Movies you should see but probably haven’t

rough cut

2 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

My nine year old had nightmares after watching "Amadeus".

My seven year old self lost many nights of sleep after the 1979 television miniseries Salem’s Lot premiered.  It broke me. 

By the way, recently we had a little scandal in Germany, because the TV channel ARTE showed Romero's Day of the Dead uncut in public television, but the movie is on some legal black list in Germany, which means, it is basically illegal to show it publically. 

Surely a masterpiece of its genre, but nothing you watch with kids.

Of course, some movies are too gory but I vividly remember that several members here were proud to report that, when they were toddlers, Alien and Jaws were their babysitters. I only saw Alien when I was 15 but that was because the movie was just released then.

• 3 months later...

I thought I'd recommend some more entertaining movies.

Interceptor (2022) IMDb

There's alot of hate towards this movie that I cannot understand. It's an over-the-top, tounge-in-cheek, no-holds-barred kind of movie. It is riduculous but starring lady Elsa Pataky (Chris Hemsworth's wife BTW) steals the show. She kicks ass in every scene and I for one enjoyed the movie a lot! It is defenitely deserving of more than it's low rating on IMDb.

interceptor-500.jpg

Green Hornet (2011) IMDb

Considering the superhero centric discourse on about half the posts on JWFan, I guess there aren't many on the forum who haven't seen this one... It has a bad reputation for being a "below average superhero film" which I guess is because it came out after the first three MCU-movies - Iron Man (2008), The Incredible Hulk (2008) and Iron Man 2 (2010)-the MCU was just gearing up and fans of superheroes were starting to enjoy and excpect all the spectacle and the tingle of the promise that those early MCU-movies held.

But of the movies mentioned, I'd actually say that only Iron Man tops Green Hornet in terms of entertainment value. It's a straight forward, slightly goofy, stand alone adventure - a good romp. Watch it and have an afternoon of breezy delight!

Green-hornet_cinematic_500.jpg

Snatchers (2019) IMDb

Ridiculous and wildly entertaining. Depending on your taste, you'll either love it or hate it.

Snatchers_500.jpg

Scott Pilgrim VS. the world (2010) IMDb

Yeah, I know. This is another one that I guess most of us have already seen, so it doesn't really fit the topic "movies you should see but probably haven’t". But have everybody actually seen this? Really? I can see alot of people skippng because it's such a hard movie to categorize. I think this is the kind of movie someone might watch based on a recommendation - but not watch on "their own". Or am I wrong? Is it a modern classic that everybody's seen? Or is it one of those movies that if you missed it in during its initial run/hype, then you missed it - until now that is. ; )

poster-scott-pilgrim_500.jpg

10 hours ago, Tallguy said:

A movie I haven't seen in a while but never fails to delight me.

The Dish (2000). Funny, heartwarming, and based on a little bit of true story.

6109TdtTNpL._SL1000_.jpg

Sam Neill = not. Gonna. Watch.😅

On 11/04/2022 at 11:51 AM, GerateWohl said:

By the way, recently we had a little scandal in Germany, because the TV channel ARTE showed Romero's Day of the Dead uncut in public television, but the movie is on some legal black list in Germany, which means, it is basically illegal to show it publically. 

One of the few good things we have left in America: no official censorship.

27 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I once tried to watch a F&F movie but failed.

Because you only want to remember him as ...

image-74.jpg

Right?!

It would have been the PERFECT film, if only....😒

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

image-74.jpg

What the chuffin' 'eck is wrong with that still???!!!

All the life has been sucked out of it.

Where's Dean Cundey's wonderfully saturated cinematography?

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

I once tried to watch a F&F movie but failed.

No, Alex, you didn't fail, you succeeded, admirably.

27 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What the chuffin' 'eck is wrong with that still???!!!

All the life has been sucked out of it.

Where's Dean Cundey's wonderfully saturated cinematography?

What are you talking about, Richard?

sam-neill-explains-why-his-accent-in-jur

On 11/04/2022 at 8:51 PM, GerateWohl said:

To call it a scandal is kind of an exaggeration. It is some lawyers getting all worked up about nothing. The only reason that the film is still banned is the circumstance that it hasn't been re-evaluated ever since. In the early days, Arte could show whatever they wanted to, because it was primarily a French channel. I used to watch a whole bunch of movies there that were ridiculously still banned in Germany.

