Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Quintus

On 10/4/2019 at 12:35 PM, Quintus said:

Martin Scorsese says Marvel movies are 'not cinema'

Someone in the industry had to say it and I can't think of anyone better!

He is most incorrect. Shit like the tedius Irishman or whatever isn't cinema either. Its a tv movie.

• 2 weeks later...

So, which directors have spoken against the Superhero/MCU tzunmi?

Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Sir Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Mel Gibson and now Terry Gilliam.

Hmm, maybe they have a point?

Though i find Gilliam's quotes more than reasonable. He even admits that technically these things are marvelous. The basic problem still is not Marvel, that's only a symptom of a constant dumbdown through mass media, it's that these corporation have the responsibility to raise the bar and in the past, they did both, the lofty and the spectacle. Gilliam is right that companies like Disney should spend more of their stupid movie's money into more diversity, and i don't mean gender.

Meh, people had issues with spectacle movies since the beginning of the medium. That's not what concerns me, and I don't think that's what concerns a lot of these filmmakers, many of whom are the masters of spectacle.

Its to do with Marvel's endless serialization and with their meta style of humour, both of which I just don't enjoy in films.

5 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Meh, people had issues with spectacle movies since the beginning of the medium. That's not what concerns me, and I don't think that's what concerns a lot of these filmmakers, many of whom are the masters of spectacle.

Its to do with Marvel's endless serialization and with their meta style of humour, both of which I just don't enjoy in films.

Gilliam's complaint, besides the movies themselves, is that it pushes "major" cinema into either the realm of Mega AAA blockbusters or small indie movies. He misses the space for modest, middle of the line movies, budget wise. I see the same thing happen to video games.

Exactly. Mainstream cinema never was as alarmingly juvenile so it’s not a repeat of a situation, it’s a mirror image of a general trivialization. Fucking Ben Hur was the spectacle of 1959 and that’s as literate as you can get.

MCU stuff hasn't ruined cinema forever but it has certainly dumbed it down in the here and now. The medium will probably take ten years to recover 'artistically', from the MCU takeover. Superheroes might seem unstoppable at the moment, but genuine fatigue will set in eventually.

3 hours ago, Chen G. said:

So, which directors have spoken against the Superhero/MCU tzunmi?

Martin Scorcese, Francis Ford Coppola, Sir Peter Jackson, James Cameron, Mel Gibson and now Terry Gilliam.

Hmm, maybe they have a point?

Steven Spielberg, sort of?

Two years ago, Steven Spielberg famously predicted an "implosion" of the movie industry because of its over-reliance on big budget summer blockbusters. In the wake of the success of Jurassic World, which Spielberg produced, that hasn't changed, he says.

"I still feel that way," Spielberg told The Associated Press while promoting Bridge of Spies, his upcoming Cold War-era thriller. "We were around when the Western died and there will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western. It doesn't mean there won't be another occasion where the Western comes back and the superhero movie someday returns."

Is anyone else waiting gleefully for this to happen like me? Maybe it will be replaced by some other fad, but the Superhero era should take a rest. The studios still have the temerity to keep introducing more stories, but it's surviving on the mass movie-going box-office numbers, and not quality or creative direction.

Quoted from @Gruesome Son of a Bitch Spielberg quote:

"We were around when the Western died and there will be a time when the superhero movie goes the way of the Western. It doesn't mean there won't be another occasion where the Western comes back and the superhero movie someday returns."

Westerns died out because the exploration of the frontier and American expansionism was no longer a living memory for younger audiences, and they eventually lost interest because they couldn't relate to it. Superhero movies are different – they're empowerment fantasies that transcend the time and place they were made. I reckon they'll continue to evolve as audiences demand more, but they won't abandon that empowerment fantasy, so as a genre it ain't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

2 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Westerns died out because the exploration of the frontier and American expansionism was no longer a living memory for younger audiences, and they eventually lost interest because they couldn't relate to it. Superhero movies are different – they're empowerment fantasies that transcend the time and place they were made. I reckon they'll continue to evolve as audiences demand more, but they won't abandon that empowerment fantasy, so as a genre it ain't going anywhere for the foreseeable future.

Themes such as 'revenge' and 'lawlessness' are never old and will always relate to people. 

5 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

they're empowerment fantasies that transcend the time and place they were made.

All stories are empowerment fantasies: it’s why we tell them.

19 minutes ago, Þekþiþm said:

If they wanted cowboy movies, studios would be making them. Duh!

They have Star Wars now, which is a hybrid between the Western and the Eastern.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

They have Star Wars now, which is a hybrid between the Western and the Eastern.

And it has space, lasers, explosions, technology and variety – not confined to the limitations of herding cows, bar fights, barbershops and whorehouses on the desolate frontier that they can go out and visit anyway, which would make youngins go "dehh wats dis shit?"

Plus I keep reading young people saying how much Star Wars "sucks".

MCU usurping SW as the preeminent movie franchise means there's little to no patience for anything else these days. If it ain't got capes and buff bods they're not interested. 

The LotR doesn't know how lucky it was to have come out just before social media exploded onto the culture scene.

• 2 weeks later...

Todd Phillips directed Joker, Baumbach directed Marriage Story, ... Then there's also the director of The Two Popes ... Greta Gerwig did Little Women ...