MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

1 hour ago, Holko said:

Superman's has never been available on CD in the US

It has, minus two tracks.

1 hour ago, lairdo said:

Interestingly, a remastered original soundtrack album is not included.

Yeah! It's not a waste then that I recently acquired the OST CD album. :D

On 10/3/2019 at 8:58 PM, Jay said:

Blame me for any typos in the booklet!

13. The Conveyer Belt (4:16)

This is in the main page here... probably a transcript typo or It maybe an alternate (american eng.?) spelling of "Conveyor"...but i have seen many people writting "hanger" instead of "hangar" too...and that one is wrong sp...

BTW the presentation looks great, and super complete :)

2 hours ago, Arpy said:

I don't think we've had a recent Williams expansion (scores post 90s) where the OST was included with the program, have we?

Indeed. The Rosewood release did include the OST but that was entirely justifiable since it contained the Gospel vocal and choral pieces excluded from the orchestra only chronological film score programme on disc 1 as there was no room for them on it in any case. And that was a pre-2000's score.

Just now, crumbs said:

Looks superb! Pleasantly surprised Mike got the source music included (maybe its availability via the session leak was a factor?)

Now I can finally use the "official" version of the Pre-Crime Commercial as my phone's ringtone! :P 

No no nooo. I protest! Only the cool kids come here to mingle and talk about their favourite film scores.

50 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

You use the "official" version of the Pre-Crime Commercial as your phone's ringtone?

I'm not sure what you mean, by "official", JS, but since I've been using the PRE-CRIME COMMERCIAL as my ringtone, there hasn't been a single murder, in my house.

PRE-CRIME COMMERCIAL ringtone:

"IT WORKS!" 

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm not sure what you mean, by "official", JS, but since I've been using the PRE-CRIME COMMERCIAL as my ringtone, there hasn't been a single murder, in my house.

PRE-CRIME COMMERCIAL ringtone:

"IT WORKS!" 

Well there was a sessions leak a few years ago for this score so that was the source of the "unofficial" version. Now it is finally officially released on a commercial album.

This is a first day purchase for me. One of my favourite post-Schindler's List JW scores. You can really get lost in the dark futuristic paranoid world just by listening to the score. Absolutely can't wait! 

I hope the sound quality is (noticeably) improved as well! 

7 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

I wonder why they renamed "Everybody Runs" to "On the Run," though... 

The former, original title sounds much better! 

Perhaps, but the line itself in the film makes absolutely no sense.

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

Karol

No sense? Why? 

Lamar tells Anderton, "Come in and give yourself up!" to which Anderton responds, "To hell with that, Everybody Runs!" (or something very similar to this effect). 

And in the background, JW's frenetic action piece "Everybody Runs" is playing.... 

5 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

No sense? Why? 

Lamar tells Anderton, "Come in and give yourself up!" to which Anderton responds, "To hell with that, Everybody Runs!" (or something very similar to this effect). 

And in the background, JW's frenetic action piece "Everybody Runs" is playing.... 

Yeah, but why does he say that? 

Karol

Just now, crocodile said:

Karol

Pretty sure this line was in Philip K. Dick's short story. 

It means if you're innocent, you won't give yourself up easily, but will fight for your freedom and to clear your name! 

25 minutes ago, Josh500 said:

It's because the OST track "Everybody Runs" is a composite of 3M1 and 2M2, whereas the track "On The Run" on the new LLL contains only 3M1.

Due to all kinds of convoluted legal reasons arising from mechanical rights to scores, LLL cannot name a track the same title as an OST track unless the contents of that track are 100% identical to the OST version (hence they could not use the track title from the OST in this instance).

You might notice that anytime an OST track title is reused but the contents are different to the OST counterpart, its new title is always appended with "(Film Version)" or "(Extended Version)" because that's technically a different track title for rights purposes. The POA expansion is filled with such instances.

1 minute ago, Josh500 said:

Pretty sure this line was in Philip K. Dick's short story. 