• 3 weeks later...

Came across this great series of articles, courtesy of Midgard Times, called (more or less) "Underrated sci-fi movies you might have missed." I haven't seen all of these so I can't vouch for if you actually should see them or not, but I love finding these under-the-radar films.

I’ve seen a couple of the movies mentioned. The ones I've seen are Kin, Upgrade (which I recommended a few posts back), Mute, I Am Mother, In The Shadow Of The Moon, Solis, Anon, Extinction, Tau, Radius, What Happened To Monday, Spectral, Anti Matter, Revolt and Morgan. These are all well made and entertaining - admittedly to a varying degree, some are better than others - but I’d like to think that that says something about the rest of the list.

There are four parts (so far - the last was one published no later than yesterday), each consisting of ten movies. I know I will be checking some of these movies out!

I put the images for each movie in each respective list under spoilers, to make the lists a little more comprehensible without having to scroll too much, and to avoid making this post unnecessary long. The images, I thought, make it easier to get a feel for each movie, rather than just having a title and the year of production, and spares you the hassle of clicking any links - unless you’re inclined to. 

Follow the links for more info.

PART 1

https://moviesr.net/p-10-underrated-sci-fi-movies-that-could-surprise-you

Captive State (2019) IMDb

Level 16 (2018) IMDb

Prospect (2018) IMDb

Kin (2018) IMDb

Upgrade (2018) IMDb

UFO (2018) IMDb

Mute (2018) IMDb

I Am Mother (2019) IMDb

In The Shadow Of The Moon (2019) IMDb

Freaks (2018) IMDb

Spoiler

Captive State (2019) IMDb

fUEmm.jpg

Level 16 (2018) IMDb

uW3LZ.jpg

Prospect (2018) IMDb

j9QvC.jpg

Kin (2018) IMDb

wpCMp.jpg

Upgrade (2018) IMDb

wunov.jpeg

UFO (2018) IMDb

kegNY.jpg

Mute (2018) IMDb

D32ny.jpg

I Am Mother (2019) IMDb

3FHg2.jpeg

In The Shadow Of The Moon (2019) IMDb

ZMvhs.jpg

Freaks (2018) IMDb

eXNxq.jpg

PART 2

https://moviesr.net/p-10-underrated-sci-fi-movies-that-might-surprise-you-part-ii

