Joker (Hildur Guðnadóttir)

Thor

46 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But she didn't really commit to off-the-beaten path choices either.  To be honest, a list like that mostly communicates to me that she doesn't really think seriously or care about film music at all.

Her music communicates that too!

On 5/8/2020 at 8:49 PM, Disco Stu said:

Picking The Shining as a favorite film score is bizarre.  It's 99% needle drops.

I'm not saying the soundtrack isn't brilliantly effective, but you can't say "It’s probably one of my all-time favorite film scores" when it literally is not a film score.

Perhaps she simply prefers to judge a soundtrack by how its used in the movie. Not by how listenable it is to the common ear.

(Also the Shining score is still a film score!)

On 5/9/2020 at 5:18 AM, Disco Stu said:

But she didn't really commit to off-the-beaten path choices either.  To be honest, a list like that mostly communicates to me that she doesn't really think seriously or care about film music at all.

It's always those sorts of people who seem to make it in the industry for some reason...!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Joker inarguably one of the most celebrated scores of recent memory as Hildur literally swept the awards circuit with her score.

Clemy finally reviews it and as expected, bodyslams it to the ground.

https://www.filmtracks.com/titles/joker.html

22 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This thread is a joke.

Well it is NOW ( see previous post)😝

Based on the trailer I expected to dislike the film.

I've now seen it twice.

Then again, I have an OPEN mind- unlike 99 percent of the posters here. The made up their 'minds' and nothing will change it. Or, they won't admit they were wrong.

• 6 months later...

Screenshot_2021-03-13-15-31-54.png

LScreenshot_2020-08-07-15-20-28~2.pngScreenshot_2020-08-03-17-46-02.png

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Is this the winningest score of all time? (Look it up, it is a word)

Seems like it.

She has literally won everything there is to win for this score. It is literally insane.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

And I thought... my jokes were bad

To make matters worse...

He stole that ' joke' - from SHARK!😅

On 8/28/2020 at 11:13 AM, blondheim said:

I will never understand how some people don't have room for both the orchestral stuff and the more minimalist scores.

People do have room.

Only film score fans dont

I think the awards it's getting are well-deserved. There's unquestionably a political factor involved in many of these wins, but thankfully the score is strong enough to carry it regardless.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

Accolades for atmospheric dissonance and a strained cello.

The inventiveness is breathtaking.

It's not really inventive. It is what Hans Zimmer did in The Dark Knight already to accompany the Joker's actions.

Or, no wait. He didn't use a solo cello.

A lot of JWFanners have a hard time understanding that different people like to listen to and watch different things that they like to listen to and watch.  Or they know this, but like to be angry about it anyway

5 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

It's not really inventive. It is what Hans Zimmer did in The Dark Knight already to accompany the Joker's actions.

Or, no wait. He didn't use a solo cello.

Don't worry, it was a joke (just like this score).

You poor thing😒.

I pity you,  and all like you.😞

5 hours ago, Jay said:

A lot of JWFanners have a hard time understanding that different people like to listen to and watch different things that they like to listen to and watch.  Or they know this, but like to be angry about it anyway

SOYLENT GREEN is people.

JWFAN ers is.........?

😎

Is it a bad score? No. Are there parts which are quite good? Yes. Did it work well with the picture? Yes. I'm not trashing this score, I'm just annoyed it is automatically entered and received by these awards boards and has won over better scores.

Even with this forum heavily biased towards JW, can anyone say Joker deserved a win over Rise of Skywalker, or Thomas Newman's 1917?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

That, or maybe it's just really poopy?

17 minutes ago, Arpy said:

....can anyone say Joker deserved a win over Rise of Skywalker, or Thomas Newman's 1917?

Yes.

Not only any one- apparently every one.

That's life.

Just curious.

What were the Grammy nominees?

" Success is the enemy to the losers of the day",

On 3/15/2021 at 3:36 AM, crumbs said:

Accolades for atmospheric dissonance and a strained cello.

The inventiveness is breathtaking.

I think Joker is an overrated score, but it is undeniably an effective score and hits you in and out of the film. 

Does it deserved all those awards? Imo, no. But film music fans are the same group of people who would have given Elfman 5 Oscars for writing the same fantasy scores over and over again and never complain about "inventiveness."

So...

On 3/15/2021 at 10:14 PM, Arpy said:

Is it a bad score? No. Are there parts which are quite good? Yes. Did it work well with the picture? Yes. I'm not trashing this score, I'm just annoyed it is automatically entered and received by these awards boards and has won over better scores.

Even with this forum heavily biased towards JW, can anyone say Joker deserved a win over Rise of Skywalker, or Thomas Newman's 1917?

Yes.

Newman probably deserves an Oscar, but not for 1917. Other than the fact the score is just not that good, that score is the least Newman score of his career. If Newman won, he should thank Zimmer in his speech. I would hate that to be the score that defines his career.

Rise of Skywalker is a better listening experience but if we are going to talk about inventiveness...this isn't it. 

With that said, if I have to give the Oscar to someone that year, I would say Little Women. A beautiful and fitting score to the movie.  

" Deserves got nothing to do with it".

Voters don't take the time to listen to all the scores, or watch all the films.You expect an informed and carefully considered vote when that's not reality.