Jump to content

Thor's Incomplete Non-C&C Thread


Jurassic Shark
 Share

Recommended Posts

By unpopular demand. 

 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

discussions about the film, how the score works in context or general or specific remarks about the album as is. Without the endless diatribes about 'missing music' and whatnot.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let's start with The Patriot! A solid OST, in my opinion. Four out of five stars. I especially like the pastorale opening of the first track. Then the Patriot theme kicks in, and I always think that the flutes are mixed too loudly. I would definitely listen to the theme more if the flutes were less prominent. Lockhart's recordings doesn't improve things either, and there the brass is way too distant in parts of the piece. A catchy theme though, that would be super fun to play on the piano. Too bad the official piano sheet only includes the pastorale opening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Interesting point about the flutes. Since the "fife-and-drum" aspect of the score was so important to JW, I guess he wanted the flutes front and center.

 

I can understand that, but when they're not doing the melody it just becomes a bit too much with their frantic playing.

 

1 minute ago, Thekthithm said:

If it's not on the album, it doesn't exist. 

 

What doesn't exist?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's nice.

 

New topic: What's the shortest OST that you really like?

 

Impossible to answer. I have so many OSTs that I like that are around 30-40 minutes (a great "symphony"-like length for a work). If there was a way to organize my iTunes collection by album length, I might find a few that are even shorter than that. I know there are several.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Thor said:

Ha, ha....well, great topic. But we should probably have some actual titles to discuss first, within those parameters.

 

Thor (Patrick Doyle)

 

Thor: The Dark World (Brian Tyler)

 

Thor: Ragnarok (Mark Mothersbaugh)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He, he.

 

Actualy quite like Doyle's THOR (the other two not so much) -- great, retrospective stylings merged with contemporary gimmicks ("Sons of Odin", albeit short, is one of my favourite tracks in the whole MCU thingie). But the OST is far too long at 71 minutes. There's quite a bit of more 'generic' bits that could have been weeded out; probably around 20-25 minutes worth.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Thor said:

 

Impossible to answer. I have so many OSTs that I like that are around 30-40 minutes (a great "symphony"-like length for a work). If there was a way to organize my iTunes collection by album length, I might find a few that are even shorter than that. I know there are several.

 

Yes, but are there any that's shorter than the typical duration of 30 minutes that used to be the standard in the dark ages?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

Yes, but are there any that's shorter than the typical duration of 30 minutes that used to be the standard in the dark ages?

 

Yes, quite a few. But it would take me long to find them. 

 

Just scrolling through my iTunes randomly from the top at the moment, there are these (all absolutely fine OSTs): A SINGLE MAN (Korzeniowski, 28 minutes), CRITICAL CONDITION (Silvestri, 24 minutes), CAST AWAY (Silvestri, promo, 25 minutes), GOOD MORNING VIETNAM (North, 18 minutes), SUBMARINE (Hewitt, 19 minutes), TANNA (Partos, 26 minutes)....and on and on. And that was only "A". Didn't even move on to "B".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The score promo. It's excellent; so simple, effective ideas perfectly presented in what is basically a long suite (of course, the score is very sparse to begin with). One of my favourite Silvestris post-2000.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

New topic: What's the shortest OST that you really like?

I have two off the top of my head.

 

Out of Africa (33:27)

The Death of Stalin (29:10)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Christopher Young's albums are almost always perfect in terms of length and assembly.

 

J. Williams' albums are also usually great, with odd choices here and there (Jurassic Park's credits appearing twice, putting The Stegosaurus near the end of The Lost World, leaving out Father and Son in Jaws' OST). But even then, with what we have available nowadays, those minor blemishes are easily remedied. 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Parameters have changed. Nowadays with all the playlists and edits, i don't care much for other's intentions. I found neither of our favourite composer's approach very successful, apart from a very short time period between 1976 and 1984, when most albums by Goldsmith, Williams, Morricone or Horner were about perfect.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Thor said:

The score promo. It's excellent; so simple, effective ideas perfectly presented in what is basically a long suite (of course, the score is very sparse to begin with). One of my favourite Silvestris post-2000.

 

Is this the promo?

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's probably best that whatever master tapes of music that didn't make it to the album be destroyed. It obviously serves no use outside the film and certainly shouldn't be released to the public anyway, so why keep it? It has no tangible value.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/17/2019 at 12:25 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

It's nice.

 

New topic: What's the shortest OST that you really like?

 

Well it's not JW nor is it an OST, but I adore the Utah Symphony's re-recording of Elmer's The Black Cauldron. A perfect album presentation at around 30 minutes, superbly performed and recorded (much better IMO than the film tracks on every level).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, JTWfan77 said:

 

Well it's not JW nor is it an OST, but I adore the Utah Symphony's re-recording of Elmer's The Black Cauldron. A perfect album presentation at around 30 minutes, superbly performed and recorded (much better IMO than the film tracks on every level).

 

I'm not familiar with that score, but I do like the Star Wars and Korngold albums performed by the Utahns. Who's conducting The Black Cauldron?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

 

I'm not familiar with that score, but I do like the Star Wars and Korngold albums performed by the Utahns. Who's conducting The Black Cauldron?

 

Elmer. You should check it out, it's a fantastic score:

 

https://www.varesesarabande.com/collections/cd-club/products/the-black-cauldron-encore-edition

 

It's aso available to stream or download on iTunes' if you'd rather.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.