What piece of film music you would love to see in a live performance?

Edmilson

Have you ever listened to a piece of film music so good, but so good, that you would love to see it performed live, with full orchestra and choir, maybe conducted by the composer himself? Tell us here what they are!

Here's my choices:

Alan Silvestri - Main on Ends (Avengers: Endgame)

Alan was on Hollywood on Viena on 2011, months before the release of the first Avengers, so we never got to see his theme performed live... specially with him conducting.

James Newton Howard - End Titles from Fantastic Beasts 1 and 2

James Horner - Tania - Enemy at the Gates

OMG, I love this piece so much, I would love to see it live... But the movie bombed and this is a less famous entry in Horner's career, so... :(

Thomas Newman - Whisper of a Thrill - Meet Joe Black

Also from Newman - End Title - Shawshank Redemption

Almost every famous film music composer have done a concert with his work at some point on their careers, including members of Thomas' family... But he never did it. I know that in his case it's not just put an orchestra there and perform, since he loves using electronic textures and unusual instruments... But why not try it?

Basically anything I haven't heard a million times before. As far as Williams goes, I'd die and go to heaven if there was a concert with only his obscure scores -- like a whole concert dedicated to his jazzy 60s comedy stuff!

Oh, and I'd love to see a lot of Zimmer's more electronic scores performed on-stage, performed with the instruments of the original recordings.

8 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

John Williams - Victory Celebration from Return of the Jedi

Why that one?

18 minutes ago, Gnome in Plaid said:

Also, it would be incredible to see the Kronos Quartet and Mogwai perform The Fountain together.

I was just going to say that!

Then I'll say Tron Legacy instead, performed by an orchestra and those frenchies.

51 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Honestly any score that I like would be cool to see live. Only one cue jumps to mind, though, that would be particularly noteworthy.

That's not particularly rare, though. I've seen Morricone live twice, and he's played it on both occasions. It's a 'standard' in his programme, and quite a few other concerts not conducted by Morricone too. So you should have few problems getting the opportunity for this.

On 10/3/2019 at 7:04 PM, Thor said:

Basically anything I haven't heard a million times before. As far as Williams goes, I'd die and go to heaven if there was a concert with only his obscure scores -- like a whole concert dedicated to his jazzy 60s comedy stuff!

This would be my choice, but I'd switch out all of the obscure older stuff and instead have it be a program of setpiece cues and other secondary pieces which Williams never performs in concerts.

4 hours ago, Thor said:

That's not particularly rare, though. I've seen Morricone live twice, and he's played it on both occasions. It's a 'standard' in his programme, and quite a few other concerts not conducted by Morricone too. So you should have few problems getting the opportunity for this.

Morricone literally never comes to the States. And he’s done touring at this point anyway. He was scheduled a few years ago to hit New York and LA but cancelled due to health reasons. 

37 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm sure that it's been posted somewhere on JWfan, but...I've just watched a blistering live version of THE FINAL CONFLICT.

To see/hear that performed, in, say, the R.A.H., with full chorus, would be...overwhelming.

Is the film any good?

To hear the full score of Heat performed live would be amazing (especially if the unused music was restored), but hearing the ending in concert would be...well...the word "sublime" wouldn't do it justice. Starting at 1:20; could you imagine hearing that steel cello and snarling brass live? (Spoilers obviously.) 

Less of a priority for me but no less spectacular would be hearing this performed live: 

I can't limit it to one cue, nor is it an orchestral score, but I'm itching to see Blade Runner performed live here in the States; and hopefully in proper pitch!

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Morricone literally never comes to the States. And he’s done touring at this point anyway. He was scheduled a few years ago to hit New York and LA but cancelled due to health reasons. 

That's true. The likelihood of you being able to see Morricone live at this point is slim, to say the least. But the likelihood of seeing and hearing "Ecstasy of Gold" performed in a concert near you is far, far higher.

46 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

To hear the full score of Heat performed live would be amazing

I would not be interested in a film concert of HEAT, but I'd definitely like to hear suites or segments of it performed live.

Less of a priority for me but no less spectacular would be hearing this performed live: 

I've actually heard ALIEN 3 performed live, with the composer present, and it was amazing. Just to rub it in.

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

What?

Not the film, but the track that is, in effect, the END TITLE.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Is the film any good?

IMO, it's better than DAMIEN. It has a solid performance, from Neill, lush photography, and sly humour. It's a brave film, in that it depicts the defeat of the Antichrist, and the return of Jesus. Any film that dares to nail its colours to the mast like that, is to be admired, even if one doesn't like it.

The score speaks for itself.

Really? Not live to TV?

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm pretty sure @Richard's referring to Handel's GLORIA, which he's praised in the classical thread, not the Monsignor one.

There's a plethora of great Glorias. The most famous one might be Mozart's from his Coronation Mass.

On 10/5/2019 at 5:08 AM, Koray Savas said:

Honestly any score that I like would be cool to see live. Only one cue jumps to mind, though, that would be particularly noteworthy.

How about this version?

On 10/6/2019 at 8:08 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I'm pretty sure @Richard's referring to Handel's GLORIA, which he's praised in the classical thread, not the Monsignor one.

I've not heard Handel's GLORIA, but I've sung MESSIAH.

@Jay is right: I do mean the GLORIA, from MONSIGNOR.

Could anybody lend me $2000? :D

On 10/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, Jay said:

The Hunt from The Lost World

Jon Broxton said on his review of Temple of Doom (here) that the music of this movie is "virtually never played in concert", and I kept thinking: Williams concerts almost never perfom music from his sequels, aside from the Star Wars ones (Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Across the Stars, etc). I don't think the music from stuff like ToD, TLC, TLW, CoS, etc, are that common on concerts.

So, why not a thematic concert: The (non-Star Wars) sequel scores from John Williams! I can imagine the programe:

-End Credits from Jaws 2

-Short Round's Theme/ Slave Children’s Crusade/ The Mine Car Chase from Temple of Doom

-Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra/ Keeping Up With the Joneses/ The Keeper of the Grail from The Last Crusade

-The Hunt/ The Lost World from The Lost World

-Fawkes the Phoenix/ The Chamber of Secrets/ Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

-Aunt Marge's Waltz/ A Window to the Past/ Buckbeak's Flight/ Double Trouble from Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban