Jerry Goldsmith's AIR FORCE ONE - 2019 2CD Varese Deluxe Edition

Jay

On 3/21/2020 at 7:10 AM, fommes said:

Here's a quick editing guide for Air Force One:

-Combine The Parachutes and The Parachute Attack (Film Version)
-Start with the opening of the end credits, switch to The Parachutes about 34 seconds in, and combine with The Parachute Attack for an alternate version
-Combine the opening of the film version of Ivan and the Hostages (this is presumably taken from film stem) with the album track (which has the rest in better quality); this way you only need one version in your edit.
-Marshall's Plan is the same except the film version has an additional opening, so you can use just that version.
-Sign It is not an alternate take, just has an alternate ending.
-Add "Empty Rooms" from album (with shortened silences) or the bootleg (silences intact) for the alternate ending (an alternate take with slightly different instrumentation in brass).
-Replace "Air Force One in Trouble" with the alternate take because the one in the main programme has volume dips and a very bad editing error.

Fact check:
-Target Air Force One is the same take as on the bootleg I have.
-Get Off My Plane is except for the opening entirely the same take.

The film version take for "Target Air Force One" is actually on a "promo" and I actually have that.

Also I still believe the way how the "The Parachutes" opens up via "End Credits" is originally the way how it was written/recorded.  As I stated before the very first bootleg of Air Force One's score where the unreleased Goldsmith cues were in mono it had "The Parachutes" then going into the film version of "Parachute Attack". The way how "The Parachutes" on this version of the bootleg is how it plays via "End Credits".

If I was able to I'd post the file here in the thread to let you all hear what i'm talking about.

Regarding the new Deluxe Edition, here is what I've found out about the bonus tracks, film stem, missing material etc.:

D1T2 "Parachute Attack"   ---   D2T12 "Parachute Attack (Film Version)"

#1 is the OST version, #2 is the film version.

D1T7 "The Hijacking, Part One & Two"   ---   D2T13 "The Hijacking, Part One & Two (Film Version)"

#1 the cue as recorded, #2 is the film edit taken from film stem.

D1T12 "Empty Rooms"

The version on the Deluxe Edition is the extended film version with an alternate ending, the OST ending is missing from the Deluxe Edition.

D1T14 "K.V. & The Hostages"   ---   D2T1 "K.V. & The Hostages (Film Version)"

The same recording, but the second one has an additional film version opening and is entirely taken from film stem.

D1T18 "Target Air Force One"

The version on the Deluxe Edition is an alternate version, the film version is missing from the Deluxe Edition.

D1T20 "Marshall's Plan   ---   D2T15 Marshall’s Plan (Film Version)"

The second one is the film version being taken from the film stem.

D1T22 "K.V. Lectures   ---   D2T16 K.V. Lectures (Film Version)"

The second one is the film version being taken from the film stem.

D2T4 "Sign It!   ---   D2T17 Sign It (Alternate Take)"

The same recording, but the second one has an alternate unused ending.

D2T5 "Get Off My Plane!   ---   D2T18 Get Off My Plane (Film Version)"

The same recording, but the second one has an alternate opening.

D2T8 "Air Force One in Trouble"   ---   D2T19 "Air Force One in Trouble (Alternate Take)"

#1 is the film version taken from the film stem with major volume issues, #2 is an alternate take in order to provide at least one intact version of the cue.

D2T11 "End Credits"

This is the film edit taken from the film stem featuring no additional material except the opening drum roll.

In the end, at least one version of every cue seems to be available from the superior sounding sources.

I'm really confused. Why did they put the film cues in the bonus section, but the film take with the volume dips couldn't be swapped out with the take that is fine?

There are some other tracks in the bonus section that have weird sonic artifacts, maybe that is why they went there, but that still doesn't answer my question from above.

Nobody knows the answer to your question, and the guys who produced this release don't make themselves available for interviews or post on message boards like Mike and Neil do

I guess, they put all the original cues in the main program. They especially mentioned in the booklet, how they seeked out for the spreadsheets of the score and maybe they just stuck to what it told them - thus the original intention in the main program, just the way Intrada did it with Alien.

From the End Credits onwards you get whatever film versions or alternates they found (+ the very important alternate take from the one deficient cue from the main program!). But that's where it gets a little negligent: At least one film version and one album version is missing, some more cues in the bonus section have inferior sound too and the edited Hijacking is just needless.

@Jay, did you make a spreadsheet of this one?

