Jeremy Soule

Koray Savas

He needs women to inspire him. You know, like Williams and Daisy Ridley? I don't know. It's pervy, but I get that part.

"He raped me" is...a very big accusation. Can't we have anything anymore without some controversy?

I always thought Ottman would be the one.  Disclaimer: not based on any rumors or anything just his association with Singer.  Who am I kidding I don't have enough of a career to torpedo with an errant post on JWFan.

Jesus H. Christ on a popsicle stick, let's hold back on the witch hunt, shall we? It's just a statement from a person that apparently also had employment issues. There has been no legal proceedings, or investigation into the matter, as far as I know. In this day and age, with accusations flying left and right, it's even more important than ever to await investigations and convictions before jumping to conclusions.

Just now, Dixon Hill said:

No mystery here Thor old pal.  No need to run defense.

I run neither defense nor prosecution. I just think the decent thing to do is to not "jump the gun", as Gruesome above says.

Skimming through that blog post is bizarre. 99% of it is her recounting some bad job/employment experience, there's hardly anything about 'rape' in it. To be perfectly honest, this stinks more of defamation than it does metoo, but again -- I won't make any judgements before an investigation has been conducted, if that will indeed happen. So should you all, and if you don't: Shame on you.

This happened 10 years ago, Thor. Jeremy Soule is a nobody outside the games industry. Really no reason to defame someone that has no fame. 

Defamation doesn't necessarily have to do with fame, it's about vilifying someone and their reputation as a person.

We live in a society that is too trigger-happy. Perhaps it's the general debate climate, propelled by your current US president and all that. But I often wish people had a tad more patience, and awaited their moral judgements untill steadfast evidence surfaced. Not just base it on twitter messages and blog posts and whatnot.

As for Soule's standing as a composer, I believe he's slated to work on the new LOTR series on Amazon? That's a pretty big assignment right there.

True. Missed that part. Regardless, he's been a rather famous name for a couple of decades now. Even to those of us who don't normally follow the game music scene very well.

Will be interesting to see what comes out of this news story, if anything.

Perhaps I should've prefaced that comment by saying there are advances made by both men and women that are truly forms of harassment and abuse - I know people who are personally affected by this in the workplace and encounter this often, however there are people who, for whatever reason, really believe you can be raped through perceived micro-agressions. Those people are who my post refers to, those who are deluded into thinking someone who looks at another person, or gives a simple greeting is the equivalent of rape. It muddies the water of real victims who suffer from rape.

But yeah, ban me.

53 minutes ago, Dixon Hill said:

I always thought Ottman would be the one.  Disclaimer: not based on any rumors or anything just his association with Singer.  Who am I kidding I don't have enough of a career to torpedo with an errant post on JWFan.

I should've suspected something off about the dude who raved about Arrival of Tink, of all things.

While I do agree with the sentiment of not completely condemning a person until a thorough investigation has been made, what I will say is...this isn't a good look for Jeremy.

The blog this Nathalie wrote is _very_ compelling, thorough, and cohesive,  from the big to the small details--plus given that unlike some other metoo claims, there are multiple easily verifiable moments she's referred to that line up with past accounts, including her own (projects, dates, locations, documentation, etc.). While again it's not necessarily 100%, it's hard to imagine someone going through the effort of forging all of that, just for a --What, attention grabbing?, slanderous?-- kick at ol' Jeremy Soule.

10 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Perhaps I should've prefaced that comment by saying there are advances made by both men and women that are truly forms of harassment and abuse - I know people who are personally affected by this in the workplace and encounter this often, however there are people who, for whatever reason, really believe you can be raped through perceived micro-agressions. Those people are who my post refers to, those who are deluded into thinking someone who looks at another person, or gives a simple greeting is the equivalent of rape. It muddies the water of real victims who suffer from rape.

But yeah, ban me.

It might be too strong to use the word "rape", but I've been on the victim end of nonconsensual sexual activity.  You're not wrong, but do you feel that to be the case here? 

4 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I like The Arrival of Tink.

It's cute I guess, but outside of Flight to Neverland, Hook-Napped, Presenting the Hook, Ultimate War, and Banning Back Home, the score's never done much for me.

Allegedly - and for what's it's worth - there is a thread on FB where others recount similar stories about this guy. But of course he's a bit of a non-entity. Where's film music's *real* scandal?

And filmmakers / producers / executives purposely wanting bad music...Can we make that the scandal that it deserves to be?

8 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

The blog this Nathalie wrote is _very_ compelling, thorough, and cohesive,  from the big to the small details--plus given that unlike some other metoo claims, there are multiple easily verifiable moments she's referred to that line up with past accounts, including her own (projects, dates, locations, documentation, etc.). While again it's not necessarily 100%, it's hard to imagine someone going through the effort of forging all of that, just for a --What, attention grabbing?, slanderous?-- kick at ol' Jeremy Soule.

