CELEBRATE OFFICIAL WORLD PREMIERE RELEASE OF
THE ORIGINAL 1935 FRANZ WAXMAN SCORE RECORDING
"THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN"
WITH A SPECIAL SCREENING OF "BRIDE" AT
SLEEPY HOLLOW INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
IN SLEEPY HOLLOW AND TARRYTOWN NY!

SUNDAY, OCT 13, 5pm at TARRYTOWN MUSIC HALL
TICKETS AVAILABLE STARTING 9/6 at www.TarrytownMusicHall.org

Live Q&A with composer Franz Waxman's son, John Waxman, Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection executive Alexia Baum and album producer/restoration expert Mike Matessino

"THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN" limited edition CD will be available for purchase at the event in the Music Hall lobby, ahead of the CD's official release date.

Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection, La-La Land Records and Sleepy Hollow International Film Festival (SHIFF) present the 1935 classic feature film THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, starring Boris Karloff and Elsa Lanchester, and directed by James Whale. Arguably unparalleled in its genre, THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN has, and continues to enthrall generations with its cinematic power, a vital part of which is the film's astounding original music score by legendary composer Franz Waxman (REBECCA, SUNSET BLVD., SUSPICION, A PLACE IN THE SUN). This screening celebrates the world premiere release (in any format) of the original BRIDE score recording, which has been discovered and meticulously restored.

The official, limited edition THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN CD will be available for purchase exclusively at this show, ahead of its release date, in the Music Hall lobby.

Post-screening Q&A with John Waxman, son of the composer, Alexia Baum, chief executive of the Universal Pictures Film Music Heritage Collection, and film music restoration producer Mike Matessino — who will take the audience behind the scenes of this beloved classic film and its immortal score.

Tickets are available for purchase at www.TarrytownMusicHall.org starting 9/6. Overall SHIFF fest passes, which include this and all SHIFF Music Hall events, are also available at that location now.

http://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-1bglzt--mdn9e-ag4f6q3

This is great for 'archivists', no doubt, but I'm more than pleased with the old rerecording. I tend to prefer rerecordings over original recordings for scores this age, even if the sound has been cleaned up considerably.

The event itself sounds nice, though. Great to have Waxman's son there.

Yes, also great is the 7-minute suite on the LEGENDS OF HOLLYWOOD set (these four CDs are must-haves to any Waxman and/or film music fan, by the way). But a slightly more representative score presentation is the Silva rerecording with Westminster Philharmonic Orchestra and Kenneth Alwyn. It's the only BRIDE album I ever need.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I've read that the remastering on at least one of these isn't very good.

I have no issues with either of them. They sound spectacular.

I’ve enjoyed the Silva re-recording over the years and was fortunate, along with a couple of JWFAN members, to see excerpts from this score performed live.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So after this is for sale at the Q&A on Sunday the 13th, it will be available to purchase on La-La Land's website on Thursday, October 17th at 12:00 PST

Source: https://www.facebook.com/lalalandrecords/photos/a.181243738754/10158012784688755/

Just now, Disco Stu said:

It’s so rare to get a new release of the original recordings from a Golden Age score.  A special treat!  I’ll be ordering this as well.

I only hope this sounds even close to as good as the scores from just a year or two later released by Intrada in their epic 11 score four disc Waxman set a couple years ago... was blown away by just how good 30s recording could sound, on that.

Yavar

Just now, Yavar Moradi said:

I only hope this sounds even close to as good as the scores from just a year or two later released by Intrada in their epic 11 score four disc Waxman set a couple years ago... was blown away by just how good 30s recording could sound, on that.

Yavar

Yeah!  I listened to Huck Finn from that set just the other day.

My personal holy grail of that time period is the original recordings of Copland’s scores for Of Mice and Men and Our Town.  After Intrada released The Red Pony and The Heiress, who knows!  Those just sounded ok though.

Yeah they were listenable but not great. I’m glad they were released but they weren’t anything near the Waxman scores from 11-12 years earlier, on that Intrada set. I mean, the 30s scores on that set sound better than the 40s scores on it!

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

comparing the track list to the tracks that have been floating around the new cd contains two pieces that weren't in those tracks but the new cd is missing two short cues that were  in those tracks. When the monster carries elizabeth into the cave and when henry and pretorius enter the tower. 

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Matessino and Jon Burlingame mentions and quotes in this Variety article.  Sounds like the Heritage line has been a big success so far and has opened the door for additional releases down the road!

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I read that there's some music missing from this release, presumably because it couldn't be found. Anybody knows how much is missing?

On 10/14/2019 at 4:27 PM, jacksparrow900 said:

the new cd is missing two short cues that were  in those tracks. When the monster carries elizabeth into the cave and when henry and pretorius enter the tower. 

Mike Knobloch, the studio’s president of film music and publishing, said “we hope to continue these efforts, unearth more tracks and restore these films to their original glory. It’s basically a side hustle,” he said to audience laughter, “but it’s really rewarding.”

I think it's fantastic that a Universal executive is this personally involved in working with the specialty labels and catalog scores generally.  A very good sign.

I read somewhere a long time ago that Korngold's scores were among the recordings Warner didn't bother to keep during their dark ages, so presumably, at best they exist in very incomplete forms in their archives. Thankfully the composer's son, George Korngold, made tape copies of near-complete scores. These were the sources used for the over-processed Tsunami releases and isolated DVD/bluray scores.

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some of them are very good, but IMO the energy of Korngold's own conducting is unbeatable. But I meant to write "proper releases of the original recordings". The Tsunami releases are not good enough.

I'm surprised you can hear energy in the original recordings. The excerpts I've heard sounded like absolute crap, quality-wise of course. I'm all for re-recordings in this case.

4 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I'm surprised you can hear energy in the original recordings. The excerpts I've heard sounded like absolute crap, quality-wise of course. I'm all for re-recordings in this case.

That's because you've heard excerpts that aren't properly remastered.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Have you heard the FSM release of Kings Row and The Sea Wolf? That sounds far better than any of the Tsunami releases or that godawful unlistenable Rhino compilation of original Korngold recordings. When that release came out I felt a lot of hope that the rest of the surviving original Korngold recordings would follow, but none ever did and then FSM went out of business. Put me down for the group of people who thinks Korngold conducting his own music has never been bettered by another conductor (Kojian on Varese came closest, I guess).

Yavar

5 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Kojian on Varese came closest

Agreed! Too bad Kojian did so few score re-recordings.

Have you heard the FSM release of Kings Row and The Sea Wolf?

I think I checked it out at one point, but didn't purchase it - these two scores have just never clicked with me.

Rhino compilation of original Korngold recordings.

That's actually a good sounding compilation if you do your own noise reduction. It's super easy to do in Audacity!

• 1 month later...

The film recording of “The Creation” / “Presenting the Bride / The Explosion” is better than everything!

It just has an extra something lacking in the re-recording, better sound or no.  And frankly I think Alwyn takes The Creation too fast!