Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad's AN AMERICAN PICKLE (2020)

Jay

Michael Giacchino (Up, Star Trek, Lost, Jurassic World, The Incredibles, Ratatouille) is teaming up with Nami Melumad (Absentia) to score the upcoming comedy An American Pickle. The film marks the feature solo directorial debut of cinematographer Brandon Trost and stars Seth Rogen, Maya Erskine and Sarah Snook. The movie revolves around an immigrant worker at a pickle factory who is accidentally preserved for a century and wakes up in modern day Brooklyn. Simon Rich (Man Seeking Woman, Miracle Workers) wrote the screenplay. Rogen is also producing the Point Grey production with Evan Goldberg (This Is the End, The Interview) and James Weaver (Neighbors, The Disaster Artist). Giacchino has previously scored the 2011 feature 50/50 for the producers. An American Pickle is expected to be released in 2020 by Sony Pictures.

Giacchino’s upcoming projects also include Taika Waititi’s Jojo Rabbit, which will premiere next month at the Toronto Film Festival before being released on October 18 by Fox Searchlight. Melumad continues to score Amazon’s Stana Katie-starring series Absentia, which will return for its third season in 2020.

https://filmmusicreporter.com/2019/08/16/michael-giacchino-nami-melumad-to-score-brandon-trosts-an-american-pickle/

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This film is now out on HBO Max.  It looks really weird

Here's the OST tracklist

An-American-Pickle.jpg

1. Workin’ For Love in All the Wrong Places
2. New World Problems
3. A Greenbaum Family Reunion
4. Seltzer Your Soul
5. The Lonely Herschel Club
6. Klezmer Fight Club
7. Who Gives a Boop Bop
8. When the Greenbaum Breaks
9. Pickle Your Fancy
10. Revenge of the Ben
11. The Pickle Empire Strikes Back
12. The Fall and Rise of Herschel’s Twitter
13. The Herschel You Give
14. Yes You Canada
15. The Greenbaum Switcheroo
16. Schlepping to Schlupsk
17. Joining the Kaddish
18. Denouement to Be
19. The Silver Brining
20. Pickles, Suite or Sour

The release date for the OST is Friday August 7th, so it's already available in countries where it is already Friday, IE:

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/an-american-pickle-original-motion-picture-soundtrack/1526555368

My parents watched the film yesterday  and although I was unable to watch it with them, I could hear snippets of the score. Some nice orchestral colors from what I heard, not as quiet and paired-down as Jojo.

It says right on the cover: Giacchino wrote the themes, Melumads wrote the score that integrates them

Surely Gia wrote the themes and got attached to the project as favor to James Weaver, producer of this film and 50/50, while helping out a young up and coming composer, getting many people to buy/stream the album who otherwise wouldn't have if Gia's name wasn't attached

Gia seems to be sliding more and more into this role, since's he's also just providing the themes for Extinct as well.

Just got done listening to the album on Spotify

Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it's not bad, but it's not very memorable, one of those in one ear and out the other scores.  Not very Giacchino-y, either

3 hours ago, Jay said:

It says right on the cover: Giacchino wrote the themes, Melumads wrote the score that integrates them

Surely Gia wrote the themes and got attached to the project as favor to James Weaver, producer of this film and 50/50, while helping out a young up and coming composer, getting many people to buy/stream the album who otherwise wouldn't have if Gia's name wasn't attached

Gia seems to be sliding more and more into this role, since's he's also just providing the themes for Extinct as well.

Lol thanks I clearly didn't read the cover titles. :D

He's written a ton of amazing themes, the ones in this score didn't do much for me though 

• 1 month later...