Movies you flicked off after five minutes

Unlucky Bastard

Where's the Spielberg that made me connect to the characters? Emotionally speaking, I felt very far removed from Eric Bana. 

That guy in that virtual video game movie? Again, very far removed ...

Those kinds in Jurassic Park? Why should I care?

He used to be very good at making you connect to the main character. It took only seconds before I gelled with Mann, Brody, Hooper, Jones, Ellliot, Neary, Schindler, ...

However, those kids in War Of The Worlds? Eh ... :conf:

12 hours ago, Holko said:

Oh, Fifth Element back when I tried it. It was just really unpleasant.

Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod tends to be the deal-breaker for people with The Fifth Element, I find. Besson probably looks back on it wistfully as a time when he was still directing box-office hits.  

hydiveE.jpg

Managed a bit longer than five minutes, but bailed before we got as far as thirty.

I could imagine this really working as a Woody Allen movie from the Seventies, with him playing the lead, but Owen Wilson is not Woody Allen despite his very best impersonation of him. Instead of the affable, witty and naturalistic acting style of Allen, Wilson was just a bit too much on the irritating side. Surrounded as he was by really nauseating intellectual types who's collective endless navel gazing (a key component of the script) didn't have the aforementioned Allen deadpan suffering to counterbalance it all.

I like Wilson, but he was out of his depth in this.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod tends to be the deal-breaker for people with The Fifth Element, I find. 

Today, yes, but when I complained about it during my early JWFan years, everybody treated me as if I committed blasphemy. 

Yea Fifth Element is great, but of course I saw it in theaters when it first came out and I was 16 years old.  I have no idea what I'd think of it if I had never seen it before and suddenly saw it now that I'm 40

Saw it in theatres, there was quite a bit of hype I recall, and it did look genuinely ahead of its time. Alas I didn't think it was any good.

And parts of it look bad, like Doctor Who camp bad.

16 minutes ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Chris Tucker is barely in that movie.

But he's in the weaker 'Love Boat In Space' part. The first halve of the movie is much better

I had fond if vague memories of the Fifth Element from my youth, and I watched a great deal of it (though not in its entirety) on TV a couple of weeks ago. Its a nice story, quite imaginative and sometimes very fun indeed. Its quirky style is unique and sometimes charming, but often conspires to distance one from the story.

All in all, beyond servicable.

On 9/19/2019 at 11:54 AM, Quintus said:

I could imagine this really working as a Woody Allen movie from the Seventies, with him playing the lead,

This works much better in this regard: (though i found the the characters in 'Midnight' sans Wilson much more amusing than you do):

268x0w.jpg

On 9/20/2019 at 8:37 AM, Alexcremers said:

That he has his hand on her belly would not be possible today.

What the fuck has happened, in the last twenty-odd years?!

On 9/20/2019 at 9:25 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I didn't even notice that.

That's the whole point. Nowadays, some "concerned" pressure group that kills with kindness, would make you notice!