Jonathan (2018) IMDb

Solis (2018) IMDb

Beyond White Space (2018) IMDb

Anon (2018) IMDb

Extinction (2018) IMDb

Zoe (2018) IMDb

Tau (2018) IMDb

The Endless (2017) IMDb

The Gateway (2018) IMDb

Radius (2017) IMDb

Spoiler

Jonathan (2018) IMDb

zrHga.jpg

Solis (2018) IMDb

oXEdN.jpg

Beyond White Space (2018) IMDb

rLDwd.jpg

Anon (2018) IMDb

zijX4.jpg

Extinction (2018) IMDb

KghoK.jpg

Zoe (2018) IMDb

tPaVi.jpeg

Tau (2018) IMDb

mvJug.jpeg

The Endless (2017) IMDb

pZNwW.jpeg

The Gateway (2018) IMDb

PsRJE.jpg

Radius (2017) IMDb

CgkZN.jpg

PART 3

https://moviesr.net/p-10-underrated-sci-fi-movies-you-might-have-missed-part-iii

Higher Power (2018) IMDb

Rememory (2017) IMDb

The Cured (2017) IMDb

Cold Skin (2017) IMDb

Singularity (2017) IMDb

What Happened To Monday (2017) IMDb

Devil’s Gate (2017) IMDb

Everything Beautiful Is Far Away (2017) IMDb

Spectral (2016) IMDb

Anti Matter (2016) IMDb

Spoiler

Higher Power (2018) IMDb

FNsEd.jpg

Rememory (2017) IMDb

UQD4X.jpg

The Cured (2017) IMDb

ZQYeh.jpg

Cold Skin (2017) IMDb

VkKgV.jpg

Singularity (2017) IMDb

rmrcf.jpeg

What Happened To Monday (2017) IMDb

vpUTU.jpg

Devil’s Gate (2017) IMDb

MQekC.jpg

Everything Beautiful Is Far Away (2017) IMDb

pwHM9.jpg

Spectral (2016) IMDb

nf2jn.jpeg

Anti Matter (2016) IMDb

y3DCk.jpg

PART 4

https://moviesr.net/p-10-underrated-sci-fi-movies-you-may-find-exciting-part-iv

Alien Invasion: S.U.M.1 (2017) IMDb

Revolt (2017) IMDb

Amelia 2.0 (2017) IMDb

Daylight’s End (2016) IMDb

Bokeh (2017) IMDb

iBoy (2017) IMDb

Rupture (2016) IMDb

Morgan (2016) IMDb

ARQ (2016) IMDb

Midnight Special (2016) IMDb

Spoiler

Alien Invasion: S.U.M.1 (2017) IMDb

v7N2o.jpg

Revolt (2017) IMDb

Lpwhr.jpg

Amelia 2.0 (2017) IMDb

XEThv.jpg

Daylight’s End (2016) IMDb

q34Za.jpg

Bokeh (2017) IMDb

QEVk2.jpg

iBoy (2017) IMDb

vMiqH.jpg

Rupture (2016) IMDb

XRuPT.jpg

Morgan (2016) IMDb

2QDog.jpg

ARQ (2016) IMDb

nRmeD.jpg

Midnight Special (2016) IMDb

Tjy4g.jpg

On 31/07/2022 at 2:00 PM, rough cut said:

Upgrade (2018) IMDb

This movie is GREAT!!!

On 31/07/2022 at 2:00 PM, rough cut said:

Mute (2018) IMDb

This movie was REAL BAD

Haven't seen the others

Upgrade - as mentioned - great.

Mute… Actually, that movie is probably at the bottom of the list, the one I liked the least. Same with Anon I guess. A bit muddled.

One movie I can really recommend is In The Shadow Of The Moon, it’s really good, I don’t understand how it’s not gotten more recognition. I guess because it’s a Netflix production?

In The Shadow Of The Moon (2019) IMDb

45F90809-E125-4FE3-B11E-118E2F3E677B.jpeg

Some movies that deserve to be seen, but are rarely mentioned: silent movies from the first years of cinema. Specifically those black and white no-spoken-dialogue movies, like the ones from George Meliés. Many of them are on YouTube.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ok, it's confession time.

I've never seen RAGING BULL.

There, I said it. Among the greatest films of the past 50 years, and I've not seen a single frame of it. Oh, the shame.

I hated Taxi Driver. I'm not a huge fan of Goodfellas. So Raging Bull just isn't on my list. (How's THAT for a confession?)

9 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Ok, it's confession time.

I've never seen RAGING BULL.

There, I said it. Among the greatest films of the past 50 years, and I've not seen a single frame of it. Oh, the shame.

Indeed! 

(That being said, and I know it doesn't sound very snobbish, but I prefer Rocky)

5 hours ago, Doctor Faust said:

image.png

One of my favorite films and one I can honestly say I have laughed out loud more than any other film. The humor is specific to the character scenarios. This is a Martin Scorsese film!! Also music by Howard Shore!!!

Saw that in theatres (a long time ago) and somehow that was the only time I saw it. Time for a rewatch?

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

None of those three are in my top 5 Scorsese films, and I consider him one of my favorite directors.

Let me guess your top 5:

- The Aviator

- The Departed

- Shutter Island

- Hugo

- The Age Of Innocence

I started to watch The Aviator and I liked it. But it picks some rather impossible hills to climb by casting some of the most recognizable personalities of the 20th century.

It's funny, my first reaction to any casting of Hughes is "Is he tall enough?" And yet my favorite HH is Howard Stark (Dominic Cooper) at a dinky 5'10".

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Let me guess your top 5:

- The Aviator

- The Departed

- Shutter Island

- Hugo

- The Age Of Innocence

In alpha order:

The Age of Innocence

The Aviator

Bringing Out the Dead

The King of Comedy

The Wolf of Wall Street

• 1 month later...

