Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir)

Thor

On 10/14/2019 at 11:08 PM, Arpy said:

It seems as if this film doesn't go quite that far to suggest he could be that mastermind by the end, but if they make a followup, I think he's certainly capable of becoming that.

Yes.  They need to show the events that make Joker a mastermind.  Maybe they should make a followup in which Joker gets arrested for the murder of the Wayne businessmen (considering how he admitted it in front of a crowd), and is treated extremely badly in jail, turning him into the evil man he needs to become.

The movie's cinematographer answers one of the most ambiguous scenes on the film:

Spoiler

“We wanted to make the interpretation of the real versus what’s not real, a part of the viewer’s experience,” Sher recently told /Film. “For instance, his relationship to Sophie is a fantasy to him. Some people have asked me, ‘Was she killed?’ Todd makes it clear she wasn’t killed. Arthur is killing people who’ve wronged him in a certain way, and Sophie never wronged him.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/10/joker-arthur-kills-sophia-debate-answer-1202184505/

There's a stateliness to the way we perceive the sinking of the Titanic. It was not stately. If you were on the ship, it was a rocket sled of a ride. It was a roller coaster.

you can hear the human element of the musicians playing the cello in the music, highlighting the person behind the famous villain.

If the fact that human beings play a single instrument in a score can become that significant, Jesus, what state is film music in? 

6 hours ago, gkgyver said:

If the fact that human beings play a single instrument in a score can become that significant, Jesus, what state is film music in? 

I wrote that down to highlight the impact of that fact in the score. Of course there are still some amazing scores out there if you look hard enough :-) But with that said, I also do not mind an electronic score from time to time. 

Great interview with the movie's DP Lawrence Sher, on which he dissects some of the key scenes on the movie, like the subway scene and the stairs dance:

https://variety.com/2019/artisans/features/joker-stairs-subway-scene-cinematographer-lawrence-sher-1203396242/

This is going to be the first R-Rated movie to earn more than a billion dollars at the worldwide box office, as well as, if I'm not mistaken, the first one to do so without a single penny from China since The Dark Knight - which also had a memorable Joker.

Amazing film. Half-way into the film though (such a terrific plot) I thought it would've been epic for it to suddenly change pace 180°, like insane Dark Knight superhero quality, ie. when White Room by Cream kicked in. Not a movie with superhero action in waves, but literally just the 2nd half being a 180° change to a superhero movie. The slowness of the film was that good, it would've been one for the records to see that bold mental click of Joker suddenly taking everybody by surprise. A risky pay off.

That's what you get I guess when someone does such a good job at slow film. You think a sudden surprise changing the 2nd half of the movie, would make it that much more monumental of a piece of art. A creative story decision.

This was the difference between it being great, and being better than Dark Knight.

It's just as misanthropic as TDK. People said the same thing about Batman Returns, yet it never felt as dark and disturbing and depressing as this shit. They're funny book movies about a guy who dresses up as a bat and fights a clown. Why so serious?

Well, it's not trying to be a comic book film, and it doesn't really follow any of the conventions of the past MCU or DC films establish. 

I like this serious turn, of taking these comic book characters and adding a bit of depth to their characters. 

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

All he has are negative thoughts, how deep can he be?

So boiling down his character to one line is what you took away from the film? 

My gosh...

The movie has reached US$ 984m at the worldwide BO, surpassing every Harry Potter movie (except for the last one) and the Hobbit sequels. Therefore, now it's the 6th biggest WB movie ever, behind only HP 7.2, Aquaman, TDKR, An Unexpected Journey and TDK.

To paraphrase Star Trek, Joker is boldly going where no R-Rated movie has gone before!

It’s kind of astonishing that people would flock and pay money to essentially be abused for two hours.

Film’s absolutely soul-crushing, I thought, but exquisitely well put together.

Tbh, I didn't find the movie all that disturbing and violent. Yeah, it's grim and dark, and not the kind of movie you would watch with your granny, but still... It isn't as depressing and nihilistic as Se7en, Zodiac or Requiem for a Dream.

I guess this is the secret of the movie's unbelivable box office: it gave the crowd used to the VFX-heavy action adventures from Marvel and DC something they weren't used to watch. Most of the audience of the movie, specially the younger ones, knows the name of all of the Infinity Stones and their location, but they haven't quite watched a movie such as Joker yet. And that may be what will open them for other kinds of cinema...

Or just hype for another DC villain movie on this same style.

It has various scenes of extreme violence. Yes, it's dark and disturbing throughout. There is literally nothing uplifting that happens in the entire movie outside of his brief fantasies, which are still bizarre and rather creepy. It's an entirely depressing movie about a sick man descending further into madness in a misanthropic world.

Yesterday, the movie finally surpassed the 1 billion mark on the worldwide box office, becoming the 7th film on 2019 to do so, the first one this year that is neither related to Disney nor the MCU, the first R Rated movie on unadjusted grosses and the third one to reaching this number without playing in China.

It also surpassed The Dark Knight's worldwide BO to become DC's third biggest movie (behind The Dark Knight Rises and Aquaman), and also the biggest film featuring any incarnation of the Joker.

Without even playing on China, this movie has become bigger than 14 (out of 23) of the MCU movies released so far.

JOKER Sequel Officially In The Works As Todd Phillips Plans More DC Villain Origin Movies

Joker recently laughed its way past $1 billion at the global box office, making it the first ever R-rated film to achieve this milestone, and now that inevitable sequel has been announced. 

According to THR, director Todd Phillips is likely to re-team with star Joaquin Phoenix for a direct follow-up to the controversial film, which would presumably continue Arthur Fleck's journey towards becoming the iconic Clown Prince of Crime.

