Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

2 hours ago, Bilbo said:

he's right you know 

Of course he's right. Personally, I don't have a problem with superhero movies, but the thing that worries me is how boring cinema has become when it comes to diversity. That's why I am glad that streaming services such as Netflix have become the new risk-takers.

Netflix has to give all that Marvel shit back to Disney+. Soon they will be superhero free, unless of course they decide they want their own superhero series like The Boys.

Does The Umbrella Academy count?  I haven't seen it but it looks like people have superpowers, or I guess they probably call it magic or something

14 hours ago, Jay said:

Does The Umbrella Academy count?  I haven't seen it but it looks like people have superpowers, or I guess they probably call it magic or something

Watched two episodes of that with the kid and we thought it was pretty bad. Very annoying characters. Is that a Netflix production? The Boys is way better. Hopefully The Boys will get a bigger budget for its second season.

19 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I hope they don't wear themselves out with The Boys and get to tell a complete story. 

That and a bigger budget. I mean, when Homelander arrives at a scene, it's usually off-screen with only a 'woosh' sound as evidence of his arrival or departure. It kinda screams 'We have no money for FX'. Not that it is that important but I do feel Season 1 of The Boys was a bit tight on budget.

I sort of liked the sparse economy of the FX though. Of course we're bound to have a spectacular action sequence or two to look forward to next year, especially since Amazon are likely to seriously boost The Boys budget after their hitting the ground running with it; but at no point during S1 did I think, this looks cheap. The opposite was true actually, it was visually very slick.

Exactly, I think there are things we just don't need to see to believe it, especially for gratuitous CG shots. We can still understand something without needing exposition shots which take away from other aspects of the show worth seeing.

Yes, especially since Marvel have insured that superhero derring-do can be seen as being run-of-the-mill and overdone now anyway. In the case of The Boys though, at least the material should allow their big set pieces to be more (probably a lot more) fatally devastating than anything seen in The Avengers. Civilians will die on camera. I'm thinking parallels with US foreign policy and bombing raids are ripe for picking here.

I disagree. The surrogate 'woosh' only works when it's used sparely, not when it's 98% of the time, then it screams that they have no budget. It's only one example of how the show skimps on FX. I'm not FX hungry, but I did notice a certain lack of it. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Scorsese has written a New York Times op-ed further explaining his comments.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/opinion/martin-scorsese-marvel.html

It's nice to see him not entirely backtrack on his comments and stick by them.

And Di$ney's Bob Iger invites Scorsese for a glass of wine to explain to him why you don't shit on multi billion $ franchises without getting beaten up either by moron fans or outraged shareholders (hey, i'm not blaming him, even i am one, small as i am).

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-11-04/disney-ceo-bob-iger-scorsese-marvel-star-wars

I looked up if Bob Iger ever did something creative or artistic before he became the CEO of Disney. Nope. He's just very good at becoming the boss of a company. He's never going to have a movie discussion with Scorsese. He probably doesn't even like movies.

Iger forgets to mention the fact that Scorsese is making films from a creative standpoint and as an individual filmmaker, not an industrial, conveyor belt system which exploits creativity. Iger will say, 'But look, we've got good directors and cast and crew making these movies', but he won't say 'All these directors are making these movies to fill a quota and to push out as many films as we can before the money evaporates.'

1 hour ago, publicist said:

And Di$ney's Bob Iger invites Scorsese for a glass of wine to explain to him why you don't shit on multi billion $ franchises without getting beaten up either by moron fans or outraged shareholders (hey, i'm not blaming him, even i am one, small as i am).

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/movies/story/2019-11-04/disney-ceo-bob-iger-scorsese-marvel-star-wars

What are you - a moron fan or an outraged shareholder?

19 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What are you - a moron fan or an outraged shareholder?

I diligently set this up for you, of course, as the board's evil overlord of bad puns and jokes - 'Location: Norway' is an outrageous lie. A person like you can't be from Thor country.

12 hours ago, Arpy said:

Iger forgets to mention the fact that Scorsese is making films from a creative standpoint and as an individual filmmaker, not an industrial, conveyor belt system which exploits creativity.

I mean, its inevitable that films make money. That, on its own doesn't make them any less meritorious, artistically.

But I'm with Marty (not to mention Cameron, Gibson, Jackson, Coppola and Nolan) on this. Had it up to here with the MCU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Disney will buy anything! Their next purchase: Scorsese!

Disney CEO Bob Iger Arranging Meeting With Scorsese After ‘Nasty’ Marvel Comments

Just when you thought the Martin Scorsese vs. Marvel debate was quieting down after months of seemingly everyone in Hollywood weighing in on the matter, here comes Disney chairman and chief executive officer Bob Iger. The Disney boss was recently named Time’s businessperson of the year and told the magazine that his team and Scorsese’s team are arranging a meeting between the two to discuss the state of cinema.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/12/disney-ceo-bob-iger-meeting-scorsese-mcu-diss-1202196911/

2 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Give Scorsese a Hulk movie!

I guess he would prefer a Daredevil vs Kingpin movie. It has everything he likes: setting on the dirty New York underworld, mobsters, Catholic guilt... If it's set in the 70s, then, he'll love it!

Also, De Niro can be Kingpin and Di Caprio might be Norman Osborn or something (he's too old for Daredevil, unfortunately :( )