The Official DANIEL PEMBERTON Thread

Disco Stu

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/the-dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-vol-1

https://www.varesesarabande.com/products/dark-crystal-age-of-resistance-vol-2-the

1. The Dark Crystal: The Age Of Resistance (3:40)
2. Another World, Another Time (3:24)
3. Story Of The Dark Crystal (3:11)
4. Rian + Mira Dreamfast (4:12)
5. Aughra Awakes (2:01)
6. The Crystal Chamber (3:13)
7. Essence Draining (2:44)
8. Into The Catacombs (2:09)
9. Deet Enters Thra (2:05)
10. Dzenpo! (2:53)
11. Her Light Faded (2:34)
12. What Lies At The Dream’s End (3:16)
13. Together We Fight (4:46)
14. The Blue Flames Part I (3:49)
15. Thra Is Calling (1:39)
16. Outcast (1:46)
17. The Journey (2:02)
18. The Hunter + The Storm (2:32)
19. Dreamspace (2:36)
20. Speak For The Dead (2:42)
21. Aughra Returns / Peeper Beetle Ceremony (2:45)
22. The Dark Crystal: The Age Of Hope (5:35)

1. An Old Story – Daniel Pemberton (2:44)
2. Brea And The Library – Samuel Sim (1:31)
3. Remember Your Oath – Samuel Sim (1:21)
4. The Darkening –- Daniel Pemberton (2:13)
5. Puppet Show – Daniel Pemberton, Samuel Sim (5:52)
6. Deet In The Woods – Samuel Sim (2:08)
7. The Three Brothers Rise – Daniel Pemberton (1:02)
8. Sisters – Samuel Sim (2:09)
9. Outside Podling Wayhouse – Daniel Pemberton (1:44)
10. The Mystics – Samuel Sim (4:56)
11. Tales From The Sanctuary Tree – Daniel Pemberton (2:14)
12. The Blue Flames Part II – Daniel Pemberton (2:48)
13. Song Of Thra – Daniel Pemberton (4:15)
14. All-Maudra – Samuel Sim (3:07)
15. Our Sister Is Gone – Samuel Sim (2:25)
16. A Few Traitors – Samuel Sim (3:53)
17. The Aureyal + The Throne Room – Daniel Pemberton (2:49)
18. Preparation For Battle – Daniel Pemberton (3:02)
19. Attack Of The Arathim – Daniel Pemberton, Samuel Sim (5:27)
20. The Seven Clans – Daniel Pemberton (2:48)
21. A New Crown – Samuel Sim (4:52)
22. Tricky Chamberlain – Daniel Pemberton (2:18)
23. The Skeksis Arrive – Samuel Sim (3:18)
24. Battle For Thra – Samuel Sim (2:35)
25. The Scientist Engineers – Daniel Pemberton (2:09)
26. The Dark Crystal: End Credits – Daniel Pemberton (2:23)

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, Smeltington said:

Awesome, he turned out to be the perfect choice the first time around.

Yep! Loved his score for the first film and glad he's back for more!

• 1 year later...

In general I'm not a huge fan of Pemberton (based on the scores I've heard, it seems like he rarely writes in the classic orchestral style of Desplat, Giacchino, Silvestri, etc.). That said, I do really adore this cue: 

Beautiful chord progressions. Simple but very effective. 

He's a very versatile composers. And he has a very distinct sound. He doesn't do 'classic orchestral' scores a lot. 

But parts of The Trial Of Chicago 7, The Awakening, Steve Jobs, All The Money In The World + full scores like Enola Holmes & Being The Ricardos are his most orchestral. And all are terrific I think

• 2 months later...

Daniel Pemberton Scoring Tom George’s ‘See How They Run’

Daniel Pemberton (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, King Arthur: Legend of the Sword, The Trial of the Chicago 7, Steve Jobs, The Man from U.N.C.L.E., Birds of Prey, Being the Ricardos) has composed the original music for the upcoming murder mystery See How They Run. The film is directed by Tom George (Defending the Guilty) and stars Sam Rockwell, Saoirse Ronan, David Oyelowo, Adrien Brody, Harris Dickinson, Ruth Wilson, Sian Clifford, Jacob Fortune-Lloyd, Reece Shearsmith, Shirley Henderson, Paul Chahidi, Pearl Chanda, Charlie Cooper and Pippa Bennett-Warner. The movie is set in the West End of 1950s London and follows a world-weary Inspector and an eager rookie as they investigate the murder of a crew member during the production of a movie version of a smash-hit play. Mark Chapell wrote the screenplay. Damian Jones (The Iron Lady, Belle) and Gina Carter (Snow Cake, Bright Young Things) are producing the project. See How They Run will be released in select theaters on September 30, 2022 by Searchlight Pictures.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/06/14/daniel-pemberton-scoring-tom-georges-see-how-they-run/

• 4 months later...

We watched See How The Run on Friday night (it's on HBO Max now) and the score was really good in it!

