MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

3 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Spielberg must have seen an early cut of Attack of the Clones at Skywalker Ranch, he liked the conveyor belt scene and thought "You know, I could do a setpiece like that on my next sci-fi action movie!".

I think it's just a Hitchcock reference.

Wow, the track list has more music than I thought there would be!  Looks like this will make the leaked sessions obsolete?  Will definitely be ordering this on Friday!

7 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh.  I miss this when proofreading.  It says "conveyer" on the back cover, and "conveyor" in Jeff's liner notes. Damn!  Every release has one thing that slips by everyone!

Haha, poor you. The tracklist is hardly up and they're already pointing out mistakes.

I can't really feel bad about something that dozens of eyes saw and all missed.  And maybe somebody else caught it after my proofread pass, before it went to the printers.  We'll see!

It's the music that matters anyway

7 hours ago, Josh500 said:

Lamar tells Anderton, "Come in and give yourself up!" to which Anderton responds, "To hell with that, Everybody Runs!" (or something very similar to this effect). 

Relax, Josh, I don't hear a red ball.

"You can't run, John".

"Everybody runs".

"Oh my gosh! Are you ok?"

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Huh.  I miss this when proofreading.  It says "conveyer" on the back cover, and "conveyor" in Jeff's liner notes. Damn!  Every release has one thing that slips by everyone!

Damn the release is ruined. Do you think they'll be  a second batch with the correct spelling?

I'm glad to see we're getting the full cue "Anderton in Halo," which includes the score for the deleted scene with Anderton imagining his son at 9 years old.

Spielberg has gotten very mysterious about deleted scenes, he never shares them anymore on his DVDs/Blu-Rays, so I wouldn't have been surprised to see this music held back, grateful to see it's included.

I can't think of any time any specialty label release omitted a cue just because the scene it was written for didn't make the final cut

This release looks spectacular. I've been waiting for it for nearly 20 years :)

I spent hours and hours and hours assembling a quasi-chronological version back in the day. And I spent even longer tracking down the exact film versions of all the source music (classical and pop music).

I could be wrong, but it looks like everything is there. Is anything missing?

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

I can't think of any time any specialty label release omitted a cue just because the scene it was written for didn't make the final cut

Spielberg seems to be unusually reticent with deleted material though.

Aside from CE3K and Hook, are there any other films where he has allowed deleted material out?

Empire of the Sun had massive amounts of deleted material, as did Schindler's List, none of which has been seen. And almost all his recent films have had deleted material that he has spoken about not wanting to make public.

Obviously most of that material was cut before Williams scored the films. Minority Report was fairly unusual, in that the scene was cut at the absolute last minute.

Actually, come to think of it though, I think the War of the Worlds commercial album had a cue that was from a deleted scene, similarly cut at the last minute.

37 minutes ago, jamesluckard said:

Aside from CE3K and Hook, are there any other films where he has allowed deleted material out?

IIRC the Indiana Jones documentary on the 2004 DVD box set has deleted scenes peppered throughout.

Plus there is extended cuts of 1941 and The Lost World, as well as deleted scenes on JAWS.

Actually, come to think of it though, I think the War of the Worlds commercial album had a cue that was from a deleted scene, similarly cut at the last minute.

I don't think so.  There is music for scenes that don't use the music in the final cut, but the scene is still there

49 minutes ago, Jay said:

IIRC the Indiana Jones documentary on the 2004 DVD box set has deleted scenes peppered throughout.

Plus there is extended cuts of 1941 and The Lost World, as well as deleted scenes on JAWS.

I don't think so.  There is music for scenes that don't use the music in the final cut, but the scene is still there

Ah, true, deleted scenes from his earliest films have popped up, but nothing from his films from Hook forward, as far as I know, except for 2 brief deleted scenes from The Lost World, I think, which got reinstated for network broadcast and are included on the DVD.

Hmm, I could have sworn at least one track on the WotW album was from a deleted scene, but it's been ages since I looked.

41 minutes ago, jamesluckard said:

Hmm, I could have sworn at least one track on the WotW album was from a deleted scene, but it's been ages since I looked.

There was some conjecture about this. WOTW did have a substantial deleted scene involving Ray and the 2 kids hiding near a car while a Tripod rummaged through homes nearby. It was cut because the VFX weren't finished in time (but some shots were used in trailers).

https://fromdirectorstevenspielberg.tumblr.com/post/105795976220/there-are-a-number-of-scenes-in-war-of-the-worlds

I'm pretty sure the Attack on the Car cue was intended for the music-less scene in the film though (and it works far better without music).

