OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

They've been filming for months and they couldn't release one little teaser image of the actual show?  Just concept art and a bit of fight practice.  It's nice I guess, but I'd rather they just hadn't shown anything.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

The press blurb states kenobi has been 10 years in exile, developing new techniques and questioning the ways of the jedi of old.

So what the heck is doing luke skywalker in the mandoverse?

Wait; how is "10 years past RotS" related to the times of Mando...?

Luke was alive at both points in time.

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Luke knew Obi-wan for like three days.

his ghost accompanied him during all those years. And obi wan talked to yoda too...

Anyway.. maybe Luke's reasoning is let grogu grow with attachments and then return to the new order. As opposed to baby "kidnapping" by the old jedi

My preferred reading is similar to the EU and I believe modern canon as well - the ghosts aren’t always hanging around.  Basically, what we saw is what we got (hence why Luke was so surprised to see Yoda again in TLJ).  Luke had a bunch of old books and maybe holocrons and had to navigate the New Way and the old ways.

50 minutes ago, mstrox said:

My preferred reading is similar to the EU and I believe modern canon as well - the ghosts aren’t always hanging around.

They had a standing weekly meeting on the calendar but Obi-Wan was always cancelling!

On 10/02/2022 at 5:29 PM, Luke Skywalker said:

I mean kenobi seems to investigate changing the jedi order dogmas. Yet luke skywalker in the mandalorian follows the old jedi order by the book.

How much could Kenobi actually teach Luke?
He was killed shortly after starting.

How much could he use his Force Ghost powers to continue teaching?

Nobody knows the limits of that...

8 minutes ago, Pieter Boelen said:

How much could Kenobi actually teach Luke?
He was killed shortly after starting.

How much could he use his Force Ghost powers to continue teaching?

Nobody knows the limits of that...

Well, Luke didn't reproduce the concept of "The Jedi Council", its affiliation to the Republic, the concept of one Apprentice by Masters, it was already a big step...

On 11/02/2022 at 6:34 PM, Bespin said:

Well, Luke didn't reproduce the concept of "The Jedi Council", its affiliation to the Republic, the concept of one Apprentice by Masters, it was already a big step...

Good points there.

But I do wonder if he just never got that far yet?

With him having to start over, it was all rather small-scale...

Or are you taking things from Legends too?
I must admit I myself didn't get that far yet.

Didn't get beyond the Zahn books there; so haven't a clue how things were handled in New Jedi Order times.

On 11/02/2022 at 4:40 AM, mstrox said:

My preferred reading is similar to the EU and I believe modern canon as well - the ghosts aren’t always hanging around.  Basically, what we saw is what we got (hence why Luke was so surprised to see Yoda again in TLJ).  Luke had a bunch of old books and maybe holocrons and had to navigate the New Way and the old ways.

Yeah I appreciate Heir to the Empire actually giving the in-universe reason of Ben Kenobi's ghost having one last meeting with Luke (great scene btw) and saying that he is passing on, almost like being a force ghost is a state of purgatory

On 17/02/2022 at 12:33 AM, crypto said:

Reckon we'll see Alderaan again?

Would be nice!

So far, we had only, wha... two shots?

Getting to know the place would add quite the extra importance to seeing it blown up...

(Could it be that this would turn Ep 4 too dark and that's why they wouldn't want to show it?)

On 14/02/2022 at 5:13 PM, Pieter Boelen said:

Or are you taking things from Legends too?
I must admit I myself didn't get that far yet.

Didn't get beyond the Zahn books there; so haven't a clue how things were handled in New Jedi Order times.

To be fair...it was luke the master and the rest were apprentices. I think there was kam solusar a former republic jedi that taught jedi lore. But then after the phantom menace it all became prequelized as the films were being released. Master-apprentice, council, etc....

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

To be fair...it was luke the master and the rest were apprentices. I think there was kam solusar a former republic jedi that taught jedi lore.

Indeed I remember the students teaching each other as well.

Kam was one of the students; but he helped with lightsaber training, if I recall.

3 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

They showed the destruction of Mandalore

And Order 66 is pretty dark

I mean, "blowing up an unseen planet" is one thing.

Showing PLEEENTY content on that planet and then blowing it up is quite a bit harsher.

So heavy use of Alderaan anywhere else could retroactively make Ep 4 darker;

even if it doesn't show anything else extra there.

Just trying to think of reasons why they might tread lightly...?

The Mandalore thing looked more like "bombing" and less like "people getting killed".

But indeed Order 66, you really see all the Jedi actively being murdered.

Quite harsh as well, yes.

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

I thought they hit it with the first one....

That's not what I meant and you know it. :P

• 3 weeks later...

The attack of the clones haircut.... Is not like old bens... That they did in revenge of the sith... It rejuvenates him somehow... Which is weird considering thry should be making him older... 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Come on EW you're better than that

Where’d you read that? I don’t see that in the article I linked. Then again I’m almost sure they won’t show us Vader at all in any promotional material 

Article namedrops, but doesn’t show, 

Spoiler

the Grand Inquisitor, who is a character from Star Wars Rebels.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Come on EW you're better than that

You have more faith in EW than I ever will!

End of an era, too - this is EW’s last print edition.  Used to be essential bathroom reading for me every Friday when I was a kid.

I am wondering if we might be looking at a Clone Wars era flashback (which would be totally cool with me).  I'd imagine they'd make more of a makeup attempt to bridge to Guinness' age.

2 hours ago, Brando said:

Where’d you read that? I don’t see that in the article I linked. Then again I’m almost sure they won’t show us Vader at all in any promotional material 

In some ways I don't understand that. Why wouldn't they? It's rumored to be the same suit as was used in Rogue One, and even if not, there's only so much variation you can get in a life-action Darth Vader suit. Remember, he was even shown in Rogue One promos, and that was his first live-action appearance in over a decade.

It wouldn't surprise me if they don't show Hayden's face at all in promo material, but Vader? Idk.

30 minutes ago, Hedji said:

I am wondering if we might be looking at a Clone Wars era flashback (which would be totally cool with me).  I'd imagine they'd make more of a makeup attempt to bridge to Guinness' age.

My dream scenario is a Clone Wars flashback with Hayden, Ewan, Temuera Morrison as Captain Rex/Commander Cody, and a de-aged Rosario Dawson (Ahsoka). Not sure how likely that is, but one can dream.

29 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Will this series make the "When we last met I was but a learner" line in the original make even less sense in the context of the current canon?  Almost certainly yes!

I used to think that, but the line is actually "When I left you, I was but the learner." People (myself included) have apparently been misremembering that line for decades. The actual line doesn't necessarily imply that they never met again in the time since ROTS; "left" obviously refers to when he stopped being Obi-Wan's apprentice and joined the dark side. So the line is referring to the time during ROTS, and there's nothing that says they can't meet after.