Movies you saw Part 2 first

Unlucky Bastard

This happened a lot when I was a kid when network TV stations would air the Sunday Night Movie of the Week, which was often a Part 2 sequel, then they'd follow it with the Part 1.

So this led me to seeing Aliens before Alien, Short Circuit 2 before Short Circuit 1, RoboCop 2 before RoboCop 1, Predator 2 before Predator 1, Rush Hour 2 before Rush Hour 1, etc. I'm pretty sure they did this because they didn't want you to tape them properly if you wanted to fit them on one four hour tape.

I have a wonky memory of some film franchises as a result.

I am usually super particular about this and refuse to watch a sequel until I've seen what comes before - same with TV series, even sitcoms which don't have an overarching plot.  I won't start mid-run, I have to go back and start at the beginning.

But it did happen once - I saw Ocean's Twelve on my college campus because it was free.  Didn't care for it.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I saw Avengers before watching Iron Man 1 or Iron Man 2 or Incredible Hulk.

Yep me too. I'd seen Thor and Cap 1, but back then I had no idea they were all set in the same universe. I was unaware of this MCU thing and thought they were just stand-alone flicks.

Humanity achieves this feat repeatedly as we don't learn from the original fables, histories, stories, (or oftentimes the purpose) these movies were built from, but from the trendy source called Hollywood. We miss the context of why these movies are trending in the first place, and those missing puzzle pieces fill our minds with a sequelitis of circular questions.

I saw Jungle 2 Jungle and still couldn't find Jungle 1 Jungle.

More seriously, I think the only time that happened is with a local episodic cop-crime-comedy (Bud Spencer homage/ripoff) series of 4 films, where all of them are completely separate. I saw those in the order of 3-1-4-2. 1 is the best. I cannot think of any other examples, at all.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:44 PM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

I saw Return of the Jedi first. I also saw the second Ewok movie before all the other movies. I just assumed the Ewoks were in all of them.

Same in the sense I saw Jedi first. Gladly erased the ewoks from memory by the time of the others. 

For a response without the mouthyness, I saw Naked Gun before the Police Squad TV series (which kind of counts).  Both are funny, but watching them in this order does ruin many of the gags in Police Squad.  Both are required watching for anyone the least bit interested in comedy.  The six-episode of PS ranks just behind Faulty Towers as the funniest TV series ever made.  

I saw Back to the Future, Part III in a high school science class before I'd seen the others.

I saw Spider-Man 2 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest before the originals because the same friend invited me to each for his birthday.

I'd never seen or read any Harry Potter when a girl I liked invited me to see Deathly Hallows, Part 2. Couldn't very well say no to that! We ended up watching most of the others together as well and mostly in reverse order (7p1, 4, 3, 2, 1). ROTFLMAOI saw 5 and 6 by myself and read the books a couple years later.

On 9/6/2019 at 7:53 PM, mstrox said:

I am usually super particular about this and refuse to watch a sequel until I've seen what comes before - same with TV series, even sitcoms which don't have an overarching plot.  I won't start mid-run, I have to go back and start at the beginning.

But it did happen once - I saw Ocean's Twelve on my college campus because it was free.  Didn't care for it.

'We should watch the Clone Wars movie before we watch the TV show ... I want George Lucas to disappoint me in the order he intended!' - Sheldon with what (for my money) is one of Big Bang's best-ever gags. 

I definitely saw Psycho 2 (and also possibly 3, memory's fuzzier on that) before I saw Psycho. 

Off the top of my head I can't think of any times I for-sure saw a sequel before the original.

It's very likely though as a kid I might have seen Aliens before Alien, Wrath of Khan before TMP, and I could have seen the original Star Wars and Indiana Jones movies out of order too, not sure

Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I saw Army of Darkness before Evil Dead 1 & 2, actually

The only one I can think of off the top my head is MAD MAX 2. Otherwise, I've always watched the first first. The benefit of being as old as I am, perhaps.

True, I saw Mad Max Fury Road before I saw the original trilogy... Still havent actually, though I started the original movie on a plane ride. Fell asleep though. 

Pretty sure I saw Temple of Doom first as a kid.

In high school, when The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers came out, I knew nothing of the Lord of the Rings or anything Middle Earth.  2 friends of mine dragged me to a matinee to see it, cause I had nothing else to do, wasn't expecting much.  After the opening scene with Gandalf fighting the Balrog, I was hooked.  I think the Battle of Helms Deep is still one the most amazing theater experiences I will ever have.  After that I ran home to watch FOTR, read all the books, have read the Silmarillion and listen to the scores monthly.  I don't talk to those friends anymore, but I surpassed them by a long shot in my Middle Earth fandom.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

Ah - I saw Fury Road without having seen earlier movies.  Does that follow a rigid continuity?  I had always assumed Fury Road functioned more as a reboot than a sequel.

I'm no expert, but I believe it's supposed to be the further adventures of the same character from the earlier films.  That's the entire reason for having that opening scene showing his car, and then squashing the obviously CGI insect, to show they are moving away from the look of the old films, and the over-CGI-ness of current blockbusters, at the same time.  Or something like that.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Miller really doesn't care either way if people regard it as a reboot or sequel. It functions the same anyway.

Pretty much!

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Great movie!

Yes!

It's a reboot. I can't remember the end of THUNDERDOME right now, other than Mad Max surrounded by all those children out in the desert, but I don't think it picks up anything from there. With Gibson out of the picture, they basically had to reboot the whole thing anyway.

I actually had no idea there was a MAD MAX 1 when I saw THE ROAD WARRIOR -- even if there are 'flashbacks' in it from the first film (I assumed these were made for the film). I only saw the former many years later; a far grittier, low budget affair that didn't have much in common with the sequel other than the 'energy'.

No, AFAIK Gibson's Max never existed in the FURY ROAD universe. But one can always make up one's own story, of course, wherein two different Maxes exist in the same universe, with some years apart.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not even in the movies he made before we knew he was an anti-semite?

I think I had only seen him in Lethal Weapon 4, THe Patriot, Signs, and What Women Want, all of which were fine.  I won't bother catching up now.

16 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Are you saying that Batman really is the Pope?

I'm not NOT saying that

Not even for Braveheart.   I've been indifferent enough to the two OSTs for enough years to not have sufficient interest regardless of the star.  Honestly I'd be more likely to check out the early Lethal Weapons or Mad Maxes prior to Beefheart, but that's a slim chance.