Michael Biehn thinks Stanley Kubrick was an a**hole

Quintus

He's not the only one. I doubt Shelley Duvall has many positive things to say either (had she not been mentally ill). He was notoriously difficult to work with, but what a genius filmmaker!

Side-topic, but I once asked Biehn at a convention Q & A if The Abyss had been a particularly difficult shoot. He said it had had its challenges, but they were nothing compared to putting this together - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Victim_(2011_film)

I once heard a second-hand quote from a Hollywood producer in the 1980s "Nobody who ever worked with Stanley Kubrick liked Stanley Kubrick."  Doesn't mean he didn't make some tremendous films.

Also, "It took Scatman Crothers 122 takes to get the pantry scene in The Shining."  Jesus.

On 10/1/2019 at 3:57 PM, Edmilson said:

Biehn is right, Kubrick was an a-hole. A genius, for sure, but an a-hole.

Do you speak from personal experience?

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Do you speak from personal experience?

I was a happy 6 year old boy who spent most of his days watching cartoons and playing with toys when he died!

But I don't need to have experienced myself Kubrick's "assholeness" to say that he was. Just look for the various accounts of people who have worked with him.

Okay ... (searching the internet)

First result:

MV5BYWNlNTFiMDAtOWI5OC00YmVjLTlkMjgtZTg3

Philip Stone: "You didn't mess with Stanley. I saw him get upset and swear, and at least one famous actor fell foul of him. The thing was not be frightened of him. I was never frightened of him, which was why we got on so well." 

Second result: 

Frederic Raphael: "We got on very well. I think Kubrick rather liked me."

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Philip Stone: "You didn't mess with Stanley. I saw him get upset and swear, and at least one famous actor fell foul of him. The thing was not be frightened of him. I was never frightened of him, which was why we got on so well." [...]Frederic Raphael: "We got on very well. I think Kubrick rather liked me."

You don't measure how nice a person is by the people he gets along with easily.

Another director who was a royal jerk was Sir David Lean. And yet certain people in his crew (especially his actresses - Lean was a huge womanizer) he got along with very well. Doesn't change the fact that he was generally a very unpleasant man on-set.

Film history is full of these people. Bernard Herrmann was a notorious jerk too, but no one is faulting his brilliance as a composer.