I have kind of an unusual playlist on my computer, that leaves out all the Joel McNeely material which I'm not a fan of. Luckily, that way I dodge all these annoying volume issues of this release. Besides, the lenght of 62 minutes is more than enough:

1. The Parachutes
  2. Parachute Attack
  3. The Motorcade
  4. Guided Tour
  5. No Security
  6. The Hijacking
  7. Emty Capsule
  8. Empty Hall / Downstairs / Hanging About
  9. Terms
  10. Stalking the Plane
  11. Empty Rooms
  12. Get to Work
  13. Ivan and the Hostages
  14. Mother Russia
  15. Plane on the Ground
  16. The First Hostage
  17. Free Flight
  18. I'll Do It
  19. Get Off My Plane!
  20. Radek's Release
  21. Escape from Air Force One
  22. Welcome Aboard

• 2 weeks later...

The film version take for "Target Air Force One" is actually on a "promo" and I actually have that.

The version on the Deluxe Edition is an alternate version, the film version is missing from the Deluxe Edition.

If you line up the 'film version' and the one on the Deluxe, they are the same take, but there's a slight difference in the beginning, which I think might be either a trumpet overlay or an insert for the very beginning.

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2020 at 2:57 PM, Brundlefly said:

Luckily, that way I dodge all these annoying volume issues of this release

Is there more than one track that has volume dips?

• 3 months later...

I don't know if the formerly "complete release" may be mentioned here. If so, I'll delete the following comparison: I've put the version of the unmentionable I've had for years into Jay's chart. The only bit I found interesting is that one track, "Air Force One In Trouble" is only available on the DE.

2019 Varese Deluxe Edition 1997 OST Bootleg
1-01 The Parachutes (2:08) 1 The Parachutes (5:14) 1-01 Main Titles - Parachutes
1-02 Parachute Attack (3:25)  
1-03 The Motorcade (2:43) 2 The Motorcade (2:40) 1-02 The Motorcade - Boarding Air Force One
1-04 Guided Tour (1:27)  
1-05 No Security (3:09) 5 No Security (2:59) 1-03 No Security
1-06 Gibbs Fires (0:33)   1-04 Gibbs - The Hijacking
1-07 The Hijacking, Part One & Two (7:52) 4 The Hijacking (7:30)
1-08 Empty Capsule (2:37)   1-05 Recovering the Pod
1-09 Empty Hall, Downstairs, Hanging About (1:38)   1-06 Alive and Alone
1-10 Terms (2:36)   1-07 Intentions
1-11 Stalking The Plane (1:54)   1-08 Hiding (edit?)
1-12 Empty Rooms (4:16) 3 Empty Rooms (4:02) 1-09 Empty Rooms
1-13 Get To Work (0:58)   1-10 Safe - Get to Work (edit?)
1-14 KV & The Hostages (1:15)   1-11 Who Will Be First - A Very Good Negotiator
1-15 NSA Is Shot (1:17)  
1-16 Mother Russia (1:30)   1-12 Because I Believe
1-1-17 Marshall On Phone (1:37)   1-13 Emergency Call
1-18 Target Air Force One (2:40)   1-14 Order to Fire
1-19 Plane On The Ground (1:07)   1-15 An Idea - Fuel Control
1-20 Marshall's Plan (0:54)  
1-21 The First Hostage (2:50)   1-16 Melanie Mitchell - Rules of War
1-22 KV Lectures (0:27)  
1-23 Dumping Fuel (2:29)   1-17 The Right Wire
1-24 Fuel's On Its Way (1:03)   2-01 Freeing the Hostage - A Fax from Air Force One
1-25 Fax To The White House (1:19)  
1-26 Escape In Process (0:39)  
1-27 Where Is The President? (0:43)  
2-01 Free Flight (4:54) 6 Free Flight (4:41) 2-02 Free Flight
2-02 Hostage President (4:00)   2-03 Marshall Meets Ivan . I'll Do It
2-03 I'l Do It 1:22)  
2-04 Sign It! (2:04)   2-04 Radek is Released
2-05 Get Off My Plane! (4:51)   2-05 Marshall makes his Move
2-06 Radek's Release (with Chorus) (1:42)   2-06 Radek is Free
2-07 The Dogfight (4:14)   2-07 Air Combat
2-08 Air Force One In Trouble (3:14)    
2-09 Escape From Air Force One (5:29) 7 Escape From Air Force One (5:25) 2-08 Escape from Air Force One
2-10 Welcome Aboard (2:10) 8 Welcome Aboard, Sir (2:06) 2-09 Welcome Aboard Sire
2-11 End Credits (6:01)   2-10 End Credits

2-12 Parachute Attack (Film Version) (3:24)    
2-13 The Hijacking, Part One & Two (Film Version) (7:51)  
2-14 KV & The Hostages (Film Version) (1:29)    
2-15 Marshall's Plan (Film Version) (1:05)    
2-16 KV Lectures (Film Version) (0:32)    
2-17 Sign It (Alternate Take) (2:08)    
2-18 Get Off My Plane (Film Version) (4:51)    
2-19 Air Force One In Trouble (Alternate Take) (3:15)  

On 9/27/2019 at 7:52 PM, Disco Stu said:

It kinda seems like McNeely deserved a main co-composing credit given how many of these cues he's credited on.