It means if you're innocent, you won't give yourself up easily, but will fight for your freedom and to clear your name! 

Yes, I know what it means and why the screenwriters put it in there. But it just doesn't make sense to me for this specific character in this specific movie saying this. That's what I mean.

Karol

7 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Also, in the home video/hologram of his son Sean he watches earlier, Sean says "Gotta keep running!"

But also why doesn't it make sense?  He just means that no perp just gives up.  Now that he's a perp, he won't either.

13 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yes, I know what it means and why the screenwriters put it in there. But it just doesn't make sense to me for this specific character in this specific movie saying this. That's what I mean.

Karol

You're overthinking it. It's just a cool, catchy phrase that he said... 

It's like the Terminator saying, "Hasta la vista, baby!" He could just as well have said, "Good bye!" (which would have been not so cool and catchy). 

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Also, in the home video/hologram of his son Sean he watches earlier, Sean says "Gotta keep running!"

Indeed. There's the connection. 

Anderton is just listening to his lost son... 

14 minutes ago, crumbs said:

It's because the OST track "Everybody Runs" is a composite of 3M1 and 2M2, whereas the track "On The Run" on the new LLL contains only 3M1.

Due to all kinds of convoluted legal reasons arising from mechanical rights to scores, LLL cannot name a track the same title as an OST track unless the contents of that track are 100% identical to the OST version (hence they did not use the track title from the OST). You might notice that anytime an OST track title is reused but the contents are different to the OST counterpart, its new title is always appended with "(Film Version)" or "(Extended Version)" because that's technically a different track title for rights purposes.

Ah OK, then it makes sense. 

I didn't realize "On the Run" didn't include the exact same music as "Everybody Runs" on the OST album. 

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

But also why doesn't it make sense?  He just means that no perp just gives up.  Now that he's a perp, he won't either.

It just feels like he's trying to say the film's tagline. ;)

Karol

1 hour ago, Josh500 said:

"Everybody Runs" is an album title, for an album track that combines 3M1 Anderton On The Run (the scene with Anderton talking to Lamar in his car before it locks on him and he escapes on the highway) with 2M2 Agatha Springs Forward from earlier in the film (the scene where Agatha lunges out of the water at Anderton and says "Can you see?" and we see the Anne Lively murder for the first time)

Since the new album is in chronological order, those two cues are no longer combined together.  I suppose he could have titled first cue "Everybody Runs (Film Version"), but I think "On The Run" is a better title personally, especially since Williams himself titled it Anderton On The Run.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

"Everybody Runs" is an album title, for an album track that combines 3M1 Anderton On The Run (the scene with Anderton talking to Lamar in his car before it locks on him and he escapes on the highway) with 2M2 Agatha Springs Forward from earlier in the film (the scene where Agatha lunges out of the water at Anderton and says "Can you see?" and we see the Anne Lively murder for the first time)

Since the new album is in chronological order, those two cues are no longer combined together.  I suppose he could have titled first cue "Everybody Runs (Film Version"), but I think "On The Run" is a better title personally, especially since Williams himself titled it Anderton On The Run.

Makes sense. 

And yet, I've known and loved this piece for 17 years under the title "Everybody Runs"! I guess for me it'll always be known under this name - however, I'm very curious as to how the presentation of this score on the new LLL release will affect my view of it... Positively, I have no doubt, but in what interesting ways?

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Karol

I think it makes sense. Every murderer who knows of the pre-crime still tries to run and squirm and protest their innocence no matter how futile it is and so does Anderton. They haven't committed any crime yet and the natural instinct would be to escape.The difference is that Anderton knows he is being hunted for something he didn't yet do and decides to run instead of giving in.

Five tracks on the original OST album combined cues from different parts of the film together

OST track 2 "Can You See?" = 1M1 The Crime followed by 7M1 Run!!!

