MINORITY REPORT (2002) - 2019 2CD Expanded Edition from La-La Land Records

Disco Stu

I need to listen to this properly. I never owned the OST. Had barely even heard “A New Beginning” - any less anything else from the score - outside of a compilation of JW music done by The Prague Philharmonic. So my connection to the score was minute, if anything at all.

Upon arrival, I was excited, I prepped myself for “listening mode”, sat down, relaxed, music flowing, had a smoke, all circumstances were as good as can be, but I ended up just listening to the first disc..

Good golly I love this score.  I haven't been listening as much lately, my attention wandered, but I was listening to at least sections every day for a while there.  It certainly helps that I love the film too.  This is one of those scores that's really enriched by understanding the choices that Williams was making dramatically, what he was responding to.

I really enjoyed listening to Maurizio, Mike, and Tim talk about the film in the podcast, and in particular about how masterfully Williams wrote a theme for Sean that captures the grief of losing him, but also contains a hint of optimism that things will be OK.  

The A New Beginning theme builds off that too I think.  It's still touched by grief, but the colors of optimism are even more pronounced.  Which makes sense given where the Andertons and the Precogs are at the end of the film.  Forever affected by their hardships, but with hope to look forward to.  It's a beautiful ending!

I really like it and feel guilty that Mando, Home Alone 2 and the TROS FYC are overshadowing it at the moment! It only got 3 full listens in this week I owned it for.

43 minutes ago, Holko said:

I really like it and feel guilty that Mando, Home Alone 2 and the TROS FYC are overshadowing it at the moment! It only got 3 full listens in this week I owned it for.

There are worse things, like not owning it at all. Now is the perfect time for HA2.

• 1 month later...
21 minutes ago, Jay said:

Is there any benefit to ordering from them instead of directly from LLL?

https://lalalandrecords.com/minority-report-limited-edition-2-cd-set/

I forgot that LLL just got in back in stock, that's why I posted it.

But doesn't Intrada have the rewards points system?

• 1 month later...

Hi there...is it just mine...or does the back cover In this release look really cheap, as in too big for the jewel case and therefore the paper makes waves? And the flipping 2cd case ruined the spine when I moved it because it is not in place due to it being too big... Towering inferlo fits perfectly...

7 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

Mine fits perfect.

Ditto. No problems with it at all.

Mine has a little ripple too. The spine part is crooked and away from the back tray but it's also cut shorter than the spine of the case so the tray doesn't get caught in it.

5 hours ago, Holko said:

Mine has a little ripple too. The spine part is crooked and away from the back tray but it's also cut shorter than the spine of the case so the tray doesn't get caught in it.

Did you get it on second or third printing?

Well now I have something to pair far and away with...a replacement back cover....

My disaster box didn't come with an extra back cover, because the correct one is already on the disc proper, if that info is worth something

The conveyEr belt is still there though...

uhhhhhhh

First I think? I got it pretty soon. It's not nearly as bad that I'd need replacement.

I feel like this release didn't generate a lot of discussion about the actual music content.

Now that everyone's had almost half a year with it, what do people think?  Did the new presentation change your mind if all you'd heard before was the OST?  If you'd heard the leak, do you appreciate the new mastering and additional music that wasn't on that?

Has your estimation of the score gone up or down on your list of all Williams scores after hearing this?

I'd love some thoughts!

It's not really a score I would call my favourite but this release is definitely an improvement. It feels more coherent and sounds better. I find some decisions to split sequences into two tracks a bit strange from the perspective of purely musical experience but it they make some sense as far as full film score goes.

Karol

I think if you start listening and never look at the name of what track is currently playing, you don't notice that things are split up or whatever.  It only might look weird when you are looking at the track list

Spyders/Freezing Water and Sean by Agatha/Run are the two where I really felt the pause takes away from the flow and like them much more when joined.

Understandable.  At least they are really easy to join with a WAV editor; If they had been joined, those who prefer them separate would have to use the boot to separate them

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think if you start listening and never look at the name of what track is currently playing, you don't notice that things are split up or whatever.  It only might look weird when you are looking at the track list

I wish I still did that, listening to music without looking at track names or changes. It somehow became unavoidable for me now that computers allow me to keep track of these things.

It's not *really* necessary, content-wise, and you need to recreate some of Williams' fiendish album edits, which are rather clever. But the sound is much better and a few of the electronic pieces are cool. So a better MR album can be created out of it.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Did the new presentation change your mind if all you'd heard before was the OST?

The score is quite a bit darker and colder in complete form, which I like.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

If you'd heard the leak, do you appreciate the new mastering and additional music that wasn't on that?

The new mastering made me pay attention to the recording quality for the first time. I'd say, the new mastering is as good as it gets with that less-than-satisfying recording.

I prefer split tracks rather than joint.

Of course, there are exceptions. For example “The Catamaran Race” in Jaws 2, made up of the two tracks “Sailing” and “More Boating”.

Although, still, it is nice to have them split as well.

C&C programs shouldn't be designed for WAV editor geeks, but for ordinary listeners. I think, however, that it is a good idea to separate two cues, if one of them has an alternate version, so that you can easily swap out the original with the alternate. That's why I'm not a big fan of the "Forward to Time Past/Saving Buckbeak" track. I cannot just place my preferred version of "Saving Buckbeak" in the main program without double dipping the cue.

Sure they could be simple recording session dumps with every cue separate but I think restoring as much of the intended and fitting flow as possible right in the package should be the priority over the 2% who will want to swap alternates and could just use an editor for that, or want to hear the semi-arbitrary splitting points on their own because it's neat.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Sure they could be simple recording session dumps with every cue separate but I think restoring as much of the intended and fitting flow as possible right in the package should be the priority over the 2% who will want to swap alternates and could just use an editor for that, or want to hear the semi-arbitrary splitting points on their own because it's neat.

I agree on that. The alternate swapping aspect is merely an exception, where I think it is okay to split cues that could have played well together.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The optimal presentation focues on music as a separate listening experience apart from the film.

Yes. That said, the Star Wars Special Editions' medleys are certainly too much and some of Intrada's releases could really have joined a few more cues.

• 3 weeks later...

Well... It looks like La-La Land is out of stock on this again. I put in an order on the 27th before it went out of stock but it hasn't shipped yet... let's hope I was able to get in under the wire. 

49 minutes ago, Brian99_1 said:

Well... It looks like La-La Land is out of stock on this again. I put in an order on the 27th before it went out of stock but it hasn't shipped yet... let's hope I was able to get in under the wire. 

Looks like it's still in stock on SAE.

https://www1.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/39476/MINORITY-REPORT-2-CD-3500-EDITION/

9 hours ago, Bellosh said:

It is!  I just received it yesterday from them along with Far and Away.