The Rise of Skywalker - Joann Kane Music Service pictures from the recording sessions

Docteur Qui

On 10/9/2019 at 2:15 AM, Dixon Hill said:

The effort behind this is inspiring.  Making gifs still eludes me.

Facebook shitposting groups is where its at. My last effort on Shireposting there got 3.2K reacts, it was glorious. 

That blade runner effort is a work of art though.

• 1 month later...

TFA recorded well into November so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. TFA did not have reshoots 3 months out from the release, TROS did. 

I'd be more shocked if JW was finished weeks ago. I think he'll be recording right up until the start of December, even if they're just short inserts. 

It sure didn't prevent TFA from becoming possibly the most and most badly overedited of the scores, even after 18 rewrites per cue on average!

24 minutes ago, Holko said:

It sure didn't prevent TFA from becoming possibly the most and most badly overedited of the scores, even after 18 rewrites per cue on average!

It is the horrible modern phenomenon of tinkering and tinkering and tinkering till the very end. Makes me scream - make up your fucking mind and lock the edit.

Are JJ's Giacchino scores as butchered as JW's score for TFA though? Or is JJ just this relentlessly finicky with his Star Wars films? 

I feel for JW but he knew what he was getting himself into with JJ coming back. This was always going to end up another mess of revisions and rewrites well into November. It's cute that Don said he was trying to wrap up the score in September; that was never going to happen with reshoots taking place the same month. 

I also feel for Mike having to make sense of the sessions in a few years. :lol:

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

Thanks, knew it looked familiar. Thought the first section was a slightly altered take on Rey's Theme!

There's nothing thematic there, it's just some twinkly percussion (likely vibraphone or glockenspiel) over some cymbal swells. You're being trolled.

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

So wait, these pictures could still not even be Episode IX, right?  JKMS handles all of the LTP scores as well.

They’re almost certainly from Episode 9: both posts were tagged by JKMS with #studiomusician.

6 hours ago, BrotherSound said:

They’re almost certainly from Episode 9: both posts were tagged by JKMS with #studiomusician.

Yes you're probably right.  My instinct with these things is to have an overabundance of caution.

Seriously how can they prepare the film for overseas release if they are still recording music? I suppose dubbed dialogue is recorded in advance...but if there have been reshoots....

It's amazing.

52 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Seriously how can they prepare the film for overseas release if they are still recording music? I suppose dubbed dialogue is recorded in advance...but if there have been reshoots....

It's amazing.

I recently learned Jerry Goldsmith’s final recording session for Star Trek: The Motion Picture was November 29th 1979, with a release date of December 7th! Of course, they didn't do simultaneous worldwide releases at that point, right?

On 11/16/2019 at 2:39 AM, crumbs said:

TFA recorded well into November so this doesn't surprise me in the slightest. TFA did not have reshoots 3 months out from the release, TROS did. 

I'm pretty sure it did, actually.

1 minute ago, BrotherSound said:

Yes, there were sessions well into November with TFA, too.

I think @DominicCobb was referring to reshoots. TFA definitely recorded the score until mid-November but I didn't think TFA had reshoots as late as TROS.

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

I think @DominicCobb was referring to reshoots. TFA definitely recorded the score until mid-November but I didn't think TFA had reshoots as late as TROS.

Well, it's hard to make a clear comparison because there's so much misinformation going around with TROS, it's hard to know what's true and what's being blown out of proportion. I don't know exactly when TFA stopped doing reshoots, but I remember there were some well into August of that year at least. In Abrams's commentary for the film he mentions many little shots here and there there were added in reshoots, things that could have been added who knows how late. For TROS, maybe the really late reshoots are little things like that, but even that sort of thing would of course affect the score, but maybe not enough to require new recordings? It's all guesswork, really. 

One thing I always wonder when a movie like this isn't exactly finished yet, how much tinkering can be done at this point? The runtime has been locked in for weeks, and the film has a rating (both necessary for tickets to go on sale). Any more tinkering I'd imagine would have to be minor things. I wonder if the end credits are ever reduced or lengthened to account for different cut that needed to fit an already established runtime. 

4 minutes ago, DominicCobb said:

I wonder if the end credits are ever reduced or lengthened to account for different cut that needed to fit an already established runtime. 

Interesting question. I wonder why JW recorded a suite for TFA that ran too short. It needed to extended with the concert version of March of the Resistance but surely JW was working to a set credits duration when he wrote it?

I guess unexpected additional work late in post can lead to new credits, if new crew are brought in to help. Clearly part of the TLJ credits must have been locked in advance to allow for JW's musical tribute for Carrie over the written dedication. 

7 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Interesting question. I wonder why JW recorded a suite for TFA that ran too short. It needed to extended with the concert version of March of the Resistance but surely JW was working to a set credits duration when he wrote it?

I guess unexpected additional work late in post can lead to new credits, if new crew are brought in to help. Clearly part of the TLJ credits must have been locked in advance to allow for JW's musical tribute for Carrie over the written dedication. 

The TFA end credits are an interesting question indeed, because there are essentially three different suites: the one Williams wrote that made the soundtrack, the edited one that made it into the theatrical film, and the edited one that made it onto the blu-ray. I definitely wonder what happened there. 

TLJ is another one, but I figure the difference between what's on the soundtrack and what's in the film is more just a case of editing for the album.

5 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

Speaking of, anybody bother to look and see if TFA on Disney+ has the theatrical or Blu-ray credits...

Blu-ray credits.

30 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I think the Bluray credits are just extended to include the crew who worked on the home video release, hence using Rey's Theme. 

And Scherzo for X-Wings. Although I don't believe the credits include those who worked on the home video release.

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It also didn't prevent it from becoming on of the best, and most balanced, Star Wars scores.

What do you mean by balanced?

18 hours ago, crumbs said:

According to JJ, there were reshoots on TFA than on this one.

Despite a deadline crunch to make the film’s Dec. 20 worldwide launch (EW’s interview was conducted in late October), Abrams says he’s feeling “infinitely better” at this very late stage about The Rise of Skywalker than he was about The Force Awakens.

“We had more reshoots on Episode VII than this one,” Abrams says. “We had more story adjustments on VII than this one. We didn’t know if these characters would work, if the actors would be able to carry a Star Wars movie. There were a lot of things we didn’t know. On this, we knew who and what worked, and everyone is doing the best work I’ve ever seen anyone do. But the ambition of this movie is far greater than Force Awakens. What we set out to do was far more challenging. Everything is exponentially larger on this.”

Was this massive reshoots rumor for TROS ever confirmed?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What do you mean by balanced?

It's got a lot of new themes but at the same time feels more well rounded than perhaps every SW score since ESB. There's an equilibrium to the way it handles and integrates its themes that I've seen compared to Jerry Goldsmith.

Hmm, that is interesting, I will have to ponder on that.

Do you think Return of the Jedi in unbalanced, in that some themes only appear in certain sections of the movie or are underused?

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Do you think Return of the Jedi in unbalanced, in that some themes only appear in certain sections of the movie or are underused?

It's a bit like the film in that it has some of the big highlights of the saga but also consists of several wildly disparate segments, some of which tend to drag (Ewoks!).