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There was some conjecture about this. WOTW did have a substantial deleted scene involving Ray and the 2 kids hiding near a car while a Tripod rummaged through homes nearby. It was cut because the VFX weren't finished in time (but some shots were used in trailers).

https://fromdirectorstevenspielberg.tumblr.com/post/105795976220/there-are-a-number-of-scenes-in-war-of-the-worlds

I'm pretty sure the Attack on the Car cue was intended for the music-less scene in the film though (and it works far better without music).

Yep, that was the one I was thinking about. Which music-less scene do you think that cue was intended for? Since the film probably wasn't recut all that much, it should match up, right?

4 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

The cue that starts at 0:05... That's what I'm looking forward to the most, I think. 

Wow, that clip is bizarre, it seems to be from a PAL source, it's sped up.

I saw the film 6 or 8 times in theaters and have watched it a bunch of times since, so the difference hit me in about a second. :)

Great cue though. The whole score is one of Williams's most vibrant of the 2000s, so varied and so aware of the needs of the film.

The cue that starts at 0:05... That's what I'm looking forward to the most, I think. 

I find this busy, unsettling, somewhat hysterical motif endlessly fascinating! 

Is that 1m6 Stopping The Crime?

Love that motif

30 minutes ago, jamesluckard said:

Yep, that was the one I was thinking about. Which music-less scene do you think that cue was intended for? Since the film probably wasn't recut all that much, it should match up, right?

The scene in the pouring rain where the huge mob of people start attack Ray and the kids while they're in the car. I think this lines up with the session leak and cue list too, so that's pretty definitive.

Spielberg wisely chose to remove the music because it doesn't fit well at all, IMO.

13 minutes ago, crumbs said:

The scene in the pouring rain where the huge mob of people start attack Ray and the kids while they're in the car. I think this lines up with the session leak and cue list too, so that's pretty definitive.

Spielberg wisely chose to remove the music because it doesn't fit well at all, IMO.

Thanks! I'll have to check out that scene.

I found a rip of the DVD rear channel audio ages ago, but never the sessions or the cue list. Is the cue list up here?

The WOTW cue you guys are taking about is 3mME Attacking The Car, which was on the OST as track 9 The Attack On The Car, and was certainly written for mob car scene in the final film, not the tripod car scene that got deleted.

18 hours ago, jamesluckard said:

Thanks! I'll have to check out that scene.

I found a rip of the DVD rear channel audio ages ago, but never the sessions or the cue list. Is the cue list up here?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1QtG5OuCLOrQj4iYNUEBgIU81gH2q2USCDhqLQwzHLKY/

19 hours ago, Josh500 said:

I find this busy, unsettling, somewhat hysterical motif endlessly fascinating! 

That's 1M6 Stopping The Crime, which had always been available on the OST as the first cue in track 3 Pre-Crime To The Rescue 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

That's 1M6 Stopping The Crime, which had always been available on the OST as the first cue in track 3 Pre-Crime To The Rescue 

Indeed it has been. For some reason I always assumed only parts of it made it on the OST, not the whole thing.... 

Listening to it now! :music:

20 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Indeed it has been. For some reason I always assumed only parts of it made it on the OST, not the whole thing.... 

Listening to it now! :music:

You are correct, Williams microedited the cue for the OST. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W2d-EKyPkj_zcXX_xAgFI7JEW_seQSFkAAsgfGSJiVU/

28 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Proper speed!

Rewatching this now, and it strikes me once again how incredibly talented Spielberg is. This scene is incredibly well imagined, visualized, and shot. 

The score is of course what puts it over the top. 

20 minutes ago, Jay said:

You are correct, Williams microedited the cue for the OST. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W2d-EKyPkj_zcXX_xAgFI7JEW_seQSFkAAsgfGSJiVU/

Yes. "Pre-Crime to the Rescue" on the OST runs 5:48, whereas the two tracks "Pre-Crime to the Rescue" Part I and II on the new LLL edition run 8:22 altogether... So there must be some new (meaning previously unavailable) music included on the latter. 

I wonder why this piece has been split up in two parts, though. Can't say for certain without listening to the new album, but I generally prefer cues like these to be included in or combined into one long track.... Even if there is a pause in the movie between them!

I find that Pre-Crime to the Rescue is a textbook case in effective suspense writing. The slow build-up which seamlessly catches the on-screen action and intercutting while also constantly ticking forward inexorably and intensifying to an almost desperate fervor and finally exploding in its culmination is just breathtaking. One of the highlights of the score to be sure.

