OBI-WAN KENOBI (Disney+ series)

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

One thing bothers me:

Hide contents

Why does Reva know Darth Vader and Anakin Skywalker are the same person? I always assumed he was supposed to be presumed dead.

Actually, I do know why. So that Obi-Wan learns he's alive. 🤣

Wait, Obi-Wan didn't know of Darth Vader? For 10 years? He seems to be startled when he hears the name... Oh never mind... ;)

Karol

We see younglings at the start of Part 1. Perhaps we will discover that Reva was one of them. She may have seen or heard something, or talked with other survivors. 

Surely Kenobi thought Anakin was dead because he left him in pieces for dead, but left Mustafar before Palpy arrived. 

I am glad we didn't see those younglings get killed in Part 1. Too soon. 

7 hours ago, crocodile said:
Spoiler

Wait, Obi-Wan didn't know of Darth Vader? For 10 years? He seems to be startled when he hears the name... Oh never mind... ;)

This briefly bothered me, but the apologetic line I take is

Spoiler

Vader isn't exactly a well-known political figure, and not somebody to mouth off on Galactic Twitter every so often. His role in governance is probably quite limited, and an exiled ex-Jedi dealing with PTSD on a backwater planet while keeping his head down may not be up to speed on current events of that obscurity. It's a bit like polling random people on the street as to who's the current Secretary-General of the UN.

I'm actually more interested in how Reva knows Vader == Anakin. I think that will be significant and explicable. Sure hope so, anyway.

I think what bothered me so most was

Spoiler

why the hell Obi-Wan refuses for so long to save Leia who's been captured. I mean in ANH he's immediatly ready to save her from the Empire while bringing an absolut untrained Luke with him. But here he's like "Hey that's none of my business if the 10 years old girl that we have to protect dies"

Spoiler

So that fanboys can have another moan about Disney ruining their childhood hero. 🤣

The simple answer is: so that he can have an arc.

Karol

After ep2 I especially feel this will just be pointless filler that tells us nothing new about any of these characters, only  show them so we can go oh hey look it's this character I know this character oh hey look they met this character. All it will achieve is make the OT line up even less with the rest of the earlier timeline. Like Vader being very not Shaw, them having met, Leia after all these adventures addressing Kenobi like "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father’s request to you in person"? It's obvious they've never met.

1 hour ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yuck, in disney + they did a five minute resume of obi wan s journey in the prequels, and having 6 hours of williams music to draw from…they use athematical trailer music. Its vomiting

Yep, that was corny AF.

6 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

I think what bothered me so most was

Hide contents

why the hell Obi-Wan refuses for so long to save Leia who's been captured. I mean in ANH he's immediatly ready to save her from the Empire while bringing an absolut untrained Luke with him. But here he's like "Hey that's none of my business if the 10 years old girl that we have to protect dies"

It’s textbook Heroe’s Journey to 

Spoiler

Refuse the first call to adventure.  Just as the Phony Jedi character is The Fool on the road character who turns out to be helpful.  I’m actually good with them using Joseph Campbell as a guide  

This would’ve been better as a 2.5 hour movie.

7 hours ago, Holko said:

ll it will achieve is make the OT line up even less with the rest of the earlier timeline. Like Vader being very not Shaw, them having met, Leia after all these adventures addressing Kenobi like "General Kenobi. Years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father’s request to you in person"? It's obvious they've never met.

And that the Jedi seem to have been extinct for a good three decades in the original, not a meager 19 years, with an active Jedi hunt appearantly still going on not nine years prior to the time of the original film.

I also feel like the original film is in danger of getting lost in the shuffle: next to all of these prequels - Episodes I-III, Solo, Rogue One, Kenobi and whatever else - it feels all the quainter.

4 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Yuck, in disney + they did a five minute resume of obi wan s journey in the prequels, and having 6 hours of williams music to draw from…they use athematical trailer music. Its vomiting

Yeah, that was some reality cooking show level shit

No complaints at all, Stu?  If not, that’s awesome!

I loved most of it.  But have some difficulty with how soft some of the action and performances felt.   I hope it gets better.  For example 

Spoiler

When she impaled the other Inquisitor, it was limp and soft. I wanted to be shocked, scared even. 

And can I say I am not a wire watcher, but her rooftop moves and jumps defied physics in such a way that you couldn’t help but feel the wires that were painted out. 

I’ll be happy if after this and the Book of Boba, we never see Parkour in Star Wars again. It’s already an outdated action technique that has fallen into parody years ago. 

I adore Star Wars.  I’m the guy who loves Rise of Skywalker and Book of Boba.  But I’m expecting a higher standard with these Legacy characters. The last time we saw Ewan in the role, it was some of the most heartbreaking and dramatic moments of the entire saga.  So there’s got to be a very good reason to go further with Obi and Ani, other than to say because they could and the actors were on board. 

