"Wide Receiver" aka NBC Sunday Night Football Theme (Concert Version)

TownerFan

23 hours ago, King Mark said:

the MP3 says it's an Orchestra Recording 

MP3? What MP3?

Also, any of those other football for which an extended edition exists?

This one's pretty darn good!

Just now, Pieter_Boelen said:

MP3? What MP3?

On 9/23/2019 at 4:49 PM, Jay said:

Ah; thanks!

I found that file being linked to from this page under the "Sample Audio" button:

https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=04490827

That gave me the idea to do a Google search for halleonard.com "John Williams" "Sample Audio" which gives interesting results.

For example:

https://www.halleonard.com/product/8724856/john-williams-movie-themes-for-band

https://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.action?itemid=04000916

Too bad that those other "Sample Audio" tracks are also not real orchestra and have deliberate beeps in there to make them unfit for enjoyable listening.

Why are there apparently so many officially written suites and adaptations for which no recordings are available?

Wouldn't you expect that, since the sheet music is available, there should be plenty of recordings??

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

According to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBC_Sunday_Night_Football

image.png

What a bunch of tasteless morons.  Let's replace John Freakin' Williams with Carrie Underwood and whoever the heck Joel Beckerman is.

The melody is definitely still used in some contorted form during games, but I don't think they abandoned the JW versions completely after only two years.  Wasn't there a story on JWFan some years ago about the Maestro going back into the studio to "refresh" his football themes?  I couldn't find it in searching the site, but maybe someone else will have better luck than I did.

2 hours ago, Pieter_Boelen said:

MP3? What MP3?

Also, any of those other football for which an extended edition exists?

This one's pretty darn good!

well if you go on the Hal Leonard site you can download it as MP3

8 hours ago, igger6 said:

The melody is definitely still used in some contorted form during games, but I don't think they abandoned the JW versions completely after only two years.  Wasn't there a story on JWFan some years ago about the Maestro going back into the studio to "refresh" his football themes?  I couldn't find it in searching the site, but maybe someone else will have better luck than I did.

I think you may be thinking of the 1985 NBC news music, primarily "The Mission", which Williams "refreshed" in 2007 or thereabouts. But yes, they're still using his football theme in its electronic/rock version arranged by someone else.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I like the Today show Hoedown.

https://www.networknewsmusic.com/today-2004-bumper/

Indeed that one's a lot of fun!

Wished there was a version with a better recording quality though.

Surely in 2004 they could do better than that?? :lol:

16 hours ago, Thor said:

I think you may be thinking of the 1985 NBC news music, primarily "The Mission", which Williams "refreshed" in 2007 or thereabouts. But yes, they're still using his football theme in its electronic/rock version arranged by someone else.

I believe it is also used for highlight reels etc. on the internet videos, not sure if it is the hybrid or not though.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

What must be what?

I think he was responding to Thor.

I don't believe I've ever heard JW's original arrangement of the Sunday Night Football theme on NBC for at least the last five years (and possibly long before that). 

I do kinda like the rock arrangement, though:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

The original video is definitely a real performance recorded to sell the sheet music. However it's just extremely lossy because it was likely released for 2000s era internet. We should ask the Film Symphony Orchestra to record the entire suite and release it in lossless. They seem very willing to record obscure Williams pieces.

• 3 months later...

What the!?  Holliston Massachusetts is where I work lol

EDIT: OK, this company is literally down the street from my office.  Spooky.

Cool video!