Favorite TYPE of videogame and why

King Mark

Favorite types of videogame  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Type of Videogame

• Online Shooter (Call of Duty, Destiny...)
    • Single Player Shooter (Far Cry,Borderlands,Fallout...)
    • Open World RPG (Witcher,Breath of the Wild...)
    • Dark Souls like RPG (Dark Souls,The Surge...)
    • TURN BASED RPG (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest...)
    • ACTION RPG (Tales of, Star Ocean, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn,Kingdom Hearts...)
    • "Cinematic" Linear Action Game (Last of Us,Tomb Raider, Uncharted)
    • 2 D Platformer (side scrolling)
    • 3 D Platformer
    • 2 D side scrolling RPG (Octopath Traveller..)
    • MMORG (Warcraft,FF XIV)
    • Old Games(PS1,NES,SNES...)
    • Car Racing
    • JRPG's in General
    • Anything as long as it's portable(Switch, Vita, 3DS,cell phone)
    • Isometric View Games (Diablo,Divinity Original Sin)
    • Puzzle Games
    • Simulations (Sim City...)
    • other

poll.

you can pick more than one buy try to limit to 5 choices

As suspected my choices are in the RPG realm and single player shooter

I severely dislike anything that's 2D side scrolling in this era of games and not crazy about isometric view either

Never play sport or Racing games by lack of interest

Old games should be left in the past unless they re-master them to today's standards

Cinematic: The Last of Us and Uncharted are great at delivering film-like stories and are quite immersive. It's like stepping through a window into a film; I like the ability to walk around, inspect, interact and experience a virtual world and be taken on a journey at the same time.

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Cinematic: The Last of Us and Uncharted are great at delivering film-like stories and are quite immersive. It's like stepping through a window into a film; I like the ability to walk around, inspect, interact and experience a virtual world and be taken on a journey at the same time.

I loved The Last of Us, but I've never had the urge to replay it.

Yeah, me too and I guess I won't replay it since part 2 is coming out soon. The Uncharted games have more replay value with the various puzzles and action sections.

Lots of Star Wars games. NES/Game Boy SW, Super SW trilogy (I still remember some of the passwords), Shadows of the Empire, The Phantom Menace and many others.

I have enjoyed so many genres of games before I just stopped playing them entirely because I'm an adult, I can't really narrow it down. Side-scrollers are to me the most classic and perfect games. Pre-NES games are overrated and mostly shit. What I'm getting at is NES is when games got really great with that good old side-scrolling format.

Mostly first and third person shooters (offline ... don't need some little shit from Buttfuck Arkansas screaming down the headset that 'YOU FUCKIN' SUCK, MAN!YOU GOT THE WHOLE GODDAMN SQUAD KILLED!')  and 'cinematic' action games, the Uncharted series being the cream of the crop for me. 

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, me too and I guess I won't replay it since part 2 is coming out soon. The Uncharted games have more replay value with the various puzzles and action sections.

Indeed. TLOU is great, but is also too dark and depressing. The Uncharted series is funnier and has more action, although I'm not a fan of the first one (I prefer the sequels).

I don't know why people still seem to automatically assume online play incurs the sound of randomers chatting shite down one's headset. I play online all the time and never hear a word nor speak a word to anyone, unless I choose to enable those features. Which I don't (unless I'm on with my regular group).

Not voting because KM’s breakdowns are kinda weird. But, for me, I like a pretty wide variety of stuff as long as it’s fun to play. 

What takes up most of my game time, though, would be FPSs, third person action adventure, and open world RPGs. 

5 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

for me, I like a pretty wide variety of stuff as long as it’s fun to play. 

This

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

open world RPGs. 

Is Obsidian's The Outer Worlds on your radar?

We know it'll be a bug fest though. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Not voting because KM’s breakdowns are kinda weird.

His breakdowns reflect his own preferences. Very RPG-centric but which gloss over everything else. 

There are some articles online that discuss them breaking their history of buggy releases. I will read them in the coming days. Tonight or tomorrow, I'll be buying Pine. 

5 hours ago, woj said:

Is Obsidian's The Outer Worlds on your radar?

We know it'll be a bug fest though. 

Yep, looking forward to that one. The advertising is really playing up the Fallout spiritual successor vibe, so I’m all in. 

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

My favourite video game is the one played on the telly, with a white line on each side of the TV screen, and a white square, moving between them. It made little "blip" noises. Brilliant.

Pong!

CE3C6B58-AD49-46C3-B983-2E11E57A3E9D.gif

I made this thread to see a picture of what people are playing here

I thought some categories would have more votes like online shooters. Also it seems to confirm I'm sort of alone with JRPG's (apart from the big name ones like Zelda and Final Fantasy)

37 minutes ago, Romão said:

Graphic Adventure games, like the ones made by LucasArts during their golden age

That might actually be my answer, in terms of what I got the most enjoyment out of, but it's also a genre I haven't played in 20 years other than Oxenfree so I dunno if it's the right answer

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

Anyone play Jedi Outcast? I remember the battle mode and the awkward lightsaber swings and jumping...

