MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

What difference does that make?

I'd hate for it to be OOP by the end of the year. I already ordered my copy, sure, but I always get slightly bummed out when a limited edition JW album sells out.... 

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I had no idea it sold out!

Karol

On 4/30/2019 at 3:25 PM, ATXHusker said:

On 5/1/2019 at 6:12 PM, ATXHusker said:

On 5/3/2019 at 4:05 PM, Space Pineapple Prod. said:

It's off the website now.

Well I've got it anyway. I tend to buy Williams the day they come out. Not taking chances.

Anyway... MR works so much better in expanded form. I like the themes and stylistic seem to recur more throughout the score which makes for a more appealing listening experience. Sure, there are so cues that don't make great listening on any album, due to their suspenseful low-key nature, but the score feels more cohesive somehow. The sound is greatly improved too. It is not a Bruce Botnick recording but definitely has more clarity and warmth which was muddy and flat on the OST. It's a definite improvement.

Now... when is the film going to come out on 4K Blu-ray? :)

Karol

2 minutes ago, crocodile said:

MR works so much better in expanded form. I like the themes and stylistic seem to recur more throughout the score which makes for a more appealing listening experience. Sure, there are so cues that don't make great listening on any album, due to their suspenseful low-key nature, but the score feels more cohesive somehow. The sound is greatly improved too. It is not a Bruce Botnick recording but definitely has more clarity and warmth which was muddy and flat on the OST. It's a definite improvement.

I agree with mr crocodile

54 minutes ago, Holko said:

E.T. took about the same time.

53 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I had no idea it sold out!

Well technically you can still buy the double-LP edition ;) 

https://lalalandrecords.com/e-t-the-extra-terrestrial-limited-edition-vinyl-2xlp/

8 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well technically you can still buy the double-LP edition ;) 

57 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

It's still available*.

*on LP. :D

My copy came in last night, haven't had time to listen though. 

I read through the booklet. Very nice liner notes going through each of the themes and which tracks they appear in! I love reading Mike's technical notes on the releases he works on. I'd read a whole booklet just on that kind of stuff. 

Realy excited to start listening tonight. 

11 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not to mention before all that he attended the Oscar ceremony where both AI and HP1 were nominated! 

Yes!  I should have included here that he was a double nominee at the very ceremony he served as musical director.  That year is like sophie's choice.  LOTR vs Potter vs AI

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

4. Musical director at the Academy Awards

3 hours ago, Josh500 said:

In the booklet... Special thanks to everyone at Pre-Crime! Wth. 

:D

Pre-crime = Proofreading I guess?

6 hours ago, Jay said:

There hasn't been a film score specialty label CD that sold out in less than a year for like, a decade

The LLL Friday the 13th set released in early 2012 sold out in less than 24 hours.

2 hours ago, hornist said:

I would definitely say that the compositional quality in 2002 was very very high. Probably his best year ever. 

I too was struck by the 2002 list of credits/activities in the booklet, as I recalled all the films but did not connect the Olympics and other works. (I remember watching that ceremony live just to see Williams conduct - and then was thrilled when the 1980 Hockey Team lit the torch.) Also remember that he orchestrated Escapades into a very successful, and lasting concert work that year too. Truly incredible.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Reading through the liner notes, it truly is amazing seeing it laid out how much Williams did in 2002, at the age of 70.

1. Attack of the Clones

2. Winter Olympics theme + conducting at the opening ceremony in Utah

3. Minority Report

4. Musical director at the Academy Awards

5. Premiered the first of its kind LTP performance of ET

6. Chamber of Secrets

7. Catch Me If You Can

It's even more amazing what he did in 2005, at the age of 73! 

I love the subtle details in this score, and the re-mastered sound helps them to be fully appreciated. There are a lot of details to pick out in the dark and low texture of the two Pre-Crime to the Rescue cues. 

Images Of Sean is beautiful, I love the oboe solo. 

The unused Collage cue is really interesting.

I don't have my OST around, but are the female vocals mixed in quieter on this release? I felt like the vocals blended more with the orchestra, rather than sitting on top. 

Both versions of the Collage cue are fascinating to me because as independent pieces they are extremely interesting to listen to, but in terms of their role in the narrative I have no idea what they were supposed to be used for.  Someone needs to try syncing each to the film during the Schubert sequence so we can try to figure out how they would have worked

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Both versions of the Collage cue are fascinating to me because as independent pieces they are extremely interesting to listen to, but in terms of their role in the narrative I have no idea what they were supposed to be used for.  Someone needs to try syncing each to the film during the Schubert sequence so we can try to figure out how they would have worked

I haven't even listened to the Alternate yet. 

It would be great to know more about what was intended with these. I'm sure someone will get to it before me, but I will try to sync them up. 

Just happy that La-La Land was able to reissue my two favorite Williams scores of this century! If The Patriot or JFK happen down the line, I'm open to at least revisiting them, but it's safe to say that I can finally cross off my list of JW grails

2 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Long overdue, but here it is, paired with its "brother" ;)

IMG_6325.jpg

LLL have nearly completed Williams' "running man" trilogy. Just one to go... and I'd bet it isn't far off (considering how much Williams loved doing that score).

Catch Me If You Can? War of the Worlds?

2 hours ago, crumbs said:

LLL have nearly completed Williams' "running man" trilogy. Just one to go... and I'd bet it isn't far off (considering how much Williams loved doing that score).

Just checked my tracking info and my copy was in LA yesterday and on its way to me now in Australia! Fast considering Potter spent around a week in customs with no explanation.

6 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

Just happy that La-La Land was able to reissue my two favorite Williams scores of this century! If The Patriot or JFK happen down the line, I'm open to at least revisiting them, but it's safe to say that I can finally cross off my list of JW grails

I'm still keeping fingers crossed for WOTW. But that's a 2005 score recorded in LA....

Karol

6 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

If The Patriot or JFK happen down the line, I'm open to at least revisiting them, but it's safe to say that I can finally cross off my list of JW grails

My new JW holy grails:

Star Wars prequels 

Star Wars sequels 

Indiana Jones 

JFK

War of the Worlds 

Born on the Fourth of July 

Nixon

The Patriot