What's the best or your favourite Queen album?

Brundlefly

What are your favourite Queen albums? Choose three titles!  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite Queen albums? Choose three titles!

• Queen (1973)
    • Queen II (1974)
    • Sheer Heart Attack (1974)
    • A Night at the Opera (1975)
    • A Day at the Races (1976)
    • News of the World (1977)
    • Jazz (1978)
    • Flash Gordon (1980)
    • The Game (1980)
    • Hot Space (1982)
    • The Works (1984)
    • A Kind of Magic (1986)
    • The Miracle (1989)
    • Innuendo (1991)
    • Made in Heaven (1995)

Somewhere gathering dust in the attic are taped-off-CD copies of Flash Gordon, The Works, A Kind Of Magic, The Miracle and Innuendo. Also have the CDs of Greatest Hits I and II, which are the two that probably got played the most. 

Was at the Wembley Freddie tribute gig (brilliant) and saw them when they toured with Paul Rodgers (quite good). But deep down, we all know that Freddie was one of the greatest rock frontmen there's ever been (or likely to be) and simply irreplaceable ... Adam Lambert? Please! 

@Brundlefly, give me COOL CAT, over any of those three.

You - obviously - like THE MIRACLE very much, and won't debate your wisdom, at this time. If anyone criticised STAYING POWER, I'd be irritated. Granted, THE MIRACLE is better than A KIND OF MAGIC, and showed a true diversity, that had been missing, since, probably, JAZZ.

For me, regardless of who writes the songs, if a band has a lead singer with a distinctive voice, they'll never be themselves without that singer.  I'd see no point in going to see Queen with some non-Mercury replacement.  For a much lesser example for all sorts of reasons, but one I'm aware of because my brother is into them is the band Fuel, which ditched its lead singer at some point and replaced him with some generic-sounding so-and-so to match their generic-sounding tracks.

Fuel's story is even more funny than that!

The original lineup did 3 albums together, then Brett Scallions (lead singer) left to pursue a solo career, and the band put out a terrible 4th album with some other singer.  Then Brett Scallions's solo career was going nowhere, so he started touring as "Re-Fueled" with random other people, the same time Fuel was still touring with the original musicians and their random new singer.  Eventually both bands fell apart, and then Brett Scallions was able to get the Fuel name, and made a crappy 5th album with more new random people.

Ah, so now it's like Everclear (the drummer and bassist either got tired of Art Alexakis or just wanted to do other things, but Art keeps releasing Everclear albums with rotating studio musicians presumably because the name Everclear sells better than "Art Alexakis")

Just now, Sweeping Strings said:

Third Eye Blind! Smashmouth! Spin Doctors! 

Surprisingly, at least the first two are still more than popular enough to fill amphitheatres on nostalgia tours.  I remember my brother saw Third Eye Blind play the Washington Nationals baseball stadium just a few years ago.

Amateurs!

3 Doors Down!  Nickleback!  Days of the New!  Oleander!  Default!  Filter!  Our Lady Peace!  Hoobastank!  Jimmie's Chicken Shack! Semisonic!  Vertical Horizon!

It's a shame Lou Reed didn't make it long enough to see the days of the "full album playthrough" nostalgia tour that a lot of these 1990s acts subsist on these days.  Would have loved to see the entire Metal Machine Music in concert.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

You - obviously - like THE MIRACLE very much, and won't debate your wisdom, at this time. If anyone criticised STAYING POWER, I'd be irritated. Granted, THE MIRACLE is better than A KIND OF MAGIC, and showed a true diversity, that had been missing, since, probably, JAZZ.

Staying Power is one of the best songs from Hot Space - and Back Chat!

I think The Works has great diversity too.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It's a shame Lou Reed didn't make it long enough to see the days of the "full album playthrough" nostalgia tour that a lot of these 1990s acts subsist on these days.  Would have loved to see the entire Metal Machine Music in concert.

Reed did a tour in the mid-2000s where he played the album Berlin in full.  Full album concerts have been around for quite a while!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin:_Live_at_St._Ann's_Warehouse

You know, I didn't know he did that!  Good album choice for him to do that with.

