Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

The film does suffer considerably from his direction. It's a pity- a far simpler approach that would have allowed Hopkins and Pryce to do their thing without the interruption of Meirelles' flair and flashiness could've made it one of the best films of the year. Someone failed to recognize that the performances ought to have been given complete and uninterrupted focus. For what we do get from the pair it's quite clear that it was a missed opportunity, because while both Hopkins and Pryce were phenomenal they deserved so much more. 

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

The director of The Two Popes has forfeited every right to criticize.

Doesn't he get some credit for City Of God?

City.jpg

13 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's also phenomenal in GoT.

He's "phenomeal" in...hmm...let me see, now:

VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED,

BREAKING GLASS,

THE PLOUGHMAN'S LUNCH,

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES,

TOMORROW NEVER DIES,

BRAZIL,

THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN.

That's enough to be going on, with :)

3 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

He's "phenomeal" in...hmm...let me see, now:

VOYAGE OF THE DAMNED,

BREAKING GLASS,

THE PLOUGHMAN'S LUNCH,

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES,

TOMORROW NEVER DIES,

BRAZIL,

THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN.

That's enough to be going on, with :)

Sure, but he basically plays the same role in GoT, although a lot more sincere. ;)

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He's also phenomenal in GoT.

I hated that character and that whole terrible subplot.

It was amusing to see Pryce's awkward reaction to Ricky Gervais' piss taking the other night though.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I hated that character and that whole terrible subplot.

It was amusing to see Pryce's awkward reaction to Ricky Gervais' piss taking the other night though.

It was still well acted. :)

I didn't see that. What did Ricky say?

The High Sparrow subplot was the last time Thrones was good and interesting.

Also, Gervais was embarrassingly terrible at the Globes.  I have no problem with puncturing Hollywood hypocrisy, or anyone's hypocrisy, if that's the approach you want to take, when it's witty, sharp, and delivered well.  He just told badly written jokes and stumbled over his own delivery.  I've never enjoyed his stand-up though.  He's a better actor than stand-up IMO.

Gervais' Globes went down an absolute storm on social media, by all accounts. I don't find him all that funny personally, but I always think he comes over nice and no nonsense in interviews. I'd hazard a guess and say that Disco Stu just ain't a fan of coarse or rude humour, hence his lack of appreciation for Ricky's presenting routine. Stu prefers good manners and believes that everyone should always be respectful of one another at all times, regardless of the setting. That's fine and dandy, but others like a bit of mean spiritedness and sting at the end of a joke, myself included. Besides, conventional "vanilla" presenters are ten a penny in these things, some being better or much worse than others. Ricky has at least carved himself out a place in amongst all that, which folk seem to love him for.

I think it's interesting how this vague, formless idea of "Hollywood" as an entity has become such a punching bag for people of vastly different political persuasions.  For people on the right, there's the idea of the Hollywood Liberal Elite, with their lack of family values and supposed contempt for "real" Americans.  For people on the left, they're all racist and sexist symbols of white patriarchy with the #OscarsSoWhite and #MeToo anti-Hollywood establishment social movements.  And beyond politics, there's no question that the entertainment industry has an incredibly over-inflated sense of self-importance.

And yet, the majority across society continue to be endlessly fascinated by the people and the movies/shows they make.  Los Angeles continues its complete dominance, certainly in the Western world, of the stories that people happily consume on a daily basis.

How do you discuss the latest Golden Globes without referencing the politics associated with it? Scratch that, embedded into it. Is every discussion here meant to tiptoe around the important aspects? "Nothing to see here!"

13 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He said it was a big year for pedo movies and listed Two Popes with the R Kelly and Michael Jackson docs

So this is what Robert Townson is doing nowadays after resigning from Varese.

image.png

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Then why did you opt for the blue pill, Steef? Admit it, you love to wallow in blissful ignorance. 

hqdefault.jpg

The Truth is out there, Alex. But you would prefer to talk about movies.

3 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

How do you discuss the latest Golden Globes without referencing the politics associated with it? Scratch that, embedded into it. Is every discussion here meant to tiptoe around the important aspects? "Nothing to see here!"

Basically what I said in the rules thread - politics touches every aspect of our lives, so how do we talk about anything here without fear of censorship?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Zack Snyder on Scorsese slamming superhero movies: 

Snyder: "Oh, it's fair, Martin Scorsese is a genius. If you're really good at something, commenting on that world is completely within your rights. And it doesn't diminish my respect for him. I'm certain he wasn't talking about my movies. [Laughs] He might've been, but I like to think he wasn't. He meant the other ones."

• 7 months later...

Paul Thomas Anderson doesn't agree with Scorsese and the other naysayers. He likes superhero movies and he says they are saving the movie theaters.

https://www.cbr.com/paul-thomas-anderson-spider-man-will-save-movie-theaters/

Let's cancel him!

BTW, what a strange title for this thread. Can't we change it? Quint won't mid, he is a goner anyway.