If you got to sit down and talk with JW, what would your top three questions be?

Jurassic Shark

Is there any chance at all that you might still conduct the Vienna Philharmonic?
Can I sit in on your next recording session?

And the one after that?

I hope I'd think of better questions if I actually got to meet him, but I'd probably not be able to get any words out in his presence anyway. Whatever you ask, give him time to actually answer the question and don't interrupt him after half a sentence like ASM does in her fangirl excitement on the Across the Stars DVD.

10 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

He couldn't work with this man!

Could someone please tell me what interview this came from? I remember reading it like 10 years ago, and the mental image of that scene has stuck with me strongly since, but I have no idea where to find it.

Also what three questions would you want John Williams to ask you?

I thought of my first serious question: So many people find preference for your music over older composers. How do you think your film compositions differ from the influences you draw from, are there elements you feel individuals pick up on better (aside from the obvious 'melody')?

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

How do you feel knowing that there's an internet forum dedicated to you and your career, where fans from all over the world spend hours discussing the music you omitted from OST albums, the tiny diferences between film versions and album versions, searching for every note you recorded, discussing details of your life and career, and etc?

There's the deepweb John Williams forum too. Pretty intense over there, I don't think JW would know anything about it.

19 hours ago, Gurkensalat said:

Did you compose a new main title for Episode I and was it recorded? 

I’ve read that too somewhere, and would seriously like to know more!

Inspired by Yo-Yo Ma's interview to @Maestro:

1. What does the poetry of Langston Hughes mean to you?

2. How has your background in jazz influenced your film and concert work?

2. What do non-black musicians owe to the black community for the music that they’ve given all of us, that we profit from?

6 hours ago, Borodin said:

There's the deepweb John Williams forum too. Pretty intense over there, I don't think JW would know anything about it.

Deep Web? So, this guys probably have the complete leaked recording sessions of the prequels, Hook, Storia di una Donna and every post-2005 Williams score! I'll check this out.

Goofy questions:

Who's your favorite JWFAN user?

Which soda do you like best?

What do you think about Bespin's discography?  (Which I like alot)

Real ones:

Which score was the hardest to write for you?

Of all the orchestras you have worked with, which one do you feel the most comfortable with.  Or:  Of all the orchestras that have played your music, which one do you think makes your music sound the best?

Which film composer besides yourself do you like best?

1.) Was the use of the Raiders March always your intended theme for the return to village in Temple of Doom or was there another possible theme/suite that you started to write or think of using, but the Raiders March just worked better.

2.) What's your favorite end credits you've written.

3.) Would you have wanted to score, Lord of the Rings.

I'd be most interested in his composition process. To what degree does the music exist in his head before he even touches the piano keys? How long a stretch of new music can be hold in his working memory before committing it to paper? Things like that.

The ultimate dream would be to actually sit in as he wrote something - with permission to ask the occasional question, but otherwise just taking it in.

1. Why was the Shawm source cue not included on the La-La Land Harry Potter boxset?

2. Why was the Shawm source cue not included on the La-La Land Harry Potter boxset?

3. Why was the Shawm source cue not included on the La-La Land Harry Potter boxset?

Come on guys, you gotta ask the real questions here.

I've been wanting an expanded Potter 3 since 2004, but I never cared or thought about the Shawm cue.

it's like if an expanded AotC was released and people declared the released ruined because it didn't have Dex Diner's

Williams question:

Did you dislike the Han Solo and the Princess theme and is that why you re-wrote it  in 2018?

On 10/10/2019 at 5:34 PM, Richard said:

2. Do you ever log-on to JWfan?

And have you ever re-wrote a theme because of what "King Mark" said?

33 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

1. How many women or men have you fucked in your life? Can't remember.

2. How many fights have you gotten into? Can't remember.

3. What is an unspeakable crime that you have never confessed to? Can't remember.

After some pondering, here are my serious questions:

1. You seem to feel that music in the style of your film scores isn't good enough as "serious" concert music. Why's that?

2. How do you deal with the significant amount of stress that's undoubtedly associated with film scoring?

3. As you know, it varies a lot how much an orchestrator contributes creatively to a film score. For which scores of yours have the orchestrators made the greatest contribution?

7 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

1. How many women or men have you fucked in your life?

2. How many fights have you gotten into?

3. What is an unspeakable crime that you have never confessed to?

Answers

1. Several, but they're all dead.

2. I don't fight. I don't need to...

3. Enrolling in the online Hans Zimmer composing course.

On 10/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Be honest. Most of you would be too shell-shocked to even say anything. I've met Williams twice and forgot how to speak.

A few years ago, I'd probably agree with that sentiment. Nowadays, I'm far less impressed with "celebrity", probably because the world has had it forced down its throat, so far that it wouldn't recognise true talent, if it bit it on the ass. Coupled with that, I'm older, now, and I've got far more important things to live for, than meeting a man in his eighties.

Don't get me wrong; JW's music will have a permanent lease, on a luxury penthouse apartment in my heart, until the day I die. I just don't seem to be as starstruck as I once was. I have no heroes, no role-models, and no-one to look up to. I don't put my faith in people, I just accept them, as they are, and have no need to meet those who would seem to rise above the multitude.

JW is a giant of a man...but I wouldn't go looking for him.