People complaining about the trailer music in the “previously on Star Wars segment”: you do realize that’s not really FOR people who post on message boards about that stuff, right?  That’s supposed to catch up the normies who may have seen the movies once or twice in the past decade, for whom Trailer Music has been market tested and Works

1 hour ago, Holko said:

of course you did

I don’t like everything.  You know I’ll complain all day about how dreadfully boring Clone Wars is.

9 hours ago, Holko said:

It's obvious they've never met.

Bail Organa: “Have the girl’s memory wiped” :lol:

I'm currently watching the first half of the first movie, sorry I mean the first Episode (well, this series IS a trilogy if we think about it twice)... and my eyes are wet.

This first scene with Leia! :crymore:

Disney you sons of a Bantha!

8 hours ago, mstrox said:

People complaining about the trailer music in the “previously on Star Wars segment”: you do realize that’s not really FOR people who post on message boards about that stuff, right?  That’s supposed to catch up the normies who may have seen the movies once or twice in the past decade, for whom Trailer Music has been market tested and Works

Of course, which is why in the official story recap trailer for the show they played wallpaper trailer music with no themes

…Wait, it’s mostly scored with actual John Williams tracks? How strange!

9 hours ago, mstrox said:

You do realize that the normies are always getting excited over hearing tunes like Duel of the Fates and Battle of the Heroes in the trailers, right?

14 hours ago, Chen G. said:

And that the Jedi seem to have been extinct for a good three decades in the original, not a meager 19 years, with an active Jedi hunt appearantly still going on not nine years prior to the time of the original film.

I also feel like the original film is in danger of getting lost in the shuffle: next to all of these prequels - Episodes I-III, Solo, Rogue One, Kenobi and whatever else - it feels all the quainter.

I’ve said before you’re wrong on this. In the original film, Luke was conceived by a Jedi who was not Darth Vader, hence this conception took place ~20 years ago, hence it was less than 20 years before the film that Darth Vader “turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights… betrayed and murdered your father. NOW the Jedi are all but extinct.” In fact it’s not till day 3 of the film that “The last remnants of the Old Republic have been swept away.”

Yeah, the public amnesia regarding the Jedi in Star Wars has always been nonsense - one of many such leaps in the OT.  We grew up with it so it doesn’t seem so weird, and ultimately it doesn’t matter because their absence suits the setting and the story.  The only people who would possibly care are the bean counters that update Wookieepedia.  With newer movies, people are quick to pick up on same and similar nonsense and dramatic shorthand because they’re older and cynical, and they watched six YouTube videos by mouthbreathers about everything “wrong” with the movie.

1 hour ago, Pellaeon said:

Luke was conceived by a Jedi who was not Darth Vader, hence this conception took place ~20 years ago, hence it was less than 20 years before the film that Darth Vader “turned to evil, helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights… betrayed and murdered your father. NOW the Jedi are all but extinct.”

I've always assumed that happened when Ben and Luke's father were already in exile.

This backstory mostly existed inside George Lucas' mind, which means its not necessarily free of internal contradictons. But I do think in watching the film, one feels the Empire had been in power for a long, long time.

But still it's a little weird that in the prequels people are aware that the Sith have been exterminated a thousand years ago, but 20 years after killing the jedi hardly anyone seems to remember them.

When do the Jedi even come up in the OT, outside of Luke talking to Jedi? Who's supposed to remember them and why and how are they relevant to the rebellion going on?

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

But still it's a little weird that in the prequels people are aware that the Sith have been exterminated a thousand years ago, but 20 years after killing the jedi hardly anyone seems to remember them.

That's how it goes when history doesn't get written down.

Well, episode 2 was back to being Mando-esque travel to a new planet and dink around for the whole episode just to leave it at the end. The pacing of the first episode, different locations, beautiful cinematography, showing the sacrifice and dedication of Ben’s monotony… it was the best Disney+ SW episode yet. But then right back to bad chase scenes and just plot getting jerked along.

Also Leia better hit her head real hard and forget this whole thing happened otherwise her holo message to start ANH is just ridiculous. Are they going to shoehorn a fix, or just continue to ignore the reason that all this exists in the first place - A New Hope. That’s what Rogue One got right. It didn’t mess with a single thing about the OT. It filled in the gaps and made the story MORE powerful. I hope this series doesn’t force a story where there clearly shouldn’t have been one. 

Do they call him obi wan kenobi in front of leia? Obi wan introduced himself as “ben”.