Troll (2022) IMDb

F1380A5F-046D-4308-8AB8-0CE5334DB3D7.jpeg

A Norwegian film, surprisingly good. The IMDb score is, as of now, 5.9. I have no idea what kind of reach a movie like this has, considering it’s a “foreign film” (except for the Norwegians, am I right, haha), but these kind of movies are always easy to miss especially when they come without fanfare. But it deserves to be up there as a contender for a great B-grade monster movie.

I mean, by the premise you know that this isn’t going to be a serious movie, but it’s handled very well. The first 30 minutes are outstanding. 

After that, it becomes your standard monster movie, for better or worse. But I enjoyed it!

Spoiler

The story has some dark streaks. Considering that the main plot point is about a troll trying to come back to his family (how sad, right!) it is clear (even though it’s not said out loud) that the trolls aren’t just mindless monsters.

Trolls were apparently abundant back in good ol’ Norway and were revered as a kind of deity by the natives. However, the trolls apparently had a massive problem with christianity, a religion that made any troll blind with rage to the degree that they had to kill any christian they encountered. This became a huge problem as more and more converted to christianity. So of course, having being killed by trolls simply because of their belief, the christians retaliated. The christian king simply decided to purge the lands of all trolls. Genocide, if you will.

Getting to know the backstory, we learn some details about troll society: apparently whole troll families were killed including female trolls and troll children. I can’t really say it’s glossed over but the implication of what is basically a genocide isn’t really allowed to sink in. The hints of these social structures - paired with the lonely, angry troll who is the antagonist of the story - makes aforementioned massacre a little bit hard to swallow.

All though it’s not framed like it in the movie, the clash between humans and trolls was really a religious war, the kind that has been repeated many times throughout history. Murder in the name of religion.

The movie ends in a somewhat unresolved way - are we supposed to feel sad for the troll? Happy for the humans? - which is a bit unsatisfactory, but not in a way that it takes a way from the enjoyment of the film.

Go see it and don’t miss the post credit sequence!

I saw it on Netflix.

• 1 month later...

Fresh (2022) IMDb

I didn’t know much about this going in. I’d only read the (shortened) synopsis that goes “Noa meets the alluring steve, who has some unusual appetites” accompanied by this picture:

91613C7D-9B33-45FA-B6E4-0C187F95270B.jpeg

I don’t know what to tell you what I expected. Some kind of horror rom-com?

For what it is - this movie might not be made up of wholly original ideas - but it delivers in execution. Creepy A F!

It is an intense movie. I can only recommend doing what I did, go in as blind as possible.

3A9DBB4E-1918-4DCA-8D9C-5936DE53F77D.jpeg

• 3 months later...

OK, so I'm going to have to change the title of this thread, because I'm including a series now...

The Night Of (2016) (IMDb)

The horrible poster art aside (after googling poster art for this show, it's all dark and very non-descriptive), this show is really good and I am glad that I stumbled on to it.

After I'd finished it I was curios about who the creaters were... It's created by two guys: Steven Zaillian, whose writing credits include Schindler's List (1993) and American Gangster (2007), and Richard Price, who among other this worked on the series The Wire.(2004-2008).

The story is a detective noir/court drama revolving around a night gone wrong. The script is well written, the acting is great, the directing is perfect. It's a limited series of 8 episodes, so i't easy to consume as well.

Seriously, go watch it!

image.jpeg

13 hours ago, rough cut said:

OK, so I'm going to have to change the title of this thread, because I'm including a series now...

The Night Of (2016) (IMDb)

The horrible poster art aside (after googling poster art for this show, it's all dark and very non-descriptive), this show is really good and I am glad that I stumbled on to it.

After I'd finished it I was curios about who the creaters were... It's created by two guys: Steven Zaillian, whose writing credits include Schindler's List (1993) and American Gangster (2007), and Richard Price, who among other this worked on the series The Wire.(2004-2008).

The story is a detective noir/court drama revolving around a night gone wrong. The script is well written, the acting is great, the directing is perfect. It's a limited series of 8 episodes, so i't easy to consume as well.

Seriously, go watch it!

It was OK.   All-time great first episode, really fizzled out after that.

On 15/05/2023 at 8:31 AM, rough cut said:

Seriously, go watch it!

Fantastic photography and a fantastic John Torturro. 