I used to play multi against bots a lot because I couldn't figure out you had to push E to activate buttons and so never got past the first area of single player!

The specific question posed by the poll means it doesn't really reflect a true picture of what people are playing anyway.

For instance, I enjoy certain 2D and 3D platformers, racing games and puzzle titles (Portal 2 is in my top 3 GOAT), but generally these genres aren't necessarily my 'go to' experiences, or my "favourites".

Anyone else also occasionally partial to RTS war games? Huge genre not on the list.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

That might actually be my answer, in terms of what I got the most enjoyment out of, but it's also a genre I haven't played in 20 years other than Oxenfree so I dunno if it's the right answer

Thimbleweed Park was pretty great. And the recent remasters of LucasArts classics are all worth playing (specially Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango)

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

Anyone else also occasionally partial to RTS war games? Huge genre not on the list.

I truly love strategy games, whether they are real time or turn based. KM does not play those and he doesn't see the distinction, so he just lumped them in with top down or simulation categories. That's why I won't vote meaningfully. 

Unless... 

7 hours ago, Quintus said:

_Huge_ fan! Been years since I've played one, though, some of them have gotten so complex, where you're not just managing troops etc. but entire economies and societies (dare I say civilizations). I've been on the lookout for a good, more streamlined one that captures that deliberate, almost nautical tactics feel for a while.

I'm not into most puzzle games. My favorite genre however by a landslide is story-puzzle games, such as Majora's Mask, Monkey Island series, Grim Fandango, The Longest Journey, perhaps maybe the newer kind like Heavy Rain. Gameplay that is truly explorative and worth exploring, always changing in figuring out every moment, gameplay that actually serves an emotional/mental purpose. It doesn't have to be point-and-click, but host any theme of detectivey investigation and solving scenarios of the world and others lives, clever gameplay-story synthesis as its core gameplay, unforgettable adventures and lessons, places and characters to really immerse in and explore and interchange ideas and actions with, to truly relate to the gameplay deeper than other games. All variety of character-puzzles of back-and-forth world exploration. It's definitely a genre that the industry doesn't develop to its fullest capability because these games easily take the most effort to make, hands-down, and the industry nowadays is an artless business desert. Every second of gameplay the developers of these games have to think of a new story-mechanic to cleverly integrate with the flow of the open world, and nowadays the formula can be vastly improved, if the industry was still concerned with quality instead of advertisement/brainwashing. The 80s and 90s however have produced thousands of these games, it was the original genre. So grateful to have real games.

Edit: see this link. Wonderful people, wonderful forums.

My least favorite genre is probably anything RPG or junk-item collection-based--just repetitive hacking and upgrading nonsense. Some RPGs have had wonderful stories, but the gameplay itself is always utterly foolish and lackluster in any depth or cleverness. You keep track of numbers and junk items, repetitive equipment or recipes to find and upgrade, characters to upgrade, and you know its great gameplay when you're just killing things... It's a very mindless quantity > quality gameplay. My favorite genre is of the most quality and thought to develop and the most imagination to use, putting your imagination and creative-mind into full throttle, endless exploration that is interconnective, inspiring the mind into the integration of clever story ideas directly with the game world, weaving together deep and interconnected character-puzzles to explore around and interrogate in order to solve, not these long and copypasta carbon-copy games. The industry is pretty awful nowadays in my opinion, they've really twisted young minds into embracing brainless and valueless activity.

29 minutes ago, Borodin said:

My favorite genre is one of the most quality and thought to develop and the most imagination to use, putting your imagination and creative-mind into full throttle, so much exploration, always inspiring and weaving to deep new scenarios to solve, clever ideas to their story to wrap your mind around, each and every place to explore, not necessarily long and copypasta like so many of these cheaply made carbon-copy games. 

As a grizzled and easily bored gamer these days, this is exactly what I look for in new single player experiences.

Out of interest, have you heard of The Outer Wilds? It's supposed to be crazy inventive and surprising. Game of the year for a lot of people it seems.

This is pretty much the sister forum to Williams/Spielberg forums. LucasArts driving the genre to peak success, So many classics, endless memories. This forum talks about all kinds of new games that are interesting and related to adventure games.

41 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Out of interest, have you heard of The Outer Wilds? It's supposed to be crazy inventive and surprising. Game of the year for a lot of people it seems.

I will have to check that one out and see if it's interesting. Thanks for the suggestion.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:17 AM, Romão said:

Thimbleweed Park was pretty great. And the recent remasters of LucasArts classics are all worth playing (specially Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango)

Yea I got Grim Fandango and Broken Age on my Switch but haven't started yet

23 hours ago, Quintus said:

As a grizzled and easily bored gamer these days, this is exactly what I look for in new single player experiences.

This is on Epic Games store on PC, not Steam. And whatever Xbox number they're up to.