It's 8 straight minutes of awesome and it's a shame Williams saw fit to edit it down for the OST. It would have been nice to have gotten a lengthy track like that on an OST again around that time. 

It occurred to me that MR has probably one of the best assembled OST albums. Seemingly every highlight is on it! Can't think of a single memorable cue NOT on the OST album (except source music, of course, which wasn't penned by JW anyway)! 

13 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

It occurred to me that MR has probably one of the best assembled OST albums. Seemingly every highlight is on it! Can't think of a single memorable cue NOT on the OST album (except source music, of course, which wasn't penned by JW anyway)! 

I too was pretty happy with the OST.
The only things I wish it contained were 2m1 Presenting the Precogs (especially the celesta – I think) and the extended harpsichord part of The Greenhouse Effect

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more, I think it's very poorly arranged and constructed OST album, missing highlights, poor musical flow, with all the action material appearing early and the final 20 minutes of the album being a huge slog.  The complete score we've been able to listen to since the session leak is a huge, huge improvement

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more, I think it's very poorly arranged and constructed OST album, missing highlights, poor musical flow, with all the action material appearing early and the final 20 minutes of the album being a huge slog.  The complete score we've been able to listen to since the session leak is a huge, huge improvement

Well, there opinions differ. I think it's pretty well assembled. Which isn't to say, of course, that the complete release won't be better. For an OST album, in my opinion, it's pretty solid. 

But what are some of the highlights for you that DIDN'T make it onto the OST album? 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, I couldn't disagree with you more, I think it's very poorly arranged and constructed OST album, missing highlights, poor musical flow, with all the action material appearing early and the final 20 minutes of the album being a huge slog.

Huh. I rewatched the movie and listened to the OST for the first time and this is exactly what made me decide to try a test round or two with this set before buying it.

8 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

Well, there opinions differ. I think it's pretty well assembled. Which isn't to say, of course, that the complete release won't be better. For an OST album, in my opinion, it's pretty solid. 

But what are some of the highlights for you that DIDN'T make it onto the OST album? 

Creating The Red Balls, all the stuff removed from Stopping The Crime (Pre-Crime to The Rescue), Presenting The Pre Cogs, and Don't Run John.

6 minutes ago, Holko said:

Huh. I rewatched the movie and listened to the OST for the first time and this is exactly what made me decide to try a test round or two with this set before jumping in.

The first 10 tracks / 45 minutes of the album are a pretty nice, sort of traditional JW OST album where bounces around between various highlights, covers all the themes, good flow, action music spread out evenly among that area... then the final 6 tracks / 30 minutes are all downers and make the whole OST album just drag to an end.  The final track is a bit uplifting of course, but the fact it's literally the same music we already heard in track #1 kills it.

Even just arranging the OST album into chronological order is a huge benefit, but listening to the entire 100 minute score instead of an arrangement of edited highlights is very much worth it for this score IMO.

Very excited for this! I love the way this score flows in complete form. Sean's Theme has always been one of Williams' most beautiful and haunting melodies for me and I enjoy the low brooding sounds of this score. 

I wonder if there were any thoughts to try and stick the Dreamworks Logo onto this release...I hope that a future release of some sort can have that logo music added on. It would be cool to have it without the splash sfx. 

6 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

I wonder if there were any thoughts to try and stick the Dreamworks Logo onto this release

I just realized that music was composed by JW.
Silly me :D

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why this release?  Was it re-recorded at the MR sessions?  It debuted in the 90s

Ah yeah, definitely makes more sense to be something closer to when it was recorded!

Any other thoughts on the track list?

I guess there's not much left to talk about until the samples go up in 20 minutes less than 24 hours from now.

17 hours ago, Incanus said:

I find that Pre-Crime to the Rescue is a textbook case in effective suspense writing. The slow build-up which seamlessly catches the on-screen action and intercutting while also constantly ticking forward inexorably and intensifying to an almost desperate fervor and finally exploding in its culmination is just breathtaking. One of the highlights of the score to be sure.

I always liked this piece and I liked the film sequence as well. In fact it sort of made me wish Williams used to the "Pre-Crime" theme more extensively in the film.

Karol

I guess when you think about it, there's isn't that many scenes it would have been appropriate to use the Pre-Crime theme.  However, it certainly is AWESOME when it shows up in "Don't Run John", twisted into a ominous version instead of heroic since now Pre-Crime is chasing our protagonist!