Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

I talked about this issue many times (more than 25 years) and finally someone from the factory itself admits it:

Edward Norton: Theaters are killing cinema:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/norton-theaters-not-netflix-are-killing-cinema/

“A lot of filmmakers and cinematographers that I know that have really started to look into this say that more than 60% of American theaters are running their projector at almost half the luminosity that they’re required by contract to run it at. They are delivering crappy sound and a dim picture, and no one is calling them on it." 

Although, in my experience, sound was never a problem.

On the subject of sound:

Deafening cinema sound is ruining films, claims Hugh Grant

I've noticed the increase in decibels over the years. Bay's first Transformers movie (and probably its sequels) were absolutely ridiculous how loud they were. I remember The Avengers movie was stupidly loud too. It actually hurts.

The dynamic range is all fucked up to the point where you can't hear dialogue unless you crank it, but the rest of the sound elements are mixed so loudly you have to turn it down when anything happens. Up and down. Up and down. You used to be able to just listen at a consistent volume level. Fuck these modern sound mixes.

Also, Hugh Grant is so cool.

I have the same complaint about the Millennium Falcon ride at Disneyland. The screen is really dim so you can't really see what the hell happening. I definitely experience that in cinemas on the rare occasions I go. It has that look of an LCD screen with the backlight off and shitty black levels.

When I went to the cinema in 2018 to see Ready Player One and Avengers: Infinity War, the sound was fine. But the next movies I saw were Avengers: Engdame and Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and they were so fucking loud, the only thing I can think of that's louder is those pallet movers at the hardware shop. Thank god I wore my earplugs, because my hearing injury would never have tolerated it.

The plot thickens.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/news.yahoo.com/amphtml/coppola-backs-scorsese-row-over-marvel-films-173112180.html

"When Martin Scorsese says that the Marvel pictures are not cinema, he's right because we expect to learn something from cinema, we expect to gain something, some enlightenment, some knowledge, some inspiration.

"I don't know that anyone gets anything out of seeing the same movie over and over again," the 80-year-old filmmaker said.

"Martin was kind when he said it's not cinema. He didn't say it's despicable, which I just say it is."

11 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_(1996_film)

What did people gain from this, Francis? The 'knowledge' they'd wasted their money on the price of admission? 

"Jack was a movie that everybody hated and I was constantly damned and ridiculed for. I must say I find Jack sweet and amusing. I don't dislike it as much as everyone, but that's obvious—I directed it. I know I should be ashamed of it but I'm not. I don't know why everybody hated it so much. I think it was because of the type of movie it was. It was considered that I had made Apocalypse Now and I'm like a Marty Scorsese type of director, and here I am making this dumb Disney film with Robin Williams. But I was always happy to do any type of film."

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

We can thank One From the Heart for Jack.

He talked about it in this Q&A at 1:23:51, pretty funny: https://www.dga.org/Events/2011/05-may-2011/Francis-Ford-Coppola.aspx

Not that 'The Rainmaker' was that much better. And, as 'One from the Heart' is on Amazon Prime right now, i say it's a rather, erm, idiosyncratic way of wasting 30 million, that's for sure.

00126b6c-500.jpg

Natalie Portman: "I think there's room for all types of cinema. There's not one way to make art. I think that Marvel films are so popular because they're really entertaining and people desire entertainment when they have their special time after work, after dealing with their hardships in real life."

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

00126b6c-500.jpg

Natalie Portman: "I think there's room for all types of cinema. There's not one way to make art. I think that Marvel films are so popular because they're really entertaining and people desire entertainment when they have their special time after work, after dealing with their hardships in real life."

Still fapping to her after 20 years.

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

End of the day Portman was in Thor.

Maybe we should all ask Miriam Margolyes what she thinks about it instead.

And she’s getting her own MCU film so of course she’s going to be praising the virtue of funny book movies 

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

For me, it had stopped.

I haven't seen Spiderman: Far From Home and I will not see any Phase 4 film.

And I never will. Enough is enough already.

Phase 4 is where I think things can kick off in new and exciting ways - and Far From Home was a good film to wrap up the Stark/Avengers material. 

It's time they got back to having fun without all the doom and gloom, apocalyptic nightmares.