OST track 4 Sean and Laura = 1M9R Image Of Sean (Revised) followed by 1M9 Image Of Sean followed by 4M5 The Swimming Pool Scene

OST track 7 Eye-Dentiscan = 5M4 Saving The Eyeball followed by 6MA The Man In The Window followed by 2M6A Elevator Confrontation

OST track 8 Everybody Runs = 3M1 Anderton On The Run followed by 2M2 Agatha Springs Forward

OST track 12 Visions of Anne Lively = 5M8 Agatha Sees All with 2M5 Annie Lively inserted into the middle of it (an unusual practice that Williams rarely does on OSTs)

Four OST tracks combined two cues together, but the cues are sequential anyway

OST track 3 Pre-Crime To The Rescue = 1M6 Stopping The Crime followed by 1M6 Pt 2 Stopping The Crime

OST track 5 Spyders = 5M2 Robotic Spiders followed by 5M3 In The Tub

OST track 10 Anderton's Great Escape = 3M4 Anderton's Escape followed by 3M5 Conveyor Belt

OST track 15 Psychic Truth and Finale = 7M6 Confronting Lamar followed by 7M7 Thought Transference And Finale

Six OST tracks only have one cue in them

OST 1 Minority Report = 8M2 End Credits

OST 6 The Greenhouse Effect = 4M1 The Greenhouse Scene

OST 9 Sean's Theme = 8M1 Alt Piano Version

OST 11 Dr. Eddie And Miss Van Eych = 4M3 Dr. Eddie and Miss Van Eyck

OST 13 Leo Crow... The Confrontation = 6M1 Crow's Hotel Room

OST 14 "Sean" By Agatha = 6M3 Remembering Sean (with 6M3 Insert replacing a portion of the original version)

And finally one track is a classic JW repeat track

OST 16 A New Beginning = the second half of 8M2 End Credits with a loop added

It's remarkable two similar scenes came out in big Hollywood movies in the same summer, both scored similarly by JW

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's remarkable two similar scenes came out in big Hollywood movies in the same summer, both scored similarly by JW

Very similar scenes, yes. 

But the music isn't quite so similar as "Chase through Coruscant" from AotC is similar to the Quidditch music from CoS, yet another movie scored by the same composer in the same year... 😂 

Spielberg must have seen an early cut of Attack of the Clones at Skywalker Ranch, he liked the conveyor belt scene and thought "You know, I could do a setpiece like that on my next sci-fi action movie!". And so was born his homage to the classic scene on which C3PO gets his body separated from his head! :lol:

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

Leo Crow... The Confrontation

The name of this OST track has always been a bit odd for me. I associate putting ... on tracks something James Horner liked to do, specially when he was trying to be melodramatic. Like on Troy, which has the particularly funny-titled "Through the Fires, Achilles... and Immortality". Of course, while Horner was being dramatic, I guess Williams was aiming to be a little more suspenseful.

"Crow's Hotel Room" would have, perhaps, been a bit of a "boring" OST album title, but yea, even just renaming it to something like "The Confrontation" might have been better than the somewhat clunky name they went with

1 hour ago, Jay said:

OST track 7 Eye-Dentiscan = 5M4 Saving The Eyeball followed by 2M6A Elevator Confrontation

This track also includes another track in the middle (6M1A The Man in the Window).

21 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The name of this OST track has always been a bit odd for me.

I had the same feeling. I'm not sure I've ever seen a JW cue with an ellipsis in it.
I actually don't even like using it when I write, to be fair.

As a punctuation mark, it's used to convey tension (like the conveyor – or conveyer – belt conveys Tom Cruise),

but to me it almost sounds childish, so I always thought that MR title was kinda weird. 

I'm trying my best not to use the word "cringy", 'cause I'm not 16 (unfortunately).

Oh, well, here I am, nitpicking about nonsense while I wait for a JW release.
I sure have missed being here :D 

I guess "The Confrontation with Leo Crow" or just "The Confrontation" if they wanted to avoid spoilers (not that this was a huge concern at the time, lol), would've been a little better and more in line with Williams style of naming his OST tracks.