Movies you should see but probably haven’t

rough cut

I know I'm completely outside the whole JWFAN lingo and humour, but whazzap with spamming the board with all the "jokey" spin-off threads? 

Annoying.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm probably one of the few people here who didn't watch Scorsese's Silence (2016). Somehow it's never been on my radar.

It might be my favourite Scorsese of the last couple of ones. 

On 9/5/2019 at 3:15 PM, Thor said:

I know I'm completely outside the whole JWFAN lingo and humour, but whazzap with spamming the board with all the "jokey" spin-off threads? 

Annoying.

It’s a bit much...

Movies you’ve seen and you’re happy you’ve seen em

Movies you flicked off after five minutes

Movies that were made to be seen and so you saw them, while being seen seeing them.

There’s nothing I “should see”. If I haven’t seen it there’s probably a good reason.

If people ask me for recommendations I’ll give them some films. But if you don’t want to see a film, why waste your time when you could see something you really want to watch, or read a good book?

THE DESCENT is brilliant (also don't miss the other cave move that came out around the same time, simply named THE CAVE, but THE DESCENT is better). PRIEST held up surprisingly well after my second viewing a couple of years ago. I've yet to see THEY, but I'm currently trying to fill my Wes Craven 'holes'. In that vein, and keeping up wih the 'underrated genre fare', I could easily recommend RED EYE, which I've had on DVD forever -- the storyline is formulaic, but Craven adds his unique sense of unease and elegance to the material.

15 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

As At Eternity's Gate, one of few movies that cannot be overrated - factually impossible.

I'm not sure about 'rating' or not (it think it received mixed reviews), but that was another huge disappointment to me. Well, I didn't have a lot of expectations after my colleagues came back with a lukewarm response. I went in with an open mind, but it's currently sitting at a 75th place (out of 89 films from 2019 seen so far). 2 out of 5 stars on MUBI.

AT ETERNITY'S GATE was a deftly crafted masterpiece, one of few films that can be classified as a successfully moving display of impressionist art. Probably the best film of last year.

You're weird.

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

AT ETERNITY'S GATE was a deftly crafted masterpiece, one of few films that can be classified as a successfully moving display of impressionist art. Probably the best film of last year.

Yes.

On 08/09/2019 at 12:22 PM, Thor said:

THE DESCENT is brilliant /- - -/ PRIEST held up surprisingly well / - - -/ I've yet to see THEY / - - -/  I could easily recommend RED EYE

I think we have the same take on The Descent and Priest.

Red Eye is also enjoyable, I remember liking it.

Polls of critics favorites is one of the best ways to go for this thread question. Polls are better than ratings since it's the same method we come to know the most agreed-on best composers. So the same goes with the most agreed-on best movies. Some films I'd like to watch, many I've seen:

21st century: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160819-the-21st-centurys-100-greatest-films

All-time: http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20150720-the-100-greatest-american-films

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I don't think I ever saw a French Nouvelle Vague movie, though I like some Delerue scores composed for them. Should I watch them?

Yes, absolutely! But if you're not accustomed to alternative filmmaking, I suggest starting with Truffaut -- who's more accesible; and there are the Delerue scores you like -- or, say, Agnes Varda, and then work your way towards Godard or Resnais on the other side. Although "pre-political* Godard is also fairly accesible, like the beautiful UNE FEMME EST UNE FEMME. Skip Rohmer if you don't care for dialogue-heavy material.

• 1 month later...

Yes, UPGRADE was excellent. It was high up on my list last year. Great to see Whannel break out into his own, after all the SAW and INSIDIOUS stuff (as writer) -- good as many of those are.

Next down the line for Leigh Whannel are The Invisible Man and Escape From New York.

Just now, Thor said:

Always had trouble with comedy/horror combos, with a few notable exceptions.

Amen to that!

I've liked some of the stuff that Frost/Pegg has been involved in, like SHAUN OF THE DEAD or THE WORLD'S END. And Joe Cornish's ATTACK THE BLOCK.

I like Joe Dante.

I like classic stuff like EVIL DEAD or BAD TASTE.

But beyond those, this is a territory I very rarely walk into.

Evil Dead II is surely the grandfather of comedy horror. Impossible to remake, I'd have thought.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I've liked some of the stuff that Frost/Pegg has been involved in, like SHAUN OF THE DEAD or THE WORLD'S END. 

Shaun was always easy to enjoy, but World's End I absolutely LOVED. Mainly because I had no idea whatsoever about its second half. That Doctor Who-esque twist blew me away tbh. Easily one of the most original comedy movies ever.

Plenty have seen it. It's on Netflix. But few have talked about it. Comparing it to EX MACHINA is ludicrous, though. That's perhaps the best film of the entire 2010s.

I have and will do again at some stage, because there were various annoyances about the screening I was at (including a staff member sticking signs about something to the exits DURING THE FILM ... do you REALLY have to do that RIGHT NOW, you stupid distracting twat?).    

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I have and will do again at some stage, because there were various annoyances about the screening I was at (including a staff member sticking signs about something to the exits DURING THE FILM ... do you REALLY have to do that RIGHT NOW, you stupid distracting twat?).    

???

What film are you talking about here?

35 minutes ago, Thor said:

Plenty have seen it. It's on Netflix. But few have talked about it. Comparing it to EX MACHINA is ludicrous, though. That's perhaps the best film of the entire 2010s.

Luckily for Ex Machina that Prometheus didn't come out till two years later.

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

Comparing it to EX MACHINA is ludicrous, though. That's perhaps the best film of the entire 2010s.

I guess that Roland Emmerich didn't release a movie in the '10s? :whistle:

3 hours ago, Thor said:

EX MACHINA is /- - -/ perhaps the best film of the entire 2010s.

Ex-Machina is wonderful.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Luckily for Ex Machina that Prometheus didn't come out till two years later.

Huh? You put Prometheus in that high regard?