The Rise of Skywalker - Joann Kane Music Service pictures from the recording sessions

Docteur Qui

I can't stand all that silly Ewok music in ROTJ and it sucks that the SE mixes everything into huge tracks, when the Throne Room and space battle material is much more listenable. Fortunately we have the Anthology with isolated cues. 

So I agree with the premise that TFA is a more "balanced" score than ROTJ, which is a bit more scatterbrain with all its musical variation. TFA is far more focused stylistically (but this is more a result of the film's requirements than any slight against Williams, he was just scoring the childish antics on display).

But I digress! 

The main problem is not even that Williams is still recording. He already worked under pressure before, like on his crazy 2002 and 2005 schedules. 

The problem is that the score is going to be a mess on the movie: tracking from other cues and probably other SW scores, lots of editing, etc. I can imagine this being TLW levels of messing with a JW score.

I don't understand why all of these JJ/JW collaborations are being so problematic. His collaboratons with Giacchino apparently went smoothly. Maybe Gia, for being younger than Williams, knows how to work best with these younger directors than someone from the Greatest Generation like Williams?

36 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

The main problem is not even that Williams is still recording. He already worked under pressure before, like on his crazy 2002 and 2005 schedules. 

The problem is that the score is going to be a mess on the movie: tracking from other cues and probably other SW scores, lots of editing, etc. I can imagine this being TLW levels of messing with a JW score.

I don't understand why all of these JJ/JW collaborations are being so problematic. His collaboratons with Giacchino apparently went smoothly. Maybe Gia, for being younger than Williams, knows how to work best with these younger directors than someone from the Greatest Generation like Williams?

That's a lot of assumptions there. Even if the score is a mess in the movie, that doesn't mean that the JJ/JW collaboration is problematic right? They seem to love each other.

24 minutes ago, Cerebral Cortex said:

To able to share in this excitement with so many other like-minded people, to be able to discuss and speculate on details large and small is such a truly awesome feeling, one that I try to not take for granted. These sequel trilogy scores may very well be the last time the forums acquire this large communal anticipatory feel. I say this not to be all doom and gloom, but more just in an effort to remind everyone to try and savor this fun time, and as a reminder to myself that I'm lucky I don't have to do it alone. 

So well said. This is exactly me too. It’s hard when there aren’t any people near or dear to me to talk to about JW or film music generally, let alone the minutiae of specific scores. I hadn’t really thought before how much I rely on this forum, but I see now it’s a lot. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 6:34 PM, First TROS March Accolyte said:

so...

Episode IV: 180 measures (~3:45) -> 0,8 bar / sec -> 1.25s/bar

Episode V: 144 measures (~4:30) -> 0,53 bar / sec -> 1.88s/bar

Episode VI: 202 measures (~6:00) -> 0,56 bar / sec -> 1.78s/bar

Episode VII: 224 measures (~6:40) -> 0,56 bar / sec -> 1,79s/bar

let's assume a margin of rounding up or down to be 30

we have 270-330 bars, each likely lasting ~1,8s.

The duration of the End Suite from The Rise of Skywalker is thus somewhere between 486 and 594s; between 8:06 and 9:54, with an average (verbatim) estimate of 9:00.

A more conservative estimate (they didn't say "nearly 300" or "over 300") would narrow it down to 290-310 bars; between 8:42 and 9:18.

image.png

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/eak7tr/the_credits_of_tros_begin_at_minutes_132_of_142/

So the end credits suite is indeed about 9-something minutes. Knowing FYC, it makes sense that the tempi are on the slower side.

We've done well, @BrotherSound :) 

10 hours ago, DiscmanD131 said:

I'll add on the to the Gushing/Mushing:

My first Star Wars soundtrack was my Dad's copy of "John Williams conducts John Williams". I listened to it so much that my parents got me a Sony Discman D-131 for my 13th Birthday so I wouldn't burn out the motor in my dad's cd player. I put that thing on repeat while I read through Timothy Zahn's Heir To The Empire Trilogy. Then, the special edition soundtracks in the late 90's solidified my addiction to John Williams and his Star Wars works. My collection has grown to include pretty much everything he ever recorded for Star Wars. Over the past month, I have listened to it all on a D-131 that I found on ebay. Now, I must say that seeing that picture of the sheet music for the score of John Williams' final Star Wars film has me very emotional. I've watched this forum in the past but I never joined. I'm correcting that now. Thanks to the admins for making this place where all of us can share our love of this music. I hope everyone enjoys this moment in time. It has been an incredible musical journey!

Welcome, we shall watch your career with great interest.

On 11/20/2019 at 2:47 AM, Tom said:

Had the score to RotJ not been the follow-up to the greatest score of all time, it would have been/be considered one of the great scores of all time.  

Seriously.    The only four scores I consider to be almost as good as ESB,  is Superman, Star Trek TMP and Temple of Doom is most likeliy ROTJ

1 hour ago, Romão said:

ROTJ still is my favorite Star Wars score

Yooooooooo! It has this great wistful, earthy, sunset quality to it, that's always connected to me, even as a kid before  I knew I liked music. I sometimes prefer the original, but normally my order is:

Return of the Jedi

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

The only thing that I'm fearing is related to what was mentioned above - that the entire score will be heavily edited and shifted around to the point that it loses JW's initial timings. This is already evident in the FYC album. This has gotten worse and worse over the years. For example, the film version of the Jakku Camp Assault in TLJ was so chaotic compared to the OST (also edited). There's no way that JW would actually write something like that. Anyway, I could go on, but whats the point? I do hope that we get a Recording Sessions collection or something similar to the Special Edition soundtracks. I'll pay whatever they ask for. Maybe it will be on us to let Disney know that there is a market for it. 

2 minutes ago, DiscmanD131 said:

The only thing that I'm fearing is related to what was mentioned above - that the entire score will be heavily edited and shifted around to the point that it loses JW's initial timings. This is already evident in the FYC album. This has gotten worse and worse over the years. For example, the film version of the Jakku Camp Assault in TLJ was so chaotic compared to the OST (also edited). There's no way that JW would actually write something like that. Anyway, I could go on, but whats the point? I do hope that we get a Recording Sessions collection or something similar to the Special Edition soundtracks. I'll pay whatever they ask for. Maybe it will be on us to let Disney know that there is a market for it. 

According to the person best placed to know, everyone who needs to be involved in such a release knows it needs to happen, so I wouldn't fret. It's surely only a matter of time and we just need to be patient... heck, we've already waited decades for updated SEs of the OT, what's another few years?

The original Star Wars is the only one of the series that I enjoy listening to and will return to reasonably frequently these days (by my standards). I just like the heavily analogue sound of the recording, the distinct sense of the musicians' floor and John's much less refined approach to orchestration. It feels so vibrant and spirited, there's a refreshing naivety about the score and I love it for it.

• 2 weeks later...

By then, JW would have already transferred his consciousness to a cybernetic body.

He was ready to die a peaceful death, but when he heard that Giacchino would take over as composer for future Star Wars/Indy/Spielberg movies, he decided he couldn't go just yet. Also, he asked for a plasma canon on his hand, just in case someone suggest him to retire.