Jerry Goldsmith's AIR FORCE ONE - 2019 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

10 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

So everything that is part of that track is already on the soundtrack somewhere else? I wonder, why they keep doing that!

For those fans who desire the music just as heard in the film for various reasons, including edited together end credits suites when there was no actual suite written. Those people would just keep complaining about the missing stuff. The producers of these sets are damned if they don't, damned if they do.

Personally something like the clunky end credits from The Mummy have no place in my listening experience when the OST already had such an awesome finale with the coherent piece of music like Sand Volcano. In the case of Air Force One I am left wondering why couldn't they just pull the edited suite from the tapes (missing/not available?) or couldn't recreate the edit from the sessions tapes if they had to resort to film stems, if the source is indeed that. 

Jay is right the opening drums for "End Credits" isn't found anywhere else. That I'm pretty sure is the true opening for "The Parachutes".  Not sure why they didn't use that in the main program instead of a film stem of the "End Credits".

Though knowing the technical facilities of their audience, they could have just included the drum roll for self-editing (or just included that same cue with and without). As it is now, it sounds dodgy.

I would suggest that most people buying this won't notice or care about whether they've used the film stem or included tracked cues.

It's not even a very remarkable of long suite it... just No Security and then a repeat of the last score track. But as said above, if they don't include it, some people will complain. If they do, others complain. They can't win.

5 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

It's not even a very remarkable of long suite it... just No Security and then a repeat of the last score track. But as said above, if they don't include it, some people will complain. If they do, others complain. They can't win.

You know what, an extended rendition of the russian theme would have been awesome as end credit piece.

I would suggest to these people to bury themselves. Everyone who enjoys the film version end credits of The Mummy is not worth being called a human being.

4 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Everyone who enjoys the film version end credits of The Mummy is not worth being called a human being.

I sort of still enjoy it - I ripped the DVD in my primitive soundtrack days. I don't have it now due to Intrada's set but it's not that bad. The musical content is good, just with one or two questionable edits.

And I'm not human, apparently. Nice to know.

Get Off My Plane has a different opening (minus russian theme, film version is worse). The Hijacking has a change for the worse in the film version, too, at the 6-minute mark where a repeat of the driving rhythm replaces the russian theme. The smaller cues have alterations that are more obvious, just not very interesting.

58 minutes ago, publicist said:

Though knowing the technical facilities of their audience, they could have just included the drum roll for self-editing (or just included that same cue with and without). As it is now, it sounds dodgy.

Well, I already know that I will have to relinquish this drum roll then. Because that end credits track will not land on my playlist, that's for sure.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I sort of still enjoy it - I ripped the DVD in my primitive soundtrack days. I don't have it now due to Intrada's set but it's not that bad. The musical content is good, just with one or two questionable edits.

But this is nothing that should be included on an official release. Film edits in general.

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

And I'm not human, apparently. Nice to know.

I know, I went too far there, but I get emotional, when I think of those end credits.:)

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

But this is nothing that should be included on an official release. Film edits in general.

I don't get this mindset of saying something shouldn't be on an official release, provided it's not taking up room or in place of the 'intended' cue.

If it's just an extra... a bonus if you like, and you still don't like it being there, then I think you're taking the product a bit too seriously. I get rid of source/classical/alternate cues all the time from playlists.

5 hours ago, GiacchinoCues said:

Is anybody familiar with what the differences are in the "film versions" on disc 2? They're not immediately noticeable.

They are very noticeable just compare each track. Especially if you have an editing program where you can compare the two side by side. But...here is a list of the differences and I hope this clears it up.

The Parachutes

-This one I am sure the original recording of it how it opens is the opening of "End Credits". The "End Credits" on this release is just a film stem and an editorially created piece.

Parachute Attack:
-From 1:06-1:27ish there's trumpet notes that are NOT included on the album version. 

The Hijacking

-As publicist said there's an edit at the 5:47 mark. This edit leaves out a chunk of material that's heard on the album version. I actually don't mind the film version and I used it.

Empty Rooms

-I am a bit puzzled they did not include a film stem of "Empty Rooms". The one in the film is a little different. I recreated is for my personal edit.

K.V. and The Hostages

-The film version has a 15 second opening that is not included in the alternate.  This opening plays when it shows Ivan smoking a cig, looking at the clock and says "It's time" before going to the room where the hostages are and kills one of them.

Marshall's Plan

-The film version opens up darker tone and the statement of the President's theme comes in later.

K.V. Lectures

-The one in the main body of the score is vastly different. It has different instrumentation and a piano that is NOT in the film version.

Sign It!

-This is nearly identical up until the end.  The alternate take on Disc 1 has a different end.

Get Off My Plane!
-This does not include the Russian theme from 0:14-0:24. The Russian theme would play when it shows Radek going to the desk to sign out for his release. The rest of the film version cue also has a little different instrumentation than the alternate. I actually prefer the film version though.

Air Force One In Trouble

-The film version is in the main body of the score but has volume issues.  Most likely a film stem rip in the main body.  The alternate take on Disc 2 does NOT have volume dips.

On a personal note as I stated in one of my earlier post with my track list for my personal edit, I put all the film version cues in the main body and put the alternates as bonus tracks.