Regarding leias hologram message….Obi wan should have been alderaans resident jedi protector in the clone wars…because as the films and cartoons show, obi wan never fought at the orders of bail organa in the clone wars…. Or bail organa should have been the republics war minister or something…

I watched the first movie twice (I mean the first two Episodes of the limited series) and the only weakness I saw, is the pretty uncharismatic interpretation of Rupert Friend.

Maybe it's difficult to shine when you have a snowball head.

So now, more about the Jedi body count... Spoiler Time!

Spoiler

At the beginning of the show, you saw five younglings escaping Order 66. One has been killed in the first two Episodes, one turned to the dark side (you know which one). So there are three more of this group to hunt...

10 hours ago, PokeDocMatt said:

Well, episode 2 was back to being Mando-esque travel to a new planet and dink around for the whole episode just to leave it at the end. The pacing of the first episode, different locations, beautiful cinematography, showing the sacrifice and dedication of Ben’s monotony… it was the best Disney+ SW episode yet. But then right back to bad chase scenes and just plot getting jerked along.

Also Leia better hit her head real hard and forget this whole thing happened otherwise her holo message to start ANH is just ridiculous. Are they going to shoehorn a fix, or just continue to ignore the reason that all this exists in the first place - A New Hope. That’s what Rogue One got right. It didn’t mess with a single thing about the OT. It filled in the gaps and made the story MORE powerful. I hope this series doesn’t force a story where there clearly shouldn’t have been one. 

Well that’s certainly not true. Rogue One re-contextualises it so that the Tantive IV was previously an active participant of the Battle of Scarif and Vader knows 100% that the Death Star plans are physically on board. This makes Leia claiming to Vader that they were ‘on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan’ ridiculous. The portrayal of Vader is also jarringly different, he goes from berserker ‘I will get the plans at any cost myself’ mode to the big cheese that lets his minions do most of the work and only exerts himself when absolutely necessary

Then you have the retcon of the exhaust port leading to a chain reaction being an intentional design flaw. This makes the Rebel’s plan less of a last desperate act to destroy this insurmountable war machine and more of a foregone conclusion, provided the flaw was explicitly detailed in the plans. If it wasn’t, and that information died with Jyn, then it becomes even more unnecessary. The exhaust port leading to the destruction of the Death Star is not a plot hole, the fact there’s ray-shielding, and many turbo lasers surrounding it suggests the Empire is aware of this weakness already (one of the Imperial officers even tells Tarkin that they’re aware this is the case and there’s a possible danger). Worse than that, the target is so hard to hit that you literally need the Force to guide you, so what on earth was Galen going for by making it so hard for the Rebels? The whole conspiracy to deliberately build in a weakness into the Death Star completely unbeknownst to the Empire just doesn’t line up with A New Hope at all

4 hours ago, Stu said:

I really really really want Palpatine to show up in this series.

You'll be disappointed. The series covers a period (until ROTJ) where we feel the presence of the Emperor, but we don't see him.

Sorry, I talked about Ian McDiarmid, about his presence in the flesh, his time is over in SW.

Palpatine is in Rebels and countless canon comics and novels between ROTS and ESB.  I assumed Palpatine was a foregone conclusion once Vader was announced for this series.  Not as much of a sure thing as Liam Neeson, but more of a sure thing than Yoda.

McDiarmid was heavily present in the recent SW celebrations yeah? I imagine we'll be seeing him pop up in Obi-Wan, most likely in scenes with Vader. He's very enthusiastic about his role, I doubt he'd say no if they asked him.

20 hours ago, mstrox said:

Yeah, the public amnesia regarding the Jedi in Star Wars has always been nonsense - one of many such leaps in the OT.  We grew up with it so it doesn’t seem so weird, and ultimately it doesn’t matter because their absence suits the setting and the story.  The only people who would possibly care are the bean counters that update Wookieepedia.  With newer movies, people are quick to pick up on same and similar nonsense and dramatic shorthand because they’re older and cynical, and they watched six YouTube videos by mouthbreathers about everything “wrong” with the movie.

I agree with all of this. Youtube film "critics" have really lowered the bar when it comes to film discourse, based purely on the fact that most of them are only interested in watching the same bunch of films over and over again in a single genre. Film criticism has traditionally been an area in which the writers watch hundreds of different films in a given year, so the critique comes from a place of broad knowledge rather than the genre-specific, obsessive pedanticism evident in the Youtube garbage.

That said, I always figured the whole public amnesia about the Jedi was more related to the fact that even at the height of the Republic there only appears to be a few thousand of them, relative to the hundreds of billions of people in the galaxy. Most people would never have seen one, so a mythological status was effectively already in place when the Empire took over. If you really want to get deep, add in a massive propaganda machine expunging them from the records and some "magic" (Dark Side Force bullshit) and it's not much of a leap to get where we are in A New Hope. It's certainly nothing I've ever given much thought to until I wrote this post.