MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

IMG_9613.jpg

My copy of LLL MR and BBR The Deep (super jewel case) with their booklets and CDs swapped. The booklets are the exact same size, and the CDs are both standard. The inlays in the super jewel case are cut in, so yeah that piece would require slight alteration.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Read the label of the CD a little closer and you'll see your answer

1 hour ago, The Five Tones said:

Sorry I compressed the photo before uploading - Big Break Records, subsidiary of pop reissue lords Cherry Red Records.

See, Jay, it's not that hard to be helpful.

John Barrys THE DEEP got reissued? I have the Intrada release. 

On 11/9/2019 at 7:07 AM, The Five Tones said:

IMG_9613.jpg

My copy of LLL MR and BBR The Deep (super jewel case) with their booklets and CDs swapped. The booklets are the exact same size, and the CDs are both standard. The inlays in the super jewel case are cut in, so yeah that piece would require slight alteration.

This looks like the OST version with a few new tracks. Intradas release is both the OST and the entire Barry score (in mono) 

2014. It was an offhand purchase, not a particular fan of the score or composer (great as his reputation is). Was going through a collecting phase with Donna Summer and was revisiting that weird theme song production, I guess, but never listen to it.

On 11/9/2019 at 4:07 AM, The Five Tones said:

I have a whole box of brand new super jewel cases, all three sizes (standard, king and whatever those DVD-Audio sized ones were called). I bought them as spares thinking they would catch on, which they seemingly never did. I only have 3 DVD-Audio discs (one of which is A.I.) and their cases are pristine. The SACD of E.T. is the only CD sized title I have that uses that case, and it is cracked. Annoyingly, someone also decided to change the cutout sizes (where the hinges attach) on the back part of the newer cases, so one has to trim parts of the back inlay cards if substituting cases. So I've never replaced my E.T. case as I will not be cutting my inlay card.  

13 hours ago, JTWfan77 said:

I have a whole box of brand new super jewel cases, all three sizes (standard, king and whatever those DVD-Audio sized ones were called). I bought them as spares thinking they would catch on, which they seemingly never did. I only have 3 DVD-Audio discs (one of which is A.I.) and their cases are pristine. The SACD of E.T. is the only CD sized title I have that uses that case, and it is cracked. Annoyingly, someone also decided to change the cutout sizes (where the hinges attach) on the back part of the newer cases, so one has to trim parts of the back inlay cards if substituting cases. So I've never replaced my E.T. case as I will not be cutting my inlay card.  

I have the A.I. DVD-Audio set. Its decent for its time. The LLL expansion of course blows it away.I also have the DVD-A formats of Korngold's THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and LOTR expanded editions.

4 hours ago, Amer said:

I have the A.I. DVD-Audio set. Its decent for its time. The LLL expansion of course blows it away.I also have the DVD-A formats of Korngold's THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD and LOTR expanded editions.

Oh yes, I completely forgot about the LOTR CCs, I have those too. 

I forgot to post this pic I took after my long-awaited package from La-La Land Records arrived.... Great stuff! My appreciation for Minority Report has definitely gone up several notches after I listened to this. And I loved it even before the expansion treatment! 

FB_IMG_4971896082256616463~2.jpg

On 11/18/2019 at 4:50 AM, Amer said:

I have the A.I. DVD-Audio set. Its decent for its time.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Even in 2001 the DVD-A was seen as a let down.

I agree...with Steef. The A.I. DVD-A has awful sound. Even the two-disc boot, has better sound.

So I was reading @Jay's spreedsheet and noticed that "Sean's Theme" is actually an alternate "piano" version of "A New Beginning".

Do these two pieces share the same theme or something?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Yes... haven't you heard this before?

Apparently not! Like Stu I'm surprised because I can't hear the same melody at all in both tracks, to me Sean's Theme is not A New Beginning (Piano Version).

To be clear,

8M1 A New Beginning is the cue Williams wrote to end the film, the scenes of the precogs now in their cabin, etc.  This was not on the OST, and appears on the LLL as A New Beginning (Film Version)

8M1 Alt Piano Version is presumably an alternate piece of music for the same footage (I've never tried lining it up, but someone here posted they did and it fit), but in the final film Spielberg placed it directly after 8M1, playing over the start of the end credits.  This appears on the OST and LLL as Sean's Theme

8M2 End Credits, which plays in the final film under the rest of the end credits, appears on both the OST and LLL as Minority Report

And then the OST/LLL album track title "A New Beginning" is simply a repeat of the second half of 8M2 (which is heavily based on 8M1 anyway), but with a loop added.

