was contradicted down the line as it pre-dated that canon consolidation effort

I think it was kinda funny to see in one scene Vader telling the Emperor that he has probes all over the galaxy and is searching for Kenobi, then the next scene we see Obi-Wan arriving safe and sound to a meeting with the family of an important senator.

It's not that Obi-Wan isn't clever enough to avoid Vader's probes, but the juxtaposition of these two scenes really made Vader look like an incompetent moron.

4 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I think it was kinda funny to see in one scene Vader telling the Emperor that he has probes all over the galaxy and is searching for Kenobi, then the next scene we see Obi-Wan arriving safe and sound to a meeting with the family of an important senator.

It's not that Obi-Wan isn't clever enough to avoid Vader's probes, but the juxtaposition of these two scenes really made Vader look like an incompetent moron.

The scene ends with the Emperor telling him to stop so...

On 24/06/2022 at 4:00 PM, Andy said:

Tons.  They're in 13 parts, about 20 minutes each, so more than double the amount of time to tell the story of the film.

The beginning of the film narrative with the Star Destroyer and Blockade Runner doesn't even come until halfway through the third episode.

1st Episode: ALL Luke on Tatooine with Biggs and his friends and Owen and Beru

2nd Episode:  ALL Leia on Alderaan with her father (He wasn't named Bail at this point) and their connections to the Empire.  Leia even has a diplomatic interaction with Vader, and there's a slimy Imperial Officer who wants to marry Leia to have a stronger link between the Empire and Alderaan.

• A fun mini adventure with the Droids outside the Cantina
  • An AWESOME Han Solo by Perry King (Who originally auditioned for the role in the film)... a totally different take -  VERY intense and fun.
  • You get the Jabba scene at Mos Eisley, but with another bounty hunter instead of Jabba.
  • Lots of detail on the Force instruction aboard the Falcon and lightsaber training.
  • An embarrassing extended mind probe torture of Leia by Vader - Leia's moaning is very over the top, and could be completely misunderstood by your neighbors if you have thin walls.
  • More time on Yavin with Luke trying to convince Han to stay and fight.
  • A subplot of Admiral Motti brown nosing Tarkin to try to secure more power for them both, ultimately convincing Tarkin not to evacuate the Death Star.
  • An epilogue of Luke and Han sharing stories of what happened after the battle of Yavin, before they get their awards.  (They really do a great job of building their friendship throughout the series).

This was also the first time at home listeners could hear the entire score in a different context.  It was glorious.  They had access to everything, as well as all of the sound effects libraries.

A first rate production.

Mark Hamill and Anthony Daniels are in them.  Billy Dee Williams joins for the Empire one.

Empire's adaptation was shorter, only 10 Episodes.

Jedi is the weakest, and was done much later with I think 6 Episodes, and some questionable voice talent.

Awesome, thanks for the break down. Might have to check them out at some point now.