MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Woo hoo!  Exclusive tracklist on JWFAN on Tuesday, Oct. 15th!

Sweet!

Looking forward to hearing the full score in properly mixed final form on this new release.

50 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Even Harry Potter was a delight.

However, nothing was as trans-formative and special an experience as hearing Superman remastered, I mean it's incredible and a true testament to the work of everyone involved, MM especially. If this treatment can given to Superman, it gives me hope Star Wars and Indiana Jones will one day follow and that will be an amazing day!

Agree wholeheartedly on this. Even though SUPERMAN 3CD release is ideal in its new configuration; we are already aware and familiar with the previous expansions and now its just the high quality definition along with the OST program added as a bonus. Its not a profound new experience as we are already way familiar with the majority of the presentation and program. Same would be with the STAR WARS classic scores albeit with high quality sound and proper remastering. Although Id welcome a proper cue by cue presentation rather than whole sections or suites that was done in the Special Edition sets. 

6 hours ago, Arpy said:

Even Harry Potter was a delight.

However, nothing was as transformative and special an experience as hearing Superman remastered, I mean it's incredible and a true testament to the work of everyone involved, MM especially. If this treatment can be given to Superman, it gives me hope Star Wars and Indiana Jones will one day follow and that will be an amazing day!

If Star Wars (or IJ) are going to get this treatment, it needs to happen now. We can’t wait another 10 or however many years. Star Wars is a strong property again, JW is active in that musical universe, MM and his team are in top form, the demastering project generated the high quality scans MM will need, and there is allegedly still one or two facilities on the planet that can produce compact discs. This confluence won’t last forever. 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

It is interesting how every project is different, not just in the amount or (compositional) quality of previously unreleased music, but the sound upgrade possibilities as well.  Sometimes expansions come out and they sound the same or maybe slightly different than the OST albums we've loved for years.  Sometimes Mike works his magic on old elements that have been in a vault somewhere for decades and you hear music you love in a way you never thought or knew would be possible. 

Completely remixing from scratch CE3K and Superman from original multi tracks was amazing.  What he did with Jaws is legendary.  Properly presenting The Cowboys and Dracula and ET for the first time was fantastic.

It's another thing to get excited about whenever a new title is announced

Yeap. I am so glad Mike is now doing all these JW expansions.

I wonder if LLL will have copies on hand to begin shipping on the 17th or if they will still be at the plant

On 10/8/2019 at 6:35 AM, crumbs said:

I rewatched the film when it was remastered in 4K and I really think it's one of Spielberg's best in the last few decades.

It's in 4k now?

Minority Report was one of my first Blu-rays.  Great stylised picture quality! 

In 2010 the film was remastered in 4K, and the BD was made from that master.  I don't think there's actually a way to view in in 4K anywhere yet.

I was listening to the original album last night and suddenly I realised how muffled and low the sound is, especially considering the wonderful remasters and expanded editions we got over the years. I can't wait to get my hands on this.

(and the movie really holds up as well)

Can't wait for this release! Used a lot of tracks from the OST in the silly home-made action/thriller movies I used to shoot with my friends back in the early 2000s.
The weird time signature of the motif in the Creating the Red Balls cue gets me everytime: what is it, a 3/4 and a 11/8 bar? A long 20/8 bar? I have no idea, but it's great stuff.

27 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Strangely enough I used PreCrime to the Rescue in one of my equally silly home 'thriller' movies from the same sort of time period.

That's great! One of my favorites was actually The Greenhouse Effect, but I obviously also went for the classic action-packed cues:
shaky handheld miniDV camcorder, night-vision, guns and punches... those were the days. It doesn't get more 2004 than this.

Mine was a sort of Blair Witch rip-of in the middle of some woods. Shaky, analog video back then (2002 I think) and B/W in parts to give it a 'look'. Now it looks beyond shit, especially given that all the vacation stuff I film now is gimbal-stabilized HD. Oh how times change :)

19 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Mine was a sort of Blair Witch rip-of in the middle of some woods. Shaky, analog video back then (2002 I think) and B/W in parts to give it a 'look'. Now it looks beyond shit, especially given that all the vacation stuff I film now is gimbal-stabilized HD. Oh how times change :)

I too have abandoned those SD tapes a while ago, but rewatching these hilariously choreographed scenes is still a ton of fun. 
Sometimes, the sloppier the better (I guess):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aS0ULf3nQ_ZmyKk9OweOp9dyhHn8Y6Dd/view?usp=sharing

3 hours ago, redishere said:

The weird time signature of the motif in the Creating the Red Balls cue gets me everytime: what is it, a 3/4 and a 11/8 bar? A long 20/8 bar? I have no idea, but it's great stuff.

