Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

9 hours ago, AC1 said:

Paul Thomas Anderson doesn't agree with Scorsese and the other naysayers. He likes superhero movies and he says they are saving the movie theaters.

https://www.cbr.com/paul-thomas-anderson-spider-man-will-save-movie-theaters/

Let's cancel him!

Ha. A friend of mine cynically called this "How to get love from audiences who wouldn't get dragged to see your movies even if you paid them"

While PTA said "Superhero movies are saving movie theaters", some youtubers change his statement into "Marvel is saving film (saving the art form)", but that is not true, of course. 'Streaming' is saving film as PTA will one day find out.  :mellow:

It's reliable, BUT if you go to your Account Settings / Security and Privacy and go into Hidden mode, then that field isn't updated anymore until you go back to normal mode.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

While PTA said "Superhero movies are saving movie theaters", 

Yeah, and judging by how ridiculously well the new Spider-Man movie is doing, in the midst of Omicron...he's not wrong.

But no, they're certainly not saving film.

• 2 weeks later...

George Clooney is the next in line to realize that soon his movies will no longer be playing in theaters. 

But honestly, theaters weren't jumping at taking a lot of the films that that I've been making for a long time. They were like, 'Yeah, that's not really our thing anymore.' So the streamers have really opened up a door in a way to keep those kinds of stories alive."

https://screenrant.com/george-clooney-movies-theaters-streaming-release-comparison/

For the times they are a-changin'

• 2 months later...

I find it funny how the MCU fanboys go after directors like Scorsese and Coppola and I say this as someone who rather enjoys the MCU movies. As a fan of Coppola and Scorsese though, it almost hurts to see how braindead some of the fanboy comments are on twitter etc.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I'm more shocked to see how skinny and old Coppola has become, but then I haven't seen a recent photo of him in years.

FOaGamkXMAc4WcV?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I believe he said he lost 60 pounds at a health and fitness center, both because he was worried about his weight as he was hitting 80 but also specifically to get himself in better shape to direct Megalopolis which he's gotten serious as hell about making ASAP, rumor is he starts shooting in September. It does make him look gaunt but hope he's healthy. He seems ok looking at his speech.

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea looks great.  Unusual composer choice too

Hopefully Robertson will have more to do on this one.  He was technically the "composer" of The Irishman but I don't know what if any original music he actually did for that, he was mostly a music supervisor I think for the mountain of needle drops in it.

25 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Of these I still need to see Silence. Is it any good?

It's the best film on that list.

23 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Hopefully Robertson will have more to do on this one.  He was technically the "composer" of The Irishman but I don't know what if any original music he actually did for that, he was mostly a music supervisor I think for the mountain of needle drops in it.

I remember some kind of guitar/cello theme? Didn't make much of it, but it all worked.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Superhero flicks are single-handedly keeping theatre chains going whilst simultaneously killing cinema.

Aye, there's the rub. All these films are suffocating creativity, while continuing to employ an awful lot of people.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I...instantly dismiss anything new featuring lycra...

Believe me, I have absolutely no problem with looking at women in lycra :)

1 hour ago, Mr. Who said:

Of these I still need to see Silence. Is it any good?

It is, though I don't agree with KK that it's the best on the list. Of the others, I'd put The Irishman and The Wolf of Wall Street above it and maybe Shutter Island too (I haven't seen Hugo). That said, I've seen those three multiple times and Silence only once; it may be a film which improves on closer acquaintance. Strangely, I was more impressed with each of the other three on the first viewing than on the rewatches.

I don't have any affection for any of them, but honesty compels me to say that I haven't seen Silence, which struck me as Scorsese obviously fishing for Oscars. 

Really?  I think your internal definition of Oscarbait is out of date.  That movie did not strike me as Oscarbait at all, the taste of the current Academy couldn't be less open to meditations on faith.  Oscarbait these days means making the voters feel good and morally righteous in their leftist political views.

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I don't have any affection for any of them...

There's a shocker!

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Silence...struck me as Scorsese obviously fishing for Oscars. 

I don't think that makes much sense. If he was after Oscars he would have made a film that more people would be likely to watch

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Really?  I think your internal definition of Oscarbait is out of date. 

I dunno, my idea of an Oscar bait movie is The Mission or Gandhi. Silence, even though I haven't seen it, reminded me of those movies. 

So I have google for Scorsese's Silence + Oscar bait I will get zero results? 

silence-1000x563.jpg

Silence

645full-the-mission-screenshot.jpg

The Mission

Know what I'm saying?

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Wolf of Wall Street is easily my favorite on that list.  Bugnuts masterpiece.

It's a great movie but so is the Irishman which I think is possibly the weightier film. However, quotability of Wolf of Wall Street is difficult to surpass. A few years ago I remember everyone doing the chest pounding thing.

There is absolutely nothing Oscar-baity about SILENCE, but I was not as thrilled with the movie as many others. Ripe for a rewatch, though.

9 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I dunno, my idea of an Oscar bait movie is The Mission or Gandhi. Silence, even though I haven't seen it, reminded me of those movies. 

That's what I'm saying, your definition of Oscarbait is 40 years out of date

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That's what I'm saying, your definition of Oscarbait is 40 years out of date

Perhaps it's because Silence looks like my out of date definition of Oscar bait. Perhaps that was Scorese's mistake?

So if I google for Scorsese's Silence + Oscar bait I will get zero results? 

Surely it's not difficult to answer? Or is it?

15 minutes ago, Thor said:

There is absolutely nothing Oscar-baity about SILENCE ...

Why not?

7 minutes ago, AC1 said:

So I have google for Scorsese's Silence + Oscar bait I will get zero results? 

Surely it's not difficult to answer? Or is it?

Could it be possible that I just don't care?

I don't think that Scorsese gives a monkey's about Oscarness. I think he just sets out to make the best film that he can.

If you make a film in order for it to be Oscar-nominated, then you are making it for all the wrong fucking reasons.

11 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

I don't think that Scorsese gives a monkey's about Oscarness.

That's not the impression I have. At a certain point Scorese stopped making personal movies and concentrated on movies that would have a wide appeal and that were more eligible for winning Oscars (The Aviator, Shutter Island, The Departed, ... )

Maybe you guys didn't see it that way but I did.

4 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

I just Googled Dirty Grandpa + Oscar bait and got 4,400,000 results.

That's nothing compared to 'Silence + Oscar bait' which got 8. 650.000 results.

As you see, Googling a proposition doesn't separate the bad takes from the good, to say nothing of the irrelevant results...

(By the way, I only get half as many results in the case of Silence as in that of Dirty Grandpa.)