MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

While the main liner notes are by Jeff Bond, there is a "technical note" page written by Mike that explains the process

Like Harry Potter 1, the score was recorded simultaneously to digital and analog, but the digital was only at 44.1khz.  So also like Harry Potter 1, he had the analog tapes pulled and used fresh transfers of those.  Everything is sourced from that, all performance edits re-created by him, all sequenced and mastered by him in 192/24.

holy shit!   My god it HAS to sound incredible

7 minutes ago, Demondm810 said:

holy shit!   My god it HAS to sound incredible

Judging by the samples through my headphones I would say 100% YES!  :)  Will definitely be purchasing this tomorrow (pay day).

16 hours ago, Amer said:

I'm just curious is Matessino shying away from his essay /notes this time around? Jeff Bond is another great writer though.... 

He did say in a previous podcast (don't remember which one) that he doesn't like / care to write liner notes.

I'm glad it says "NOW SHIPPING" and not "SHIPPING WEEK OF___"

People who live nearby could go get it at their office in Burbank today, I imagine.  Even those of us on the East Coast should have it by Monday

I was in a meeting that ran way late!  Ordered only just now (along with Bride of Frankenstein and Monster Squad). Order #186715

My ginormous discounted gift certificate is now, finally, officially depleted.  Pour one out y'all.

You know what's funny, when I first told Mike how amazing I thought it sounded, he was very modest and tried to downplay that he had done much.  I'm glad you all agree with me that it sounds way better!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

You know what's funny, when I first told Mike how amazing I thought it sounded, he was very modest and tried to downplay that he had done much.  I'm glad you all agree with me that it sounds way better!

Yes!  It's not like night and day, but there is definitely more depth, it sounds fuller to my ears.  Even comparing compressed formats.

Just compare this:

(3:29)

To this:

https://johndadlez.com/MP3/MinorityReport/D1_T24_LC_TC.mp3

The OST mix is noticeably thinner sounding to me, especially in the very loud parts toward the end of the segment.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

People who live nearby could go get it at their office in Burbank today, I imagine.  Even those of us on the East Coast should have it by Monday

Is that right? I tried to do this for HP but they told me the units were shipping from a warehouse somewhere. (I was in LA that week.)

Hoping mine goes out today and makes it to Kirkland WA by Saturday in any case!

People have posted stories before of picking things up at their office on release day ( @Gruesome Son of a Bitch did it with the JP box set IIRC) but I don't know if it's necessarily always an option or anything.  I've been to their office a handful of times, but never on a new release day

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Maybe not night and day but wow as soon as I turned on the clips I was hit by how much "deeper" the sound was... if that makes sense! 

Makes total sense yes.  The session leak was too dry and super compressed, the OST was mastered kinda weird, the new mix is perfect

I usually have had to wait until several days after folks in the EU got their LLL orders before mine arrived. I mean, that’s fantastic for them and speaks well to the efficiency of the postal services on two continents, but I live in the same freakin’ state as LLL!

But this time, I ordered within two minutes of the noon hour, so I feel good about my chances of seeing something in my mailbox by next week. 👍🏻

Ordered, 186473. 

Wow, I just listened to the first sample and yes...sounds fantastic! Separation of instruments is great, has a real punch to it, wonderful clarity and as others have said, the 'space' sounds much better. Sounds more like I'm in a room with an orchestra in front of me. 

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

BTW how sweet is that segue from Don't Run John into Anderton's Escape in the Anderton Escapes sample?

AWESOME! The samples sound incredible. I definitely notice that the Maestro's music has been remastered compared with the original soundtrack album.

To all of you who are noticing a big improvement from OST to LLL for this release, did you notice a similar difference with A.I. Artificial Intelligence too, or no?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

To all of you who are noticing a big improvement from OST to LLL for this release, did you notice a similar difference with A.I. Artificial Intelligence too, or no?

Very slight improvement in the case of A.I. I didn't notice a big improvement there. 

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course; definitely noticed an improvement.

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

BTW how sweet is that segue from Don't Run John into Anderton's Escape in the Anderton Escapes sample?

I was struck more by the fact that the drums from the album were'nt there (obviously on the bonus tracks version)

The drum kit and electronics overlay wasn't in the film itself, so I'm glad its not the version used in the main program. And the bonus track version has more to it than meets the eye!

23 hours ago, Jay said:

The drum kit and electronics overlay wasn't in the film itself, so I'm glad its not the version used in the main program. And the bonus track version has more to it than meets the eye!

Actually, it was utilized in the film. I actually prefer the piece without the overlay; I like both versions though.

More to the alternate segment? I cannot wait to hear the whole piece!

I cannot wait to hear the whole score!

Is the track 'Minority Report' on disc 2 (which I assume if the same as the OST track) an edit of film cues or a separate recording specific for the end credits? I've never bothered to compare everything in the suite with the respective film cues.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

giphy (5).gif

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh it ain't even CLOSE.  And this is just streaming samples.  The clarity of the woodwinds and strings on Anderton Escapes is wild.  

4 hours ago, Jay said:

The drum kit and electronics overlay wasn't in the film itself, so I'm glad its not the version used in the main program.

Having not seen the film in so long, I wasn't aware. Wasn't a big fan of the obviously electronic percussion, whatever the point of it was. I'll be glad to have the fixed impression I've had of the score for so long based on a not great OST presentation be corrected. Samples sound great, can't wait for my set which has now shipped.

I think the overlay is a bit over the top too, and I think Spielberg was wise to not use it in the film. 

It's fun on its own as kind of an spruced up album experience though. Like I'd put that version on a compilation of Williams action tracks. 

The samples are very good! Obviously with Matessino it's going to sound amazing. I was very, very pleased with A.I. It sounded more fuller with depth and the solo vocals recorded at Royce Hall sounded incredible on that recording. I only got around to listen to A.I. this year even though I had bought it the same month of its release. The new presentation, arrangement has a wonderful narrative flow to it and as listening experience it was quite riveting.The sound quality on that was a massive improvement over the original cd and even the DVD-Audio edition.

I'am sure with MR it would be similar. Looking forward to this grand release in coming weeks.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

It's fun on its own as kind of an spruced up album experience though. Like I'd put that version on a compilation of Williams action tracks.

Yeah, I was thinking I'd keep the OST at least for that.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Small correction: percussion is heard in the film