It's always 20 beats but the subdivision of those varies - 9/8, 6/8, 5/8 in this particular cue.

11 minutes ago, Jim Ware said:

It's always 20 beats but the subdivision of those varies - 9/8, 6/8, 5/8 in this particular cue.

Gorgeous motif. It's so hypnotic! 
Thanks!

3 hours ago, redishere said:

I too have abandoned those SD tapes a while ago, but rewatching these hilariously choreographed scenes is still a ton of fun. 
Sometimes, the sloppier the better (I guess):

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aS0ULf3nQ_ZmyKk9OweOp9dyhHn8Y6Dd/view?usp=sharing

Y'all felt real badass with those moves, didn't ya? ;)

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Y'all felt real badass with those moves, didn't ya? ;)

Damn right we did!

Well I was behind the camera so I didn’t do anything badass 😂

Just finished watching the film for the second time, which is really my first proper viewing :D I now understand the context of the score after having spent what feels like years guessing the scenes based on the music alone and there's a bunch of music I can't wait to get into on this set. 

It's nice to hear how much residual DNA is transferred between this, Catch Me If You Can, Chamber of Secrets and Attack of the Clones - ostinato figures, synth choirs, synth beats etc. One thing I'm bummed about is how sparingly Williams uses Sean's Theme throughout the film and how much I'd like to hear an arrangement of it for Anne-Sophie Mutter! 

36 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It's nice to hear how much residual DNA is transferred between this, Catch Me If You Can, Chamber of Secrets and Attack of the Clones - ostinato figures, synth choirs, synth beats etc. One thing I'm bummed about is how sparingly Williams uses Sean's Theme throughout the film and how much I'd like to hear an arrangement of it for Anne-Sophie Mutter! 

He was clearly trying to be emotionally restrained for the film noir aspect of the movie and used Sean's material sparingly and in very ethereal guise most of the time, almost like a faded memory and not in full-blown emotional statements. Even Sean's Theme on the OST which is actually an alternate for A New Beginning presents the theme in melancholic and restrained terms even though it must be its most expansive development. This is what I would think matches Spielberg's liner notes mentioning how this score is in black-and-white, emotionally and melodically a bit more detached but when the emotional comes it is all the stronger for it.

Well that looks just about as perfect presentation as it can get. It even has the Pre-Crime Commercial source music. :) 

Interestingly they kept some of the lengthy sequences comprised of two cues like Pre-Crime to the Rescue separate instead of editing them together. Even Anderton's Great Escape which Williams combined on the OST is now in two parts with the added Don't Run John at the beginning of the track titled Anderton Escapes.

At first glance, most of the score looks accounted for. Seems like a) 2m2 Agatha Springs Forward and 2m4a Containment Center were combined to make Agatha And The Containment Center, while 2m3 Witwer Snooping was relegated to Suspicion; and b) 3m3 Don't Run John was combined with 3m4 Anderton's Escape to make Anderton Escapes (hopefully they weren't crossfaded).

I wonder what Images Of Sean is, though. It apparently lasts 3:52, but the film version of 1m9 Image Of Sean lasts 2:42, and so does the alternate cue; large portions of both were combined on the OST track "Sean and Lara".

Happy to see that Pre-Crime Commercial was included. Can't wait to order this set!

I didn't really like the movie or the soundtrack at first, but I watched it again this weekend and it was really great, much better than I remembered it.

I am definitely buying now, it will look amazing under the Christmas tree.

Agreed! This looks great.

Interestingly, a remastered original soundtrack album is not included. I don't mind that - the original release seems fine to me. I wonder though if the decision was based on keeping this to 2 discs.

If we look back to the recent releases, it seems 50/50 on inclusion. (I am not being very scientific about which albums I am picking.)

With original album (or as mainly the remastered album + additional tracks)

Dracula

Superman The Movie

Schindler's List

Saving Private Ryan

The Fury

Jaws

Jaws 2

Monsignor

Without

Minority Report

Harry Potter trilogy
Superman II/III

Superman IV (no original album existed)

Empire of the Sun

A.I.
Close Encounters

The Cowboys

Usually an OST has good reason to be included. Dracula's is in better shape than the score tape and features different mixes (Night Journeys with choir!), Superman's has never been available on CD in the US, Schindler is a special case, SPR was pretty much complete already and wasn't worth the extra effort (I don't just mean making a program but buying OST cues back and licensing things), Jaws and Fury are completely different recordings, Monsignor has significant mix differences and it all fit on one disc anyway, etc.

Now for the others, most of them just feature combinations of other cues that don't even always work very well, JW didn't even have anything to do with The Cowboys OST if I remember correctly, etc. They would literally be nothing but a repeat of material already in the film score program or bonus section (usually arranged worse, too) and thus are not worth the effort or price hike.