For which scores do you prefer the OST over expanded releases?

Jurassic Shark

Basically all of them. Unless the OST was a 'songtrack' with one or two score cuts only, which did not represent the score well.

5 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What about Born on the Fourth of July?

The score portion there is pretty meaty. About half an hour or so, isn't it? So it's pretty representative. I had the expanded bootleg once, and it didn't offer anything worthwhile. The extra cues were annoying filler or repetitions. So that's not really the type of 'songtrack' I have in mind. More like, say, BATMAN & ROBIN with that singular score track. I have the originally-planned score release that was scrapped, and it's gorgeous! Wish it gets released some day.

Another example is ROCKY IV, where the score-only album works great despite the C&C. Much better and more representative than the two cuts on the ROCKY STORY album or whatever it was called.

Monsignor. Batman '89. Attack of the Clones (weakest most boring SW score and best assembled SW OST). Not too much else I can think of, just some that are on a roughly equal level between OST and complete.

I prefer to have choice.

When I have less than one hour, time only for a quickie, an old good OST is perfect for me!

"Time for a quikie with Johnny?"

😂

It's sauce, for the goose.

I grew up with OSTs, or should I say "OSTs", as some of them, I later discovered, were nothing of the kind.

Now I listen to C+C/expanded scores, I appreciate OSTs for what they are: a unique listening experience, that seeks to put the very best of a film's musical soundtrack into a short physical space (usually 40-ish minutes). 

Nowadays, there's no excuse for not releasing a C+C along with the film, but I still enjoy the "alternate" sound of an OST.

Return to Oz is a great choice. The expanded version is still good, but oddly slapped together on the Intrada release. The original album is one of the best recordings I've ever heard. The expanded version is sonically a downgrade.

I will agree with that one. It's a perfect album and superior to the deluxe version.

4 hours ago, Holko said:

Attack of the Clones (weakest most boring SW score and best assembled SW OST).

Right, that's it. I'm calling the boys.

The weakest Star Wars score is yet to be written.

clone wars.PNG