Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

10 hours ago, JTW said:

I think you’re mistaking being polite with being PC, but that’s OK, I don’t mind. 

It's not being polite, it's dodging discussion, but hey, no one forces anything on you.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

SCHINDLER'S LIST is a clinging, cloying film, that preys on your emotions, and demands respect, while, at the same time, doing nothing to deserve it. It's Oscar bait at its most shameful.

The interesting thing about "I could have done more", is that it never happened. According to Mrs. Schindler, he thanked people, politely, then got into the car and drove away. End of. No tears. No falling over. No regrets.

It's a well made film, and, technically, very proficient, but somehow it just doesn't ring true... even for a piece of fiction.

As @publicist has drawn our attention to it, the "Cincinnati Kid" sequence, probably would have spoiled the perceived altruism of Schindler, and shown him for what he was: a businessman.

I appreciate SCHINDLER'S LIST, but, in no way do I like it.

I think it's a great achievement, all things considered. Back when i was in school, SL was mandatory viewing, and while this concept fell flat on its face especially with a certain young male demographic, a much bigger percentage felt shaken and moved by it, something schoolbooks and documentaries never remotely achieved.

We might bemoan certain things that can be considered manipulative or naive, but on the whole, a bleak, sometimes borderline unwatchable Holocaust movie like this just wouldn't have been possible in Hollywood at that time (without Spielberg). 

Munich is a snuff film. Its easily the SS film not worth revisiting.

On 24/03/2022 at 11:55 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

SCHINDLER'S LIST is a clinging, cloying film, that preys on your emotions, and demands respect, while, at the same time, doing nothing to deserve it. It's Oscar bait at its most shameful.

The interesting thing about "I could have done more", is that it never happened. According to Mrs. Schindler, he thanked people, politely, then got into the car and drove away. End of. No tears. No falling over. No regrets.

Drama by definition preys on your emotions: its literally what it does.

That isn't to say I'm the biggest fan of the "I could have done more" scene, but I'm very much against this idea that a minute or two of film can ruin a 180-minute film. Its a bit much, but its over before you know it.

But its not a film I feel I can evaluate as a Jew. Very difficult to explain what that film means here.

On 24/03/2022 at 4:55 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

Films "based on a true story" always suffer in this way.  Treat the plot as fiction but the background context as real, otherwise it doesn't work.  For instance, remember that scene in the King's Speech where he speaks perfectly with headphones on--if that is the case, why the hell didn't he give every radio address with headphones on?  My guess is that because the headphone crap was made up out of thin air.  

What movie are we talking about?  

3 hours ago, Thor said:

It's one of Spielberg's worst films.

Fixed it for you.

55 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

I liked it, but the lovemaking scene left me bewildered. I dont know what did he want to show there. 

Sex.

4 minutes ago, JTW said:

Sex.

It was the juxtaposition with the terrorist attack that i didnt understand, plus the detachment eric banas character seems to have, while he should showing more complicity and tenderness to his pregnant wife. 

I think he is obsessed with the attack... But i think that the scene is weirdly executed or that it should be more plainly exposed to fully understand it. 

17 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

It was the juxtaposition with the terrorist attack that i didnt understand, plus the detachment eric banas character seems to have, while he should showing more complicity and tenderness to his pregnant wife. 

I think he is obsessed with the attack... But i think that the scene is weirdly executed or that it should be more plainly exposed to fully understand it. 

I haven’t seen the film in at least 10 years, so my memory is rather foggy about it, but yes I think the character’s aggressive (or passionate?) lovemaking is the consequence of his actions, the killings of the terrorists, and it’s a form of PTSD. I think it was the first real sex scene Spielberg ever directed. 

Jim also sneakily watches the couple who are caring him to make love in empire of the sun... . Another strange scene that is just there it has no explanation or consecuences of him having watched them....

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Gee, really? The point of the whole thing was to show how insensitized and numbed Bana had become through his experiences. The sex probably was meant to emphasize it, as a purely physical exercise, with a haunted look on his face suggesting he's not in the moment but relives his past experiences.

Its admirable that with so much in his mind and so much stress he could culminate the rapport... 

Anyway, i didnt feel the wife was angered or that the relatioship was strained after the very scene... Or i dont remember it.