Interesting. I must confess that I never watched the movie, but I bought long ago a soundtrack CD of Air Force One where only one track is credited to be composed by Jerry Goldsmith, the Main Theme. The rest of the tracks is credited to be composed by Joel McNeely. So, I thought, it is either like Solo, where one composer just wrote the title track, or one of the scores was rejected. Does anyone know the actual circumstances?

20 hours ago, Kühni said:

I don't know if the formerly "complete release" may be mentioned here

There's never been a time on this website that people weren't allowed to talk about bootlegs.  You might be thinking of FSM

I've been mod for 10 years and never had to enforce anything like that. 

Ricard's always been the only owner of the site. I remember him asking me once about posts talking about a new score before the release date (I don't remember which one), but don't recall discussing people talking about music you can't buy 

Yeah, I remember that "high-necked leather footwarmer" was introduced here as a substitute term :lol:  

for some reason I feel like it happened after the Indiana Jones Concord box came out and before the FSM release of Star Trek II came out

Wojo coined the term on May 12, 2009 here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17627-michael-giacchinos-star-trek/&do=findComment&comment=569664

That was before I was mod, it would have been Mr Breathmask then I believe.  He wouldn't have cared if anyone talked about boots. Before him was Neil Bulk. I don't think he cared then either, he didn't start working in the industry until later. 

Maybe Ricard didnt allow it for a while. I don't remember

It was definitely under the Breathmask/Bulk era. I'm not sure we ever fully understood what was behind the rule but we weren't allowed to talk directly about bootlegs any more, and it didn't go down well. I struggle to find examples as it was a long time ago.

I found it! Marc made a new policy about not discussing bootlegs about a month before Wojo's post, and posted it as an announcement, not a discussion thread. I don't remember any of this, but apparently  I copied the entire text of his announcement in this thread here:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17524-jwfans-new-bootleg-discussion-policy/

This was well before I was a mod, Mr. Breathmask and apparently still Neil were the only mods at the time. I think this policy was only ever lightly enforced and didn't accomplish much, and just kind of got phased out organically without any hurrah.  I don't feel like digging more to see if I can find a reversal announcement, but I don't think there is one; One of the first things I did as a mod was go over all the rules Ricard wanted for the forum and we rewrote some together, and that got posted here in 2011

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20175-forum-rules-please-read-before-posting/

So apologies for misremembering, while it has been allowed for the majority of the past 21 years, there was indeed a brief window where either Marc, or Marc and Ricard combined had second thoughts about it :)

I recently purchased the expanded score, great music co-wrote with Joel McNeely. The movie is still okay, but I think to myself it has aged not so well.

I didn't knew that Randy Edelman original score was rejected for this one. The shame!

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Randy Newman (the "I Love LA“ guy) was the original composer, not Randy Edelman

It’s a fun alternate effort but I can see why it was probably too much for the film. Randy Newman is a touch too ironic in his Americana whereas Jerry just serves it up with total seriousness. Plus Randy’s action music is just too frenetic scoring every moment rather than enhancing the overall drama and momentum of each scene. 

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Randy Newman is a touch too ironic

I keep saying this: Whoever had the idea of getting Newman to score this and thought he could ever take it even remotely seriously must have had no idea about what else Newman had been writing.

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I keep saying this: Whoever had the idea of getting Newman to score this and thought he could ever take it even remotely seriously must have had no idea about what else Newman had been writing.

This.

8 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Then again, scores like The Natural, Avalon and Awakenings (to name but three) are very sincere so it's not like he can't write with genuine emotion or scoring without any hint of irony. However, totally agreed that he didn't seem an ideal fit for Air Force One. I assume the chance of his score ever getting a release is slim to non-existent but maybe one day, it's still got some fine writing in it.

11 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Then again, scores like The Natural, Avalon and Awakenings (to name but three) are very sincere so it's not like he can't write with genuine emotion or scoring without any hint of irony. However, totally agreed that he didn't seem an ideal fit for Air Force One. I assume the chance of his score ever getting a release is slim to non-existent but maybe one day, it's still got some fine writing in it.

Oh, I'm certainly not saying that Newman is incapable of writing sincere, or moving, or "serious" action music. He's done so before. But I imagine none of it was for a film that's basically an apotheosis of a US president gloriously killing terrorists. I imagine he must have been tempted to use Political Science as an end credits song.

(It would have fit in nicely with Goldsmith's score as well, in at least one regard:

Additional Engineer: Bruce Botnick)

• 4 months later...

I always found the expanded action material the most exciting stuff.

There's also the 'creeping' music with the piano, but I'm not sure if that was already on the album - possibly similar to Empty Rooms, but I think there's some more somewhere.