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Get Off My Plane has a different opening (minus russian theme, film version is worse). The Hijacking has a change for the worse in the film version, too, at the 6-minute mark where a repeat of the driving rhythm replaces the russian theme. The smaller cues have alterations that are more obvious, just not very interesting.

I actually like the film version for "Get Off My Plane!" better always have since seeing the film.  The Russian theme at the beginning have always annoyed me since hearing it on the pristine boot.

Although "The Hijacking" I do agree with the edit isn't that great, I could have done better.  I still put it in the main body of my personal edit.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I don't know why specialty labels haven't made it routine to always include an explanation of what's different about each alternate in their booklets

Same here I wish they would.

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

The Parachutes

-This one I am sure the original recording of it how it opens is the opening of "End Credits". The "End Credits" on this release is just a film stem and an editorially created piece.

Wait what? So this features the drum roll that we also hear at the beginning of the End Credits?

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

The Hijacking

-As publicist said there's an edit at the 5:47 mark. This edit leaves out a chunk of material that's heard on the album version. I actually don't mind the film version and I used it.

So the film version is just from the film stems featuring an edit from the film?

34 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Wait what? So this features the drum roll that we also hear at the beginning of the End Credits?

So the film version is just from the film stems featuring an edit from the film?

For the first question, yes.

There was another boot of AFO that leaked before the pristine one.  That one had the unreleased Goldsmith cues in mono.  This had "Parachute Attack" film version again in mono but it was edited with "The Parachutes" and it opened up exactly as is.  I'll send you a PM with the file in question.

For the second question.

It's possible it was from a film stem, not sure. Or they could have just edited it like the film.

@Brundlefly Trent is theorizing that the drum roll was actually recorded as the true opening of The Parachutes, but there's never been a sheet music leak so we actually have no idea.  On the Varese DE, the drum roll only appears in the End Credits track, which is clearly taken from the music stem of the actual film.

I'm just saying to me it makes sense. To me what's presented on Disc 1, which is the album version has always sounded like an edit. Especially after how the opening sounds in the "End Credits"

2 hours ago, publicist said:

Why does it sound like an edit?

It just does. If just seems like someone cut off the percussion opening and did a fade in.  It's very easy to do and hide to make it seem like it was natural.

43 minutes ago, Trent B said:

It just does. If just seems like someone cut off the percussion opening and did a fade in.  It's very easy to do and hide to make it seem like it was natural.

It sounds perfectly normal to me, and it's certainly not a fade-in (it doesn't sound like it, sonically, and why would Goldsmith do this, at a time when he hardly joined two cues, let alone fade one?). I guess it was two options, one was slam-bang opening, or sustained snare one, might have been a length issue and both were recorded separately, then joined for the movie but Goldsmith didn't care enough to re-create the edit for the soundtrack album.

Small Soldiers was more requested than AFO and Varese did that one perfectly, as far as I know. (I’ve also never heard any complaint about Chain Reaction DE.)

There are plenty of non-Mattesino releases that are done perfectly well. It’s just that there are almost never any Mattesino releases that are messed up in some way.

Yavar

39 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Small Soldiers was more requested than AFO and Varese did that one perfectly, as far as I know. (I’ve also never heard any complaint about Chain Reaction DE.)

Didn't they use mp3s for some tracks on Small Soldiers?

8 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Not that I recall. Are you confusing it with Silvestri’s The A-Team?

Yavar

I don't recall that accusation hurled at The A-Team, but I do remember for GI Joe 1. And I remember someone here saying some tracks on the new Small Soldiers were mp3 quality.

11 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

I don't recall that accusation hurled at The A-Team, but I do remember for GI Joe 1. And I remember someone here saying some tracks on the new Small Soldiers were mp3 quality.

Oh yeah, I think I mixed those up. I knew it was some military-esque Silvestri new release that had that problem. Of course I don't own either score. :)

But I do own Small Soldiers and I love that release...kudos Varese, on that!

Yavar

An FSM poster has this to say about Air Force On In Trouble

I spoke with someone last week very close to the project, who told me that the ONLY available source for "Air Force One in Trouble" close to the quality of the rest of the music cues they used in this release was the FILM MIX, where they had "dipped" the volume in mixing the music to the action on screen. There was no other QUALITY version of that cue they could use. It was signed off by ALL relevant parties of this release.

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=136831&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=4&r=290#bottom

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

Still not here. That's almost 3 weeks now...

Karol

Bummer. :( 

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Is the alternate intact and unedited from proper sources?

25 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Is the alternate intact and unedited from proper sources?

I sure hope so, I hate film stems (yes, I'm talking about you, Hook).

The alternate mix is just fine. It has no volume dips or any other issues.

Anyways while I was not able to get a physical copy of the CD myself as I stated before a friend got it for me and it arrived yesterday.  Whoever the hell the mail man was yesterday needs a bitch slap.  There was another package in the tiny mail box of ours and BOTH packages should have gone into the larger one that was open. I had a hell of a hard time getting the package with the CD out as the package was shoved in there badly and tight and it almost got stuck when I was trying to get it out. Luckily the CD itself along with the case was unharmed.

AFO.jpg

On 10/25/2019 at 3:37 PM, Jay said:

I don't know why specialty labels haven't made it routine to always include an explanation of what's different about each alternate in their booklets

Maybe because every bit of info they put in their booklets has to be cleared by a studio, filmmakers or a composer and they don't always get permission?