Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll

Dr. Rick

Black Friday 2019 JW prediction poll  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What JW release(s) do you think will come out on Black Friday

• The Reivers (50th anniversary)
    • Sugarland Express (45th anniversary)
    • The River (35th anniversary)
    • Born on the Fourth of July (30th anniversary)
    • Always (30th anniversary)
    • Hook
    • JFK (in the LLL hopper for a couple years now presumably)
    • Far and Away
    • Amistad
    • Angela's Ashes (20th anniversary)
    • The Patriot
    • Minority Report
    • Catch Me if You Can
    • The Terminal (15th anniversary)
    • War of the Worlds
    • Star Wars mega box set
    • Indiana Jones mega box set
    • Other (your guess below)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 29/11/19 at 03:05 AM

19 minutes ago, ATXHusker said:

I believe there is still a VS batch to come out this year?  

Nothing from Williams though. Or was that Intrada? One of the two. 

But not recently. They just referred to two more batches this year early on after the February batch. I think there’s a good chance it’s delayed until early next year, considering it’s December and we still haven’t heard anything.

Yavar

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lincoln was recorded in Chicago, not LA

Totally forgot about that! So the fees in question are specific to LA musicians and not US-wide?

Definitely good news, hopefully means Mike could tackle a Lincoln expansion in the foreseeable future (before anyone else moves the goalposts and makes non-LA expansions prohibitively expensive).

There's nothing sadder than the reality we can't have albums because of some licensing bullshit. How many years of my life have to go by before these trivialities are ironed out and the music finally gets its chance to be heard. 

I'm going to write to Trump and see if he can make a better deal.

15 hours ago, crumbs said:

I guess there's some hope for shorter scores like Lincoln

Lincoln was recorded in Chicago with the Chicago Symphony Orchestra.  I don't know what union/contract rules might apply there.

EDIT: Sorry!  I hadn't gone to the next page and seen that Jay already said this.  But also, Lincoln isn't really in need of an expansion.  It's an incredibly sparsely spotted film to begin with, I'm not even sure what if anything is missing from the FYC.  And anyway, the OST is perfect!

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

Totally forgot about that! So the fees in question are specific to LA musicians and not US-wide?

Definitely good news, hopefully means Mike could tackle a Lincoln expansion in the foreseeable future (before anyone else moves the goalposts and makes non-LA expansions prohibitively expensive).

The real question is, how old is Mike and how long will he stay in the game?

Like the orchestra players in most US cities (there are a few exceptions like Seattle I believe), those in Chicago are part of the AFM just like LA and New York, so I wouldn't think Lincoln would be any different from scores recorded at either of those places: https://cfm10208.com/

Yavar

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

The biggest loss is Tintin, not only because Williams effectively scored that film twice (and we only have a fragment on the OST) but it's a Sony score as well. Talk about a kick in the teeth!

JW scored it twice, really!?

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes and no.  He scored a handful of scenes in 2009/2010 (recorded early 2010), then Spielberg continued to cut the whole film together, and many of the scenes he had already scored were now different lengths, different configurations, gone entirely, or whatever.  So in 2011 he not only scored for the first time all the scenes he had never scored in 2009/2010, he also recorded a slew of inserts, revisions, extensions, and replacements to those original cues.  They were all performed by the same musicians in the same venue with the same recording team, and no entire themes disappeared or were replaced or anything, but yea, a bunch of scenes in the final film have a whole other earlier version sitting in a vault.

He also wrote 2 entirely different Main Title cues before settling on the jazzy final one (which itself went through a revision)

It is a tragedy that this music will perhaps never be released!