New interview with Williams and Anne-Sophie

MikeH

Nice interview. I so desperately wish there was an interviewer who further investigated the specifics of his early years, since he clearly remembers a lot -- rather than just go into more general areas or well-known areas.

Although he was a bit off on the "We've only done film music for 80 years" comment, of course. 

18 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He probably meant that he's only done film music for 80 years.

He, he...well, that's closer to the truth; some 66-67 years.

54 minutes ago, Thor said:

True, but original film music had existed for three decades prior.

That’s correct, but I think JW refers specifically to the artform as intended by the synchronisation of original music specially written to picture for a sound film, i.e. from 1933 onwards.

45 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

That’s correct, but I think JW refers specifically to the artform as intended by the synchronisation of original music specially written to picture for a sound film, i.e. from 1933 onwards.

Yes, hopefully that's what he means. Of course, there are examples of that type of music prior to KING KONG, post-JAZZ SINGER, even in the US, although far more marginal. I just get my "knickers in a twist" every time someone sorta says originally composed film music began with that film or that year. Those statements mostly come from Americans.