September 22 JW Story on CBS Sunday Morning

karelm

3 hours ago, Falstaft said:

Also, an extended transcript including items that didn't make the final broadcast (e.g., a very short bit on The Rise of Skywalker) can be found here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/extended-transcript-john-williams-on-steven-spielberg-star-wars-and-the-power-of-music/

Thanks. This is the most insightful and deep interview with Williams I've read in years.

When did he, like, start talking like he's like, a millennial or something?

like, I don't bawl, but I really was choked up.

I wrote a love theme for Princess Leia, not knowing for, like, two or three years that they were brother and sister.

Steven and I have been working together since '73. That must be, like, 45 years.

Seriously, that extended transcript is a great interview. Even if it treads quite familiar ground, there are little twists and thoughts and insights that I haven't read before—not unlike the Across the Stars album itself. Makes you wonder how much else is left on the cutting room floor when these interview segments are produced. Probably every producer hears him tell the Schindler's story and says Yes! That's a great story, that's definitely going in.

To be honest though, I love that he still actually delights in telling that damn story. It's kinda adorable that he prefaces and ends the story by saying that he loves to tell it.

It’s a memorable story.

3 minutes ago, aviazn said:

A few yeahs in there too. Like, yeah.

I don’t know what I was expecting from this interview but it’s one of his best. Fab read. 

6 minutes ago, aviazn said:

Seriously, that extended transcript is a great interview. Even if it treads quite familiar ground, there are little twists and thoughts and insights that I haven't read before—not unlike the Across the Stars album itself. Makes you wonder how much else is left on the cutting room floor when these interview segments are produced. Probably every producer hears him tell the Schindler's story and says Yes! That's a great story, that's definitely going in.

To be honest though, I love that he still actually delights in telling that damn story. It's kinda adorable that he prefaces and ends the story by saying that he loves to tell it.

He's always been a hip cat.  Calling everyone baby like some cool hipster. 

25 minutes ago, MikeH said:

Fantastic. Loved it. 

My mom called and told me she enjoyed it too, and asked me if I’d ever heard the Schindler’s List story before... :nod:

Well, had you? ;)

12 minutes ago, aviazn said:

The curious case of John "Button" Williams.

5 minutes ago, karelm said:

He's always been a hip cat.  Calling everyone baby like some cool hipster. 

He's the original hipster!

2 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

At 5:40 in the interview...

Why is this man staring into our souls?

Untitled-1.jpg

I feel like if you look back through all photos of Williams throughout the decades, he can be seen lurking somewhere in the background, same pose, same stare, never changing.

Must've been a real challenge adapting the Schindler's List theme for violin...

And he said, "I know. But they're all dead." (LAUGHS) So, I went on to become the "live composer." (LAUGHS)

SMITH: That's a lovely story. (LAUGHS)

WILLIAMS: I love to tell that story.

:nod:

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Remember when Mike Matessino said Williams was misquoted when he said he was done with Star Wars?

I thought what Williams said was consistent with Mike's clarification - that's he done doing Star Wars films. As Galazy's Edge and Han Solo showed, opportunities can arise that don't involve scoring a whole film or trilogies of films. Of course, he may simply feel that he's done enough in that universe, but he did seem to be refering to full filmscores.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Remember when Mike Matessino said Williams was misquoted when he said he was done with Star Wars?

I was just thinking the same thing.  or Williams probably made up his mind in between. Maybe he will occasionally supply a theme or two but that's it. He needs to finish one more Indiana Jones film and do a new recording for Sony Classical summarising all themes from the the Skywalker Saga as we know it.

I think it was a very good introspective interview. Maestro Williams has poise, grace and a deep soulful spirit. I could almost hear some melancholy Herrmann score in the background. At 87, John Williams is just amazing.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

It's just a strategy to get that elusive 6th Oscar!

Its a possibility- if the movie is a critical success -it will eventually get an Oscar nomination. However, If the Academy votes to honor Williams one more time- it would certainly be a full circle for Williams starting with the 1977 film and ending it with the 9th film and winning his 6th.

On 9/15/2019 at 10:28 PM, Thor said:

It will reveal all kinds of new information and stories we didn't already know, like "we need a better composer -- I know, but they're all dead" and that nobody expected the first STAR WARS film to be a success. So better brace yourselves! :D

Ha! I was right. But still -- always nice to hear him talk and being in seemingly vibrant form.

34 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ha! I was right. But still -- always nice to hear him talk and being in seemingly vibrant form.

As soon as I read that part in the transcript I burst out laughing!

As much as I enjoyed seeing Williams seem so lively in his responses, it was kind of disheartening to hear the same types of questions again and again.

Hints of Williams' answers here reveal a huge wealth of technical and artistic knowledge which isn't dug into deeper than any of these interviews allow. I want to hear him talk process more often, process not product.

19 hours ago, thx99 said:

A streaming version of the broadcast is also featured on that site.

Also, an extended transcript including items that didn't make the final broadcast (e.g., a very short bit on The Rise of Skywalker) can be found here:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/extended-transcript-john-williams-on-steven-spielberg-star-wars-and-the-power-of-music/

Thanks. So, JW just excluded himself from Indy 5. Can't blame him!

WILLIAMS: Well, certainly, I think it's the end of the Skywalker story, as far as I understand it. Disney, which is the company that owns Lucasfilm, may want to go on and produce more Lucas-inspired films. But this will put the bow on the package for me.

Hints of Williams' answers here reveal a huge wealth of technical and artistic knowledge which isn't dug into deeper than any of these interviews allow. I want to hear him talk process more often, process not product.

Yeah, we all desire that. But when he only accepts interview requests from mainstream media (PBS, NBC, CBS etc.), that's all we're gonna get.

How fantastic it would have been if he had done one of those long composer interviews Jon Burlingame did awhile back (with Goldsmith etc.). I often dream of that myself -- booking a week with John Williams where we sit on the porch of his LA home and go through every single title and obscure detail in his life. :) Yes, I did say "dream".

11 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thanks. So, JW just excluded himself from Indy 5. Can't blame him!

WILLIAMS: Well, certainly, I think it's the end of the Skywalker story, as far as I understand it. Disney, which is the company that owns Lucasfilm, may want to go on and produce more Lucas-inspired films. But this will put the bow on the package for me.

Not sure, sounds more like he was referring to Star Wars.

He's clearly only referring to Star Wars there. If Spielberg still makes Indy 5 according to the current production schedule (unlikely) then he won't need to beg Williams to sign on. If his health allows him to write another 100 minutes of Raiders music, it's a fait accompli. 

If he's not doing Indy 5, it could imply he's retiring from all film scoring. Not very surprising if that's the case - he'll soon be 90 and probably wants to do more concert music before it's too late. Ref. the ongoing collaboration with Mutter, which I feel we've just seen (and heard) the start of. I would rather want him to revisit his vast catalogue of film music themes instead of providing the score to an uninspiring Indy 5.

I'd like new concert arrangements of his old themes but not for violin solo..full orchestra  like Spielberg/Williams collaboratio

His real concert works are too weird for me

On 9/22/2019 at 11:25 PM, Loert said:

And he said, "I know. But they're all dead." (LAUGHS) So, I went on to become the "live composer." (LAUGHS)

SMITH: That's a lovely story. (LAUGHS)

WILLIAMS: I love to tell that story.

:nod:

This story:sarcasm: ...Jerry Goldsmith was alive on 1993