That's not all, though! The filmmaker reportedly asked WB brass for the rights to develop a portfolio of DC characters' origin stories, and while he didn't get that, he is said to have left the meeting "with the rights to at least one other DC story." We have no idea which character(s) that could be, but there's a lot of trade chatter that it's another villain, with Lex Luthor's name popping up in a couple of reports.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker/joker-sequel-officially-in-the-works-as-todd-philips-plans-more-dc-villain-origin-movies-a171745

So, if the trend of the 2000s were the "dark, realistic and depressing" superhero movies (X-Men, Lee's Hulk, Daredevil, Batman Begins, TDK) and the trend of the 2010s were the interconnected superhero cinematic universes, the 2020s will be the decade of the supervillain origins movies?

Are we finally going to get those much talked Magneto and Doctor Doom movies?

On 11/21/2019 at 1:53 AM, Edmilson said:

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/joker/joker-sequel-officially-in-the-works-as-todd-philips-plans-more-dc-villain-origin-movies-a171745

So, if the trend of the 2000s were the "dark, realistic and depressing" superhero movies (X-Men, Lee's Hulk, Daredevil, Batman Begins, TDK) and the trend of the 2010s were the interconnected superhero cinematic universes, the 2020s will be the decade of the supervillain origins movies?

Are we finally going to get those much talked Magneto and Doctor Doom movies?

As of today, Phillips has come out saying he never said there was any sequel confirmed and THR took several things out of context. There's no contract or anything at this point.

Yeah, he clarified the rumour on a interview with IndieWire:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/todd-phillips-disputes-joker-sequel-rumors-no-contract-1202191289/

But the movie made over a billion dollars worldwide on a minuscule budget. A sequel will happen one way or another, as well as other people trying to imitate its success.

A YouTuber I watch made a very good pitch for a potential plot for Joker 2:

• 2 months later...

‘Joker’ Live Concert World Tour To Kick Off In London In April

EXCLUSIVE: $1BN+ global box office and 11 Oscar nominations isn’t enough for Warner Bros’ Joker. The pic is gearing up for an international live-in-concert run that will commence in London on April 30.

The news comes two days after the film’s composer Hildur Guðnadóttir picked up the Original Music BAFTA having also won the Golden Globe, cementing her as the frontrunner for Oscar. At the BAFTAs, the film also won Best Actor for Joaquin Phoenix and the Best Casting award.

The live Joker event, featuring a full orchestra, will begin at London’s Eventim Apollo on April 30 before touring the UK until July. It will also expand to European and further international locations, with dates and venues to be announced.

The London opening will be conducted by Jeff Atmajian – the conductor and orchestrator of the original soundtrack – with Dave Mahoney of concert outfit Senbla conducting the UK Tour dates. Senbla founder Ollie Rosenblatt is producing the event.

Icelandic composer Guðnadóttir is a hot talent at the moment, having also won a Grammy and Emmy for her work on HBO series Chernobyl.

“I’m thrilled to get to see and hear Joker in the cinema with a live orchestra. When we recorded the music, the orchestra brought such depth and detailed attention to the performances that we were all literally holding our breaths during most of the recording sessions. It was a beautiful trip. I’m so happy to get to go there again and for an audience to experience that too,” Guðnadóttir commented.

“I speak for the entire Joker team when I say how thrilled we are to be working with Senbla and Ollie Rosenblatt on Joker – Live in Concert. I think it’s a wonderful way for audiences to experience Hildur Guðnadóttir‘s haunting and immersive score while bearing witness to Joaquin Phoenix’s descent into madness as Arthur,” added director Todd Phillips.

https://deadline.com/2020/02/joker-live-concert-world-tour-london-april-1202849628/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oscar Winner Hildur Guðnadóttir Reveals Her 5 Favorite Film Scores

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/awards/9373666/oscar-winner-hildur-gudnadottir-favorite-film-scores

The Shining: Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind created the music for Stanley Kubrick's psychological horror classic from 1980. "It’s probably one of my all-time favorite film scores, with music that really, really gets under your skin," Hildur told Oscar.com.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me: Angelo Badalamenti created the music for David Lynch's psychological horror film from 1992. The soundtrack reached No. 173 on the Billboard 200. "I think that score is fantastic," Hildur said. "I love the simplicity of it."

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance): Antonio Sánchez created the music for Alejandro G. Iñárritu's black comedy/drama from 2014. “I absolutely adored that score…," Hildur said. "It was great to see how drums could carry the whole emotional spectrum. It's exciting to see innovative scores like that."

The Revenant: Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto created the music for Iñárritu's follow-up film, released in 2015. Hildur's cello playing is prominently featured on this score, which was nominated for best original score at the Golden Globes and best film music at the BAFTAs but was ruled ineligible for the Oscar for best original score because it was "assembled from the music of more than one composer."

When Harry Met Sally…: Marc Shaiman and Harry Connick Jr. collaborated on the music for Rob Reiner's  beloved 1989 rom-com. Connick's album of the same name reached No. 42 on the Billboard 200 and was a chart fixture for more than two years. Connick, then just 21, sings such standards as "Our Love Is Here to Stay," "But Not for Me," "Stompin' at the Savoy" and "Don't Get Around Much Anymore." "That's the film I’ve probably seen the most often with my mom," Hildur said. "We love it. We basically know every single word. That one is more just for the fun of watching the film.”

Picking The Shining as a favorite film score is bizarre.  It's 99% needle drops.

I'm not saying the soundtrack isn't brilliantly effective, but you can't say "It’s probably one of my all-time favorite film scores" when it literally is not a film score.