Right sorry, the OST track called Sean's Theme was a cue written as an alternate version of the New Beginning film cue.  Chewy's question implied he hadn't listened to the release yet, which I was confused by.

42 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

Listening to it for the first time right now... quite demanding and the flow is not easier than on the OST.

I like sincere reviews like this, that dare to also mention the negative impressions. Thumbs up!

There are many instances that I don't recognize as being a part of Minority Report - maybe because they weren't used in the movie. But I also had to get used to the unreleased material from The Lost World.

The biggest surprise was definitely "The Man in the Window" - I've never heard something like that from John Williams before.

Besides, two things are really striking: The good remastering and the bad recording.

Hi everyone. I'm French and I struggle with english, be kind... ;)

I've planned to purchase this edition of MINORITY REPORT, but I've waited for other titles to be announced to make one "big" order and avoid prohibitive shipping costs.

Last week, I was so happy to discover the new releases (Disaster Collection, Stargate...), but when I searched for MINORITY on LLL website, the album is TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK.

Have I missed the opportunity to have this edition? Is it possible that all copies were sold? Or will it be back in stock some weeks later, when I'll already make my order for the titles I mentionned before, unless I want to make the mistake of "waiting" twice?

By experience, is it possible that LLL pull a title from its catalogue by purpose?

Thanks for your answers! :)

9 minutes ago, oxo1977 said:

Hi everyone. I'm French and I struggle with english, be kind... ;)

I've planned to purchase this edition of MINORITY REPORT, but I've waited for other titles to be announced to make one "big" order and avoid prohibitive shipping costs.

Last week, I was so happy to discover the new releases (Disaster Collection, Stargate...), but when I searched for MINORITY on LLL website, the album is TEMPORARILY OUT OF STOCK.

Have I missed the opportunity to have this edition? Is it possible that all copies were sold? Or will it be back in stock some weeks later, when I'll already make my order for the titles I mentionned before, unless I want to make the mistake of "waiting" twice?

By experience, is it possible that LLL pull a title from its catalogue by purpose?

Thanks for your answers! :)

These specialty label releases are limited to 3000,5000, etc. copies (Minority Report has 3500), but La-La Land doesn't order all of these at once for manufacturing, and once their initial batch (a couple hundred or thousand copies) is gone, it takes weeks, sometimes months to restock because manufacturing plants are limited and overworked.

Since you're French, I was just about to recommend your local reseller https://www.musicbox-records.com, from whom I ordered Minority Report last Friday, but I just saw even they have it out of stock by now and probably won't get more until LLL gets more. So it's the waiting game again.

If all 3500 copies sell out, LLL will indicate that clearly on their website and after a while will even remove the page.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

If all 3500 copies sell out, LLL will indicate that clearly on their website and after a while will even remove the page.

I wonder why they do that. It's like they're trying to erase all evidence that these expanded releases even existed. Like it's dangerous to mention them, even. 😂 

They could at least list every album they released in the past, marking those that are OOP.... 

Yeah, all that artwork and samples gone forever instead of being placed in an OOP section, marked very clearly so there's no confusion...

Over at Intrada, they actually just went through a giant purge and also removed all of their OOP releases from appearing on their website as well.  Someone noticed this, asked on the Intrada forums about it, and Roger replied:

They were removed because there were several hundred of these and it was confusing customers trying to order CDs as they were repeatedly stumbling upon stuff that wasn't orderable. Since the primary purpose of the site is to facilitate sales, not act as an archive for everything and the latter was interfering with the former, we elected to remove those.

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8285

I'm guessing La-La Land's thought process was similar

3 hours ago, Holko said:

These specialty label releases are limited to 3000,5000, etc. copies (Minority Report has 3500), but La-La Land doesn't order all of these at once for manufacturing, and once their initial batch (a couple hundred or thousand copies) is gone, it takes weeks, sometimes months to restock because manufacturing plants are limited and overworked.

Since you're French, I was just about to recommend your local reseller https://www.musicbox-records.com, from whom I ordered Minority Report last Friday, but I just saw even they have it out of stock by now and probably won't get more until LLL gets more. So it's the waiting game again.

Thank you. I'll wait, then. :)