The Book Thief vs. The BFG vs. The Post - The "middling" JW scores from the last few years!

Josh500

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

Clicks? WTF are you guys talking about? I don't hear anything like that in THE POST score.

Well, you have hearing issues, Thor right?

The clicks are absolutely there, and very audible to people with normal hearing.  

If you're interested, you can read us talking about them since it came out, starting here:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27462-the-post-score-thread/&do=findComment&comment=1434661

Check your ears bro!!!

Nah I can see how someone might be able to tune it out. But it really stands out to me. It's a digital glitch sound, high pitched, as if the CD was skipping slightly. It happens at random throughout the whole score recording.

If you can't hear it, maybe don't try to find it, and enjoy it while you still can!

Well, I have tinnitus, but I'm not deaf!

I guess the next time I'll listen to the album, I'll pay more attention to this. If I hear them now, it will be all down to reading about it in this thread and being made aware of it -- damn you all! :D

On 12/22/2017 at 8:23 AM, Taikomochi said:

Does anyone else hear this weird tapping noise all over the album?  Like at 1:17 in "Deciding to Publish"?  It's really obnoxiously loud.  That's not intentional, is it?  It doesn't sound like studio sounds or seem to correspond to any instrument playing, but maybe I am being naive.  It seems to be in almost every track.  Seems like they must have goofed badly when mastering this album to let that into it.

On 12/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, Will said:

Yeah I noticed that ticking too. Really disconcerting. Thought it was a problem with my speakers.

On 1/13/2018 at 8:11 AM, Chewy said:

I like the score, but the ticking/noise we can hear is annoying as ****. Do you know if it can be heard on the FYC as well?

Here is how it looks on "Deciding to Publish":

image.png

Those points over 13kHz are the ticks.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:15 AM, Jay said:

The clicking noise is even MORE prevalent on the FYC album.

On 1/15/2018 at 12:34 PM, Taikomochi said:

I stayed through the credits to compare and could not hear the clicking at all in my theater so I don’t think it is intentional as others have suggested or that it is inherently part of the score’s recording.

On 2/11/2018 at 3:23 PM, Chewy said:

Just saw the movie, and I could hear the clicking noises, so it's definitely an issue with the recording...

You already made that joke!

On 5/9/2018 at 8:02 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

So... I haven't got the OST because of the clicking noises, but was the score recording by any chance produced by Shawn Murphy? If that's the case I'm starting to see a pattern here, when taking into account the quality issues of the remastered SW OSTs...

It is quite amazing that nobody noticed the clicks after one take, let alone at any point of the process that put the music in the film, on the FYC CD, and on the OST album

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

You already made that joke!

A good joke never gets old! :D But seriously, I couldn't remember if this was a Murphy recording or not.

10 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

That's what makes me think it might have happened during recording, and when they caught it, they didn't have time to rerecord. It's definitely crazy though. Maybe they recorded everything on a very quick schedule?

As you said earlier, they could still have filtered out a lot of it.

OK, so I listened to THE POST again. I hear absolutely NO clicks whatsoever. I hope you guys aren't talking about what is clearly a PERCUSSION INSTRUMENT in the track "The Papers"?

Thor, read the quotes I posted a few posts up. It's throughout the whole album, and one of the quoted posts has a specific timestamp in a specific track where it's most obvious. It's possible you have enough hearing loss you just can't hear it if you don't hear it at that timestamp 

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Thor, read the quotes I posted a few posts up. It's throughout the whole album, and one of the quoted posts has a specific yinrsta p in a specific track where it's most obvious. It's possible you have enough hearing loss you just can't hear it if you don't hear it at that timestamp 

There are no clicks at 1:17 in "Deciding to Publish", nor anywhere else in the album. Could it be I got a different master than all of you? (I got an early digital promo of this way back when).

No, it's really not my hearing loss. That's just a marginal treble drop in my left ear; I would certainly have heard clicks here if there were any. I'd be willing to send my digital copy to any of you for comparison.

They didn't erase the clicks for reviewer promos then release a version with clicks to the public. The noise is part of the recording. Your just not paying attention to it. 

And again, they are in the film itself. They are even more noticeable in the FYC album, which is a dump from the pro tools sessions used to cut the music to the final film, than the OST album. 

Well, I janked the volume up and put my healthy ear right next to the speaker. Heard absolutely nothing, zilch, zero in terms of clicks. So if they are there, they must be really, really marginal -- like a dog whistle-type thing. Oh well. I don't hear any issues, so I'm happy! :)

24 minutes ago, Thor said:

Well, I janked the volume up and put my healthy ear right next to the speaker. Heard absolutely nothing, zilch, zero in terms of clicks. So if they are there, they must be really, really marginal -- like a dog whistle-type thing. Oh well. I don't hear any issues, so I'm happy! :)

You gotta listen through headphones.

34 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You gotta listen through headphones.

Did that too -- with my High End Beyerdynamic headphones. No clicks in sight!

Ha, ha. Indeed.

I'm still not convinced it's my 'hearing issue' that prevents me from hearing these, but in the end it doesn't matter. If it is indeed the high frequencies my ears tune out, then I guess there's at least one good thing coming out of this ailment. THE POST sounds absoutely perfect!

That's the point, it might not be any "issues" at all, but simply age.  Every human's ears lose the ability to hear higher frequencies with age.  Just a fact.

On 10/3/2019 at 5:41 PM, Holko said:

I don't think I hear anything too bad in Deciding to Publish beside excessive stage noises.

Me neither. 

I must have gotten one of the more pristine CDs... :P

14 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It's the typewriters, no?

Get Your Clicks on an Imperial 66!

JW would’ve won the Oscar for best song with that one. 

image.png

I was rather surprised to read about this clicking issue, so I had to go check myself. It turns out the clicks are mostly >14kHz.

I sadly can't hear a thing beyond 15kHz, so I could only make them out after taking out all other requencies. As Thor said, at least I am spared of these obnoxious noises.

Those of us that can hear them should be blessed that part of our hearing hasn't gone yet :)

Either way, there's no excuse for these sounds making it into the finals albums, nor for them never ever acknowledging it

To take a different angle, sometimes the general orchestral noises in a recording are a reflection of the natural and human side of music, the honest "imperfections", if you will. Now while The Post clickings are certainly more prevalent and distracting for some, I'm thinking about scores like The Force Awakens, which has a fair share of small clicks and little minuscule noises that add to the human element of a recording (listen closely and you'll hear a few quieter examples). Or hearing the breaths of the cellists, or possibly pages flipping. As I see it, it's all a natural part of the recording process and I've never been distracted by these things. I like my scores with their little specialties in this regard- it can't be too perfect!