The-Night-Of-3.jpg

How about a thread that's called 'TV Series You Should See But Probably Haven't'?

wait i may have understood the other thread in reverse

here's where my mind has been lately:

El milagro de P. Tinto (1998): an old classic

The Blacksmith and the Devil (Errementari) (2017): folk stuff about demons (folklore enthusiasts may recognize the English title from other versions)

The Endless Trench (La trinchera infinita) (2019): terrifying

All the Moons (Ilargi guztiak) (2020): a very good vampire drama.

Alcarràs (early 2022): another drama, the photography is great, the cast too.

The Beasts (As bestas) (late 2022): a tri-lingual western. nice setting, even though it's a bit "the generic northwest" in some ways.

Irati (late 2022 but released the next year): kind of like Excalibur, but small. reminds me of The Secret of Kells too.

9 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

1998 films are old classics now?

i feel ancient.

i feel ancient when it's a few years up and down my year of birth, which is why i call it that!

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

I like the MCU (or at least I used to until 2019) and for all accounts the movie is fantastic, I just don't have the stomach for all the animal abuse scenes. I've become much more sensitive to this subject matter after the death of my two pets a few years ago - thankfully, these days I have four of them, two cats and two dogs. 

I'd rather spend the money I'd pay the movie ticket donating to animal rights organizations.

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.

I like the MCU (or at least I used to until 2019) and for all accounts the movie is fantastic, I just don't have the stomach for all the animal abuse scenes. I've become much more sensitive to this subject matter after the death of my two pets a few years ago - thankfully, these days I have four of them, two cats and two dogs. 

I'd rather spend the money I'd pay the movie ticket donating to animal rights organizations.

do i make it better or worse if i tell you it's also a metaphor for eugenesia

39 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

That's at the top of my list of 2022 films to see, alongside Cristian Mungiu's R.M.N. Hope to get round to The Beasts soon, too.

I skipped the screening of R.M.N. recently. I'll get to it, but it's not top of the list. I saw BACALAUREAT in Cannes when it premiered there, and it was heavy stuff. Still, though, Mungiu is always fascinating.

I'm more pissed that I missed out on the press screening of Ulrich Seidl's RIMINI. Big Seidl fan, and from what I've read, this is him in top form. That one is high on the watch list.

46 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

i feel ancient.

That is already 25 years ago. That is old.

When I started watching TV at the age of five movies from 25 years ago were from 1950. And these movies looked really old.

47 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I just looked on Google what this word means and I saw a picture of Hitler. Now I don't even wanna know what it means :lol:

the following is not about that, but a rundown of what i can remember about the animal thing in particular

Spoiler
  • the movie opens with a human hand reaching ominously to pick baby Rocket from a cage where his litter appears to be
  • i think mostly people are getting caught up in the (intentional I suppose) Disney dialogue from where they are in the cages (and the cages themselves), which made me automatically say "fuck". and then of course they get shot. Rocket's friends are weird to look at because of the visible cyborg parts. (James Gunn adapts things weirdly at times, and i can sort of guess that the original idea may have been to have them live or at least one of them, because the first film has an easter egg about this.)
  • there's an animal getting instantaneously incinerated
  • then there's implied but not directly seen stuff that was also alluded to in the other movies (unconsented cyborg surgeries etc, what Rocket says in the first movie).
  • some the animal cyborg henchmen are treated like movie-robots-with-animal-heads and they get destroyed by the Guardians while cool music plays. so basically, Star Wars but it's 2023.
  • Also Rocket almost dies.  He also gets treated the most like a superhero.
  • There's a furry civilization that blows up, but this is never mentioned by people and it appears to be read differently, more like "Alderaan gets destroyed". (personally i think maybe just setting the second half of the movie there to use it more would have been cool.
  • the villain is obviously treated as despicable
  • there's lots of human looking kids in cages, the vibe of that is Temple of Doom style
  • both Rocket and Cosmo live

still, i've seen some people be disturbed.

2 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Sure? What were the newest classic films in 1998? The Godfather? Jaws? Star Wars? Some of those would have been less than 25 then.

I shudder to think that when I saw George Pal's The Time Machine that it was only 22 years old. Hell Lawrence of Arabia wasn't even 30!

OMG the first time I saw My Fair Lady on television it wasn't EVEN twenty years old! Neither was Thunderball!

I need to go lie down.