Michael & Mick Giacchino's EXTINCT (2021)

Jay

Michael Giacchino has been hired to score the upcoming animated adventure comedy Extinct. He will be co-scoring the project with his son, Mick Giacchino. The film is directed by David Silverman (The Simpsons Movie, Monsters, Inc.) and features the voices of Adam Devine, Rachel Bloom, Zazie Beetz, Ken Jeong, Jim Jefferies, Catherine O’Hara, Reggie Watts and Alex Borstein. The movie follows two donut-shaped animals called flummels as they accidentally time-travel from 1835 to modern-day Shanghai where they discover traffic, trans fats, and the fact that flummels have become extinct. Joel Cohen, John Frink & Rob LaZebnik (The Simpsons) are writing the screenplay for the Chinese/American co-production, which is produced by China Lion, HB Wink, Huayi Tencent Entertainment, and Tolerable Entertainment. No word yet on a release date for Extinct.

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/09/04/michael-giacchino-to-score-david-silvermans-extinct/

• 2 weeks later...

How old is Mick? He'll probably be the youngest person ever to score a big Hollywood movie.

I mean, Michael Senior will probably write the bulk of it and his son maybe will write one or two, with the help of his daddy. But still...

39 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

To be "the youngest person to score a big Hollywood movie" he would actually have to have credible solo credit for real film cues in a big project.

I actually meant the youngest people that have his name as a composer, or one of the composers, credited on a Hollywood film, not for additional music, but as one of the main composers - as in "James Newton Howard on Batman Begins", not "Andrew Kawczynski on Batman v Superman", if that makes any sense, lol. We all know that the underworld of ghostwriting and additional music is a little shady.

In Mick's case, considering he'll be 21/22 when the movie premieres, I think he might fit.

10 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Mick Giacchino was born ca. 1998

He really ought to be in kindergarden, playing with his friends, instead of doing this child labour.

10 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

On another note, Griffin Giacchino wrote cues for War for the Planet of the Apes, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, M:I Ghost Protocol, and Jurassic World.

There's three of them? :nopity:

• 1 year later...
On 9/24/2019 at 3:16 PM, Albus Percival Wulfric said:

Mick Giacchino was born ca. 1998 and has the following credits to his name:

Jurassic World (2015) - uncredited contribution to seemingly every cue

Spiderman: Homecoming (2016) - additional orchestration

The incredibles 2 (2018) - composer: additional music

Spiderman; Far From Home (2019) - composer: a song

plus two credits as sound mixer for short films and one as a musician in a Pixar short

To be "the youngest person to score a big Hollywood movie" he would actually have to have credible solo credit for real film cues in a big project. It likely won't happen until he does one, two or three more collaborations like this with his father. He has a shot though. It's hard to find anyone below the age of 30 getting credit for scores to major films (Herrmann was 29 when Citizen Kane entered theaters).

Andre Previn was only 19 years old when his first Hollywood solo composing credit (The Sun Comes Up) happened. Somehow I doubt that's going to be topped anytime soon, though. Cliff Eidelman came close-ish during the late 80s, when he got Hollywood composing jobs in his early 20s.

By the way that 19-year-old Previn wrote a pretty awesome score right out of the gate:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/store/MP3/1320/4-01_Main_Title.mp3

Yavar

• 2 months later...

Trailer:

The credits at the end say "Themes by Mick Giacchino and Michael Giacchino / Score by Mick Giacchino"

According to IMDB, this is releasing in 3 weeks from now in Denmark, on 4 February

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8241000/releaseinfo

• 6 months later...

In the UK this is going direct to Sky Cinema, available in about 3 weeks from now on August 20th

Still no word on a US release date/platform, or OST album release

• 3 weeks later...

Any UK residents watch this yet and want to report on the score?

@Jim Ware?

https://www.sky.com/watch/title/programme/edea0e2a-16ca-4520-aa0a-2c292541206b

I guess no score album release until the film opens in the US somewhere?

I’ve watched. It is fine music, nothing fantastic but some good bits. Doesn’t his best animation output (Incredibles, Ratatouille, Up) but also it is much better than Zootopia. On par with Coco Id say. The highlight is a montage cue in the middle of the album. The themes are pleasant enough, but not too memorable. The first cue was pretty as well but it was cut short due to a gag (that happens a lot in the movie, unfortunately). There is a musical number which is nothing special in the middle of the movie as well.

And the credits lists “Themes by Mick and Michael Giacchino” and “Music by Mick Giacchino”. But like American Pickle last year, it sounds 100% like a Giacchino score. Looks like he is creating his clone army for world domination haha

1 minute ago, saulocf said:

The highlight is a montage cue in the middle of the album

There's an album out?

18 minutes ago, saulocf said:

And the credits lists “Themes by Mick and Michael Giacchino” and “Music by Mick Giacchino”. But like American Pickle last year, it sounds 100% like a Giacchino score. Looks like he is creating his clone army for world domination haha

Zimmer's apprentices at RC vs. Giacchino's sons vs. Marco Beltrami's assistents: who will win the ultimate battle for the Hollywood blockbusters?

Ohhh that makes more sense

Thanks for the report!

Hopefully this gets some sort of US release date, and album announcement!

• 3 weeks later...

This is finally opening in the US on October 16th, which is a Saturday, so I guess it's going to be on a streaming service and not in theaters?

Anyways, hopefully that means we finally get a score album on Friday the 15th or Friday the 22nd

• 2 months later...

Turns out it's actually coming to the US this Friday November 19th, on Netflix

https://www.netflix.com/title/81159137

Feels like our last chance to actually get a score album for this thing, then.  I guess we'll know by Wednesday if that's the case or not!

• 1 month later...

Anybody bothered to watch this film yet who can give us a report on what the score is like?

A shame it didn't even get a digital OST album, but then again Danny Elfman is scoring Netflix movies and not getting an OST album so I guess that's life.

• 3 months later...

Nice!  I've been listening to my rip of the end credits regularly since the film came out, it's super fun

I just learned he's scoring Star Trek Prodigy episodes too so he's getting plenty of work these days

• 2 months later...

The highlights of this score are indeed the montage cue from the middle of the movie, and the end credits

The album, overall, is too long, and too stop-and-start, to be very enjoyable.  But the highlights are wonderful!

Has anybody else on JWFan listened to this score?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The highlights of this score are indeed the montage cue from the middle of the movie, and the end credits

The album, overall, is too long, and too stop-and-start, to be very enjoyable.  But the highlights are wonderful!

Has anybody else on JWFan listened to this score?

I did, but I was really annoyed by the big amount of short tracks. I can usually get over that, but somehow I can't with this album.

There are some fun cues tho

13 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I can usually get over that, but somehow I can't with this album.

Agreed!

Since the score was recorded in February 2020 and the album didn't release until April 2022, you think somewhere in there somebody could have found a way to combine shorter cues into longer tracks