Complete(ish) Hobbit fanedits?

Gollum Cat

Hey folks, has anybody edited a "common-sense complete" version of the Hobbit scores? A truly "complete every single note" version would be a super janky listening experience (I know this as I have listened to the film rips before, they have tons of micro-edits), but has anybody produced a "pretty good" nearly complete fanedit of the score combining official OST release + film music? I was doing this a couple years ago and got partway into DOS but life caught up with me and I never finished. Just curious if somebody has done it since then.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Has someone seen the YouTube channel "Hobbit - Complete Recordings"? It's only days old, and it has the cleanest music I've ever heard. There are literally no sound effects. 

Is there a source I'm not aware of? 

21 minutes ago, gkgyver said:

Has someone seen the YouTube channel "Hobbit - Complete Recordings"? It's only days old, and it has the cleanest music I've ever heard. There are literally no sound effects. 

Is there a source I'm not aware of? 

I watched a few because I’m a sucker for isolated score vs. picture stuff, and I noticed some limited sound effects.  See this video at 1:53 for a blatant example.

The music also sounds a little “thin” to me, although maybe that’s just the compression since I’ve never heard this music outside of a CD.  It’s probably just a really clean rip of the blu-ray channels.  

I forgot how bad these looked.

The cleanness is very impressive in these - but boy would BotFA be a messy chore to get through in a complete specialty-style release with all these disconnected little bits. It'd be best just to have it so that everyone can edit it down to their own liking.

Yeah, I was wondering if there were any good edits out there. Sadly there isn't a lot of clean unreleased music out there, like the SW prequels. Just release the CR's already... 

You can literally hear Ben del Maestro's solo from "Forth Eorlingas" for two seconds in this...boy howdy, was this ever a stitch-and-patch job. Can't we get HS to record these cleanly? Pretty puh-lease...with cream on top?

And this...holy Moses, still getting goosebumps 7.5 years later.

On 6/23/2020 at 11:15 PM, mstrox said:

I watched a few because I’m a sucker for isolated score vs. picture stuff, and I noticed some limited sound effects.  See this video at 1:53 for a blatant example.

The music also sounds a little “thin” to me, although maybe that’s just the compression since I’ve never heard this music outside of a CD.  It’s probably just a really clean rip of the blu-ray channels.  

Were those giant troll things with the knives for hands in the theatrical edition? Good God, that whole this is just an overwrought video game eh?

Man this reminds me - I carefully edited together the ending music of DOS and the beginning of BOTFA into one 17 minute piece of music. It was amazing, even with the sound effects.

• 5 months later...

It's a shame that channel is using such low bitrates. If you do it properly, YouTube's compression will be the only thing creating a lossy bitrate.