The movie isn't great by any means, unfortunately (and I was really looking forward to it based on the trailer), but it isn't bad either.  Saoirse Ronan was really very good, but Sam Rockwell wasn't allowed to let loose at all, which was very strange.  I guess I'd say he was miscast.

Anyway, I had already enjoyed the score a bit from my one listen to the OST album, but now having seen the film I'm sure I'll appreciate it more on second listen. It makes itself known in the film, it really drove the story along.  Fun stuff!

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Brónach said:

i like this concept album

Alas, there isn't much 'concept' left when it's presented like that. THE DARK CRYSTAL still remains on my "to whittle" list.

• 1 month later...

Anyone checked out the LTP concerts for 'Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse?"  It premiered in New York City (Brooklyn's Kings Theatre) this past March.

Here's the generic description.

Featuring a soundtrack that blends symphonic orchestral music with hip-hop, "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert" pairs a screening of the Academy Award®-winning animated film with live musicians and turntables featuring a DJ scratcher live on stage. Emmy®-winner Daniel Pemberton composed a sprawling score of boundary-pushing original music that is complimented with song contributions by Post Malone, Lil Wayne, Jaden Smith and Nicki Minaj. The hip-hop based score results in a sonic universe that is woven throughout the fabric of the film, supporting its themes of resilience and universal heroism.

Here's a few videos from that event.

And here are future scheduled dates (courtesy of 'Movies In Concert' website)--both in the USA and the UK.

Spoiler
Date Country State
(USA only)
City Title
29 Aug 2023 30.gif USA Florida Clearwater Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
30 Aug 2023 30.gif USA Florida Orlando Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
02 Sep 2023 30.gif USA Tennessee Nashville Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
12 Sep 2023 30.gif USA Texas San Antonio Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
13 Sep 2023 30.gif USA Texas Dallas Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
15 Sep 2023 30.gif USA Texas Sugar Land Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
16 Sep 2023 30.gif USA Louisiana New Orleans Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
22 Sep 2023 30.gif USA Kansas Overland Park Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
03 Oct 2023 30.gif USA Indiana Indianapolis Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse in Concert
04 Oct 2023 30.gif USA Wisconsin Madison Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
06 Oct 2023 30.gif USA New Jersey Newark Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
07 Oct 2023 30.gif USA Massachusetts Boston Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
08 Oct 2023 30.gif USA Pennsylvania Hershey Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
13 Oct 2023 30.gif USA Florida Clearwater Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
22 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Edinburgh Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
23 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   York Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
24 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Manchester Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
25 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Glasgow Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
26 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   London Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
27 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Sheffield Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
28 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Birmingham Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
29 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Liverpool Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
29 Oct 2023 30.gif USA Nebraska Lincoln Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
30 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Nottingham Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
31 Oct 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Cardiff Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
01 Nov 2023 28.gif United Kingdom   Bath Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert
05 Nov 2023 30.gif USA Arizona Tucson Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse Live in Concert

Definitely preferred this score to the first one : whereas Into the Spider-Verse was basically hip-hop with a few symphonic passages, this one adds more diversity : we still have this hip-hop inspiration, but also a lot of rock (for Spider-Gwen and Spider-Punk), a bit of Indian music (for Spider-Man India) and futuristic sound design for Spider-Man 2099. Moreover, I love the theme for Gwen, which I think is new (though I can be mistaken). The action music is very fun, and extremely well mixed in the movie. If I have one big thing I disliked, it may be the lack of interest of the calm moments, almost all scored with the same motif, if not only with anonymous Inception-like chords. Loved it in the film anyway, and I can’t wait to listen to the soundtrack !

Yeah, Gwen's theme, and she actually has another idea which seems to be an emotional theme for her relationship with her father, and which plays in many of her calm moments. In this track at 0:24 you can hear that emotional variation a couple of times, which also plays in Right to Remain Silent and some other cues, before going into her main theme at 1:33, which is one of my favorite parts of the whole score.

Actually, from the first movie the only character themes that return are the Spider-People theme and Miles' theme, but I really liked that Pemberton brought back two different ideas that in the first score felt like a one-off, but transformed them into motifs in this movie.

One of them is the whistling melody from Visions Brooklyn, which in this movie is used as a sort of "Anomaly motif", playing in Miles Sketchbook as well as all through The Anomaly.

The other idea is for The Collider, used a couple of times in the first movie, but here becoming an important idea for The Spot, playing alongside his new theme, showcasing the important connection between the device and the villain.

Great little details I found, which I think make the score quite intelligent and rewarding! Also, one of my favorite bits in the new score is the idea that pops up at 5:25 of Falling Apart until the end of the cue, mixed with other themes, which appears in other tracks apparently representing the portals and the travels between universes. A really cool motif, and I really like how Pemberton mixes it with Miles' theme or the Spider-People theme!

I was listening to a podcast where Pemberton was a guest.

He talked about an upcoming project, where he did the score in 1 week. He said it's for a very iconic director who has only made about 10 films.

And he also says "it's a director who has a, let's say, very colourful reputation for how he treats composers. He likes to have a lot of control over the music".

