Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

“Maybe it’s easy to dismiss VFX or flying people or spaceships or billion dollar grosses,” Feige said. “I think it is easy to say that you have already been awarded in a certain way. [Alfred] Hitchcock never won best director, so it’s very nice, but it doesn’t mean everything. I would much rather be in a room full of engaged fans.”

Uwe Boll never won Best director either. 

Super-hero movie haters and DC/Nolan/Snyder stans will love it and celebrate it like a goal on the final of the World Cup.

MCU fans will bash it and proclaim that Scorsese haven't make a good movie in years.

And the internet will remain as tedious and boring as usual.

56 minutes ago, publicist said:

"I would much rather be in a room full of engaged fans."

I believe that says all that needs to be said.  There's room enough for Marty and the MCU in the world, and little need for these pissing contests.  Frankly nothing I've seen from the latter has bored me to tears as much as the former's Wolf of Wall Street.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Someone in the industry had to say it and I can't think of anyone better!

If he said it circa 2013, I would disagree.

But as 2020 is approaching and Marvel is showing no signs of slowing down, I'll take it.

I don't think Scorcese has it in for genre filmmaking in general.

Its specifically the MCU, with its plain, TV-film aesthetics; its light and sarcastically comedic tone; and its endless, greedy serialization that he (and I) could do without.

6 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I don't think Scorcese has it in for genre filmmaking in general.

Its specifically the MCU, with its plain, TV-film aesthetics; its light and sarcastically comedic tone; and its endless, greedy serialization that he (and I) could do without.

You hit the nail on the head.

...on the intellectual level of a 10-year old. But somehow i made my peace with it over the years: it saves a lot of money and with tv sets the size of living rooms, who really needs cinemas anyway?

I've seen some smarmy comments from Marvel fans shitting on Scorsese, usually giving a variation of the retort: 'Well, he's just pissed that the MCU has made more money than all of his films combined'. As if raking in the dollars was always indicative of quality cinema. How many turds has Hollywood shit out that have made dazzling profits that wouldn't even make anyone's top ten lists and would fade from memory the next day? 

I enjoy the MCU films, some I absolutely detest as garbage, some I'm indifferent about, but the one constant thing I abide by is that they are cinematic in one respect only: they're shown in cinemas. I can think of three MCU films which have a great sense of style and artistic direction and are more than 'comic book films'. In other words, they aren't bland, overproduced, and without creative merit. Perhaps the label 'comic book film' is a bit disingenuous, after all, could we come to a consensus on what exactly makes a film a 'comic book film'? Comic book characters in a motion picture? Films stylistically presented with the formatting of a comic book's graphic visuals? (Like Ang Lee's Hulk?)  I think what Scorsese touches upon is sheer magnitude of the films in the superhero genre has somewhat diluted their effectiveness as individual, meaningful stories, kinda like they're a dime a dozen. It makes it harder to appreciate one when there's fifty more just like it.

This isn't to say Scorsese's criticism of these films is wholly right, either. I think if you can derive meaning and enjoyment from any film that should be enough, although I would think very few are worthy of being put side by side with some of cinema's greatest films. Personally, I think these MCU films have to at least contain some of the criteria one might want to find in a Oscar contender: Production Value, Screenwriting, Music, Acting etc. you know, the elements we love and praise in those films that resonate with us beyond mere visual spectacle. But maybe that's part of these films' appeal and success is they are intrinsically visual, coming from one visual medium to another without much beneath the surface beyond what the viewer might choose to fill it with? I love comics and graphic novels for that reason, that these are strictly visual narratives that we can fill in with our imagination, where other genres and narratives will implore the viewer to think and follow an ideology or message (as with most of Scorsese's films).

It's interesting Scorsese's comment coincided with the release of DC's Joker, because that's a film which is in that murky category of 'comic book/superhero film' but doesn't bear the mark of it in the slightest. 

Oh yeah, remember that cinematic battle between the Avengers at an...airport?

cw-airport-fight-gif.gif

Or when Falcon was killing all those faceless things on...Naboo?

source.gif

Or when the Avengers all leapt forwards in a charge to raid a...secret Hydra base to steal a magic sceptre?

giphy (10).gif

Is there a difference between superhero movies (which according to Scorsese are theme parks) and pre-superhero movies like Indiana Jones, Die Hard, Transformers or Star Wars? Chances are Scorsese was never entertained with the big summer movie rides.

9 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Go to Rivers and buy some appropriate old man clothes.

Men dress so immaturely these days. They don't even wear leather jackets anymore.