Do you like the idea of the album playthrough concert?  Does that concert have to be C&C (every song in album order) or is artistic license acceptable in those cases?  I don't know if there are many full albums that I'd like to hear played through in order in concert.  It's a whole different beast.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

don't know if there are many full albums that I'd like to hear played through in order in concert.  It's a whole different beast.

Yeah I think they'd definitely have to tweak things to make an album work in concert, especially if the studio recordings have a lot of overdubbing etc. They being hypothetically any band.

To answer the thread title, I'd say Pet Sounds is a great contender. 

Listening to Innuendo right now. It's an awesome album. So many hard-rocking tunes. Mercury's voice is higher-pitched than in previous albums (due to his illness/weight loss?), but he still sounds incredible. 

Can't liiiiiiiiivvve without youuuuuuu!

On the 'full album' gigs ... I've seen The Who do all of Quadrophenia followed by a short hits set and Def Leppard do the same with Hysteria. Am going later this month to see a-ha do Hunting High And Low + hits set. 

Would've loved to have caught one of U2's Joshua Tree in full anniversary shows, but just couldn't afford it at the time. 

On 10/10/2019 at 7:12 PM, Disco Stu said:

Eagle Eye Cherry!

I prefer his sister. MANCHILD is a fantastic song.

31 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Am going later this month to see a-ha do Hunting High And Low + hits set.

As long as they play MOVE TO MEMPHIS :rock:

On 10/10/2019 at 5:35 PM, Nick Parker said:

To answer the thread title, I'd say Pet Sounds is a great contender. 

Which Brian Wilson has been doing off and on since 2002!

He released it as an album back in 2004

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Wilson_Presents_Pet_Sounds_Live

And only just finished this past June a 3 year long 50th anniversary tour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sounds_50th_Anniversary_World_Tour

• 3 months later...
On 10/7/2019 at 3:21 PM, Brundlefly said:
  • The Miracle
  • Innuendo
  • Made in Heaven
  • A Night at the Opera
  • The Works
  • News of the World
  • A Day at the Races
  • Queen II
  • Sheer Heart Attack
  • The Game
  • A Kind of Magic
  • Jazz
  • Queen
  • Hot Space
  • Flash Gordon

It's just a little more than three months old, but this list is retarded as hell! What was I thinking?!

I have it to, I most likely got it from the BMG MUSIC CLUB, remember that?

I was in middle school from Sep 90 to Jun 93 and High School from Sep 93 to June 97.

I was going to mention the BMG music club, but I figured JS didn't have the frame of reference for it!

I would always sign up for the freebies, fulfill my purchasing obligation, cancel, sign up for the freebies, fulfill my purchasing obligation, cancel, etc etc etc. It was a great deal at the time when CDs rarely went below $15.  Nowadays, the shipping cost alone would price it out of being a deal.

Just realized that I accidentally stole my bitfrom Waynes World 2!

Everybody in the world has Frampton Comes Alive. If you lived in the suburbs you were issued it. It came in the mail with samples of "Tide".

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Greatest Hits I

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

You still haven't made Greatest Hits I an option!

There is no such record called Greatest Hits I.

If you look at the cover of the record, you'll see, clearly, that it says QUEEN GREATEST HITS.

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

There is no such record called Greatest Hits I.

If you look at the cover of the record, you'll see, clearly, that it says QUEEN GREATEST HITS.

The only Queen on my shelf: 

71HM1FxRD3L._SX450_.jpg

On 1/24/2020 at 1:30 PM, Disco Stu said:

Actually, that's an Aerosmith album, not Queen.

GetAGrip_Aerosmithalbum.jpg

I feel like this is supposed to be innuendo, but of what? What am I supposed to get a grip on? Is the udder supposed to look like a dick? Or is it a stand-in for human tits? Somebody please explain.

It’s a little known fact that talented Queen guitarist Brian May is also an accomplished film composer (I think I read that in a Sony Classical post)

4 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Not at all. So many mediocre songs are on there.

true - what does that say about your albums if you can’t even field a truly great comp?