There's a lot of documentation about her troublesome work experience, but nothing of it has anything to do with 'rape' or any kind of sexual misconduct. She only writes about that -- documentation-free -- in a paragraph or two. That's why it smelled of defamation here, at least just as much as it smells of any kind of #metoo scandal.

Whatever the situation is (maybe we'll know in due time), I'm rather shocked jokes are flying low and high in this thread. I consider it a sad case whichever you look at it -- whether the woman was actually raped by Soule, or if she used her terrible work/project experiences to throw out incriminating, slanderous accusations against him.

I first discovered him in the late 90s, and remember finding it fascinating how someone who was just a couple of years older than me could have such success, and such access to big orchestras. His themes were immediate earworms, although not particularly original or complex, and kinda homophonic. It's all very pastiche. This theme, in particular, has been regularly stuck in my head for years: 

A lot of what she writes sounds quite reasonable to me.

I myself definitely find inspiration in women that I don't find in men.

And likewise, I often have a higher level of respect (and sometimes admiration) for them too.

I'm sure many other men, especially of the creative kind, feel the same.

John Williams for example, based on what I understand.

That means women do (or at the very least... could) hold a lot of power over those men.

The most negative thing that could be said about it is that it technically IS a type of discrimination.

But in its purest form, it's a positive discrimination.

And all that is a far cry from rape. In fact, for me, it's the exact polar opposite.

Even when women offered me the chance to take advantage of them, I respected them too much to take them up on it.

I see absolutely no harm in that.

Of course when somebody crosses the line to actual raping, it becomes a different story altogether.

But to prevent things from spiralling out of control more than they already do, I think it's important to distinguish between both sides and that there's a clear difference.

5 hours ago, Thor said:

There's a lot of documentation about her troublesome work experience, but nothing of it has anything to do with 'rape' or any kind of sexual misconduct. She only writes about that -- documentation-free -- in a paragraph or two. That's why it smelled of defamation here, at least just as much as it smells of any kind of #metoo scandal.

Whatever the situation is (maybe we'll know in due time), I'm rather shocked jokes are flying low and high in this thread. I consider it a sad case whichever you look at it -- whether the woman was actually raped by Soule, or if she used her terrible work/project experiences to throw out incriminating, slanderous accusations against him.

In a bout of sleeplessness, I just read through the entire blog including all the email correspondences. 90% of this is very familiar to any indie artist in the game and film industry.   Seriously, I could tell the exact same stories of being taken advantage of in the exact same ways by directors for the same amount of money with similar correspondences over the years. The industry is ripe with abuse. When you’re Indy, you don’t have anyone else protecting your interest. Add to that women are definitely in a more vulnerable position, easier to be taken advantage of in the industry. It’s definitely a little bit of the wild west, and can be very difficult for sensitive artist types no doubt about it. I think the bulk of the blog reads like a very helpful self analysis for the blogger to get her head around therapy issues that have been lingering heavily in her for years and really needed to get worked through.  Then, there is the Jeremy Soule sections which make up maybe 5%.  These roughly break down into two subcategories being hearsay which is speculative and not very convincing (Jeremy convincing his powerful friends to punish her at any other company she works at) and the other much more damaging allegations.   Her work performance, communication style, leave a lot to be desired and you can see she’s a very sensitive person in a very high pressure environment. I think it’s a very good read just to understand a window into what that environment was like for just about any indie artist working 1990’s-2015 or so minus the 5% Jeremy Soule specific references which is troubling if proven.  I definitely feel bad for her and wish her well, but welcome to the club.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

She wasn’t faultless in how she was treated.  Both sides were miscommunicating so have some fault.  If this went to court, she wouldn’t be completely innocent.  She failed to deliver assets. They failed to pay her. They can argue She owes them money because of the costs they incurred because of six months delay by not having the assets she held. That’s one example.  I take the blog to be almost entirely about bad business dealings.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Great article. "Here's a story about someone who has raped two known women. At the bottom, please buy his most famous recent game." 

5 hours ago, Thor said:

Whatever the situation is (maybe we'll know in due time), I'm rather shocked jokes are flying low and high in this thread.

Of course you are.  It's not easy being a shining beacon of stoic earnestness in the lawless wild of JWFan, but you bravely push on. 

3 hours ago, woj said:

Great article. "Here's a story about someone who has raped two known women. At the bottom, please buy his most famous recent game." 

Wait - this woman was gang raped by an entire dev team? Holy moley