John Williams reveals 100 minutes of Rise of the Skywalker has been recorded

kelliwisethebrave

Where was this? What forum at Tanglewood would he have mentioned that? 

I suspect they mean 100 minutes of completed writing, not recordings, also. Still, if true, he should be able to finish the last 40 minutes by October. 

Edit: First reply added

Will we ever hear the contents of this apparent Q&A with Newman?! I wonder if either said anything about Spielberg/West Side Story and Williams not doing it?

Yoda’s Theme and what is likely the Contact-End Credits of CE3K.  Notably both are Williams at his most Hollywood Golden Age, channeling the romantic spirit of Max Steiner.

Although maybe by “a few measures” he literally meant bars 47-53 of “Barry’s Kidnapping” or something ;) 

At Film Night JW just said he's recorded 100 minutes of the score already and returns to LA tomorrow to finish the last 40 minutes! Seems to contradict what Don said, 34 minutes in the can?

He also specifically referred to JJ's "quick scenes," so it looks like the film's edit could be similar to TFA (breakneck pace, lots of shorter cues).

Also, from the D23 teaser description:

•New John Williams music was also played during the reel.

•Leia’s theme was also played.

Could just be trailer house music. Most people, apparently, can't discern the difference.

Two hours and 20 minutes of music, at least? That’s excellent! But how long will this movie be? I also wonder how much Williams will have to do after the final sessions. I imagine he has seen a mostly complete cut of the film but who knows with Abrams involved. 

8 minutes ago, Balahkay said:

Two hours and 20 minutes of music, at least? That’s excellent! But how long will this movie be? I also wonder how much Williams will have to do after the final sessions. I imagine he has seen a mostly complete cut of the film but who knows with Abrams involved. 

And even though Williams jokes about scoring these films from start to finish, even TFA had multiple stretches without music. So allowing for 10 music-less minutes, the runtime is likely around 2:30. JJ will probably trim it down to 2:25 before release.

And I'd be shocked if Williams didn't have at least a day of pick-ups in November, as with TFA.

well it does go with the rumor that he's retiring this year .Unless he does something for Spielberg which might be a long time from now (Indy 5), I don't see him scoring a random movie like Book Thief

so this is potentially the last HYPE JWfan threads for a new JW score coming out .

Yeah, I think Williams said TLJ was 187 minutes. Only 142 are audible in the film, but we probably know of another 10 minutes worth from deleted scenes, concert suites, source music (that we've only heard fragments of) and alternates (the ones we know about). 

Where the heck does Williams infer anywhere in that quote that he intends to retire? He jests that this is the end of his involvement in Star Wars; nowhere does he imply that he's had enough of scoring altogether.

The only thing stopping him from scoring Spielberg's films over the last 5 years has been scheduling conflicts with Star Wars, and his illness in 2015. I suspect Williams will return to scoring all his films once TROS is done and dusted. The onus is back on Spielberg to maintain his recent output now that Williams is available.