Anyone got any idea who that might be?

Terrence Malick seems to fit the bill, but his next film already has a composer attached (Eleni Karaindrou). That is unless they've been replaced and it hasn't been properly announced yet.

2 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Terrence Malick seems to fit the bill, but his next film already has a composer attached (Eleni Karaindrou). That is unless they've been replaced and it hasn't been properly announced yet.

He did mention that he first came it to score some scenes that they weren't happy with and ended uo scoring the whole film. So it could be

11 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I was listening to a podcast where Pemberton was a guest.

He talked about an upcoming project, where he did the score in 1 week. He said it's for a very iconic director who has only made about 10 films.

And he also says "it's a director who has a, let's say, very colourful reputation for how he treats composers. He likes to have a lot of control over the music".

Anyone got any idea who that might be?

Could it be Michael Mann? he’s directed 11 films and definitely fits the bill for colorful reputation, and he has a new Ferrari movie coming up.

Terrence Malick / The Way of the Wind and Michael Mann / Ferrari are both great guesses for the clue

But the bit about "a director who has a, let's say, very colourful reputation for how he treats composers" fits Malick more

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Terrence Malick / The Way of the Wind and Michael Mann / Ferrari are both great guesses for the clue

But the bit about "a director who has a, let's say, very colourful reputation for how he treats composers" fits Malick more

Ehhh, Mann has had so many replacement composers (Edelman on Mohicans, Badelt on Miami Vice, Atticus Ross and others on blackhat, etc) that I think he’s at the same level. He’s worked with more composers than he’s directed films!

edit: compiling a list for fun:

- Tangerine Dream on Thief and The Keep

- Craig Safan on Thief (apparently)

- Michel Rubini, the Reds on Manhunter

- Trevor Jones, Randy Edelman on Last of the Mohicans

- Elliot Goldenthal on Heat (and he had the write the whole score twice!) and Public Enemies

- Lisa Gerrard and Pieter Bourke on The Insider and Ali

- James Newton Howard, Antonio Pinto, and at least one other guy on Collateral

- John Murphy, Klaus Badelt and Miami Vice

- Harry Gregson-Williams, Atticus Ross’s team, and Ryan Amon on blackhat

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well now I'm curious what you said

Ah, I said the same thing about Karaindrou being the composer of The Way of the wind (which I'm dying to see and listen to the soundtrack) according to imdb,  but I saw it was mentioned some posts above.

By the way, I haven't heard anything from this composer.

I saw everyone raving about the soundtrack to the new Spiderman movie.

I "tried" to listen to it at spotify, but unfortunately couldn't finish it. Not for me..

On 07/06/2023 at 9:21 AM, HunterTech said:

Whoa, great news! Malick-Karaindrou sounds like a match made in heaven. She already has plenty of experience providing beautiful scores for another 'slow cinema' master, Theo Angeloupolous, so this could work out well, whatever existing pieces Malick puts in.

Now that JNH already worked with Malick, I'd love a collaboration between him (Malick) and Thomas Newman. Malick would be the ideal director to provide Newman with a chance to write his signature atmospheric piano music.

On 08/06/2023 at 5:20 AM, Thor said:

Whoa, great news! Malick-Karaindrou sounds like a match made in heaven. She already has plenty of experience providing beautiful scores for another 'slow cinema' master, Theo Angeloupolous, so this could work out well, whatever existing pieces Malick puts in.

*post made about how composer could have been replaced*

No one:

Thor: That's great news, she's great!

I had a tiny, tiny, vague hope that perhaps Goldenthal was doing it, simply because he (or rather his PR people) posted social media pictures of him being in the studio recording something right around the time someone else posted something about the music recording of FERRARI, but of course it was always a faint hope.

Pemberton can do anything, I'm sure he delivers on this as well.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I had a tiny, tiny, vague hope that perhaps Goldenthal was doing it, simply because he (or rather his PR people) posted social media pictures of him being in the studio recording something right around the time someone else posted something about the music recording of FERRARI, but of course it was always a faint hope.

Pemberton can do anything, I'm sure he delivers on this as well.

He may have been the rejected composer

On 07/06/2023 at 11:21 PM, Mr. Who said:

The subway chase cue sounds a lot like Dark Phoenix. I wonder if it was used as temp.

The track list on Wikipedia claims that a portion of Dark Phoenix was used, can't find any credit or reference for it anywhere else mind:Screenshot_20230618_070316_Chrome.jpg

5 hours ago, timelord327 said:

The track list on Wikipedia claims that a portion of Dark Phoenix was used, can't find any credit or reference for it anywhere else mind:Screenshot_20230618_070316_Chrome.jpg

That’s interesting. I wonder if it’s credited in the end credits. Seems like someone wrote it because it sounded similar.

1 hour ago, MedigoScan said:

Sounds even more random than Sunshine music appearing in ww84

Yeah the Sunshine cue was just terrible in WW84, very distracting. All you needed was a heroic variation of the WW theme or the hero theme (fireworks).

• 1 month later...