Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)

Jay

I'm in the audience at Settling the Score tonight at the Royal Albert Hall, in London.

It's a showcase with Michael Giacchino and David Arnold, playing compositions by the both of them to 'compete' and see who is the better composer. Both of them are in attendance to present the evening, and there are a few special guests too! It's quite a lot of fun - both Arnold and Giacchino are very funny.

Matt Reeves just came onstage to introduce the Cloverfield suite. And then he "proposed" to Giacchino on one knee, asking him to score "The Batman". Giacchino said yes!

https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comments/djs6q8/breaking_news_from_the_royal_albert_hall_tonight/

It will be interesting to see how his approach differs from the way he scored Spider-man and Doctor Strange

Im glad he has been confirmed :)

Cant wait for that score!

With so many "Joker"...i really want to see mark hammil playing the role, i think he could physically nail it, and he already has the voice ;). Maybe not for this movie, but if they make a trilogy...

This film stars Robert Pattinson as Batman, Jeffrey Wright as Commissioner Gordon, Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, and Paul Dano as The Riddler

Reeves usually brings the darkest on Giacchino: the ROAR theme from Cloverfield, Let Me In, his Andy Serkis Planet of the Apes movies, they're all among Gia's darkest and bleakest scores.

So, it'll be interesting to see how he handles Batman. It'll probably be very different than The Incredibles, Spider-Man or Doctor Strange.

I dunno, I guess that after a decade and a half of moody Batman music, we'll have a more expansive Batman theme since the days of Elfman/Goldenthal.

For some reason, whenever I try to imagine how a Giacchino Batman theme would sound like, the first thing that pops in my head is this:

MOH music would work great in a Batman setting. Before I heard Goldsmith's The Shadow, I considered it the closest that has gotten to Elfman's nocturnal palette.

That, jazz, and recent brooding tracks like the above from Jurassic World 2, make me think Giacchino has all tools in the box to write this sort of score.

So..... for the third time now, Hollywood has decided that the guy who did the most popular hero for one company should now do the most popular hero for the rival company. At least it was Spidey first this time around, which makes the news more out of left field somewhat.

Though seriously: now with Gia joining Elfman and Zimmer in the ranks of being those guys who composed for both Batman and Spider-Man, would that have meant that Horner would've taken a stab at it had he lived?

The prospect of Giacchino doing the score doesn't have me super excited (although it could be good), but I'm still looking forward to a fresh take on the character (hopefully) after 10+ years of too much self-seriousness.  We'll see how it turns out.

2 minutes ago, publicist said:

This should be the 'desperate mode' choice, not something you beg on your knees for...

I beg on my knees and ask him to stay away, you don't see a Reddit thread about me getting posted!

Eh, I didn't care for it

But if his blockbuster sound isn't your thing, El Royale and Jojo Rabbit are certainly worth checking out 

47 minutes ago, publicist said:

This should be the 'desperate mode' choice, not something you beg on your knees for...

A film music version of a shotgun wedding?

I hate him vehemently. Well, not him, strictly speaking (he seems like a nice person), but his music. And the position he has in contemporary film music.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nelson Riddle

Danny Elfman

Elliot Goldenthal

Hans Zimmer

James Newton Howard

Junkie XL

Michael Giacchino

And Shirley Walker

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

She wasn't the best overall, but as far as nailing  characters with motifs she was unbeatable.

I agree completely. All her villain themes are pretty much timeless and definitive

2 minutes ago, Romão said:

I agree completely. All her villain themes are pretty much timeless and definitive

People talk about how they always hear Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill when they think of Batman and the Joker...whenever I think of a Batman character, I think of her themes, titular character included.

I figure he gets around mainly because he’s apparently a super-duper nice and easy fellow to work with, not as much because of his actual work.

Or maybe the directors that hire him just want to enjoy the hackneyed puns he comes up with. 

3 minutes ago, Evanus said:

Does this mean he won't be able to do Jurassic World 3, resulting in John Powell scoring it instead? 

A man can dream...

Oh, that would be great!

36 minutes ago, Romão said:

And Shirley Walker

19 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

She wasn't the best overall, but as far as nailing  characters with motifs she was unbeatable.

I was listing Batman film composers only.  Yeah yeah insert dumb "she ghost wrote Elfman's score" jokes hardy har har.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I hate him vehemently. Well, not him, strictly speaking (he seems like a nice person), but his music. And the position he has in contemporary film music.

Really? Do you have such an intense and burning dislike for Michael Giacchino's music that you actively hate it? I mean, I get, apparently 70% or 80% of people here don't really like his music, but to the point of hatred?

I mean, sure, there are film scores that I dislike and composers whose music I don't care for - and I know that in English when you say you don't care for something, it's synomous with you don't like something, but on this case I mean that I don't bother enough to actually waste my time listening to composers or scores that I know I'm not going to like it, for example, Jed Kurzel's Assassin's Creed.

There's so many other things on this world to hate, like the corrupt people on charge my soccer team Cruzeiro Esporte Clube, who has actively ruining the team's finances to the point that we're now with serious chances to falling to the second division of our national championship, FOR THE VERY FIRST FUCKING TIME. But not film composers or scores.

In fact, they seem to be some of the most wonderful people on Hollywood these days. No sexual or harassment scandals (that we know of), just hardoworking music nerds. 

On the other hand, I get that he is getting a lot of high profile jobs that could've been given to other equally or even more talented people, like when Doctor Strange went for him instead of Christopher Young, who has been collaborating with director Scott Derrickson until that point. But I imagine this is more Disney's fault, who wanted a bigger "name" for their blockbuster, and not Giacchino's - on his place, I wouldn't refuse being paid an enourmous salary for high profile jobs either.

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Really? Do you have such an intense and burning dislike for Michael Giacchino's music that you actively hate it? I mean, I get, apparently 70% or 80% of people here don't really like his music, but to the point of hatred?

Yes, I do. But I'll have to specify that it's 50-50 between a dislike of the man's music and an extreme irritation over the adulation he receives from so many fans; which IMO is just the "Emperor's New Clothes" as he takes over one franchise after the other. To the extent one can use the word 'hate' in such a marginal thing as film music, I can easily apply it to Michael Giacchino's music, and his position in film music.

That being said, I do enjoy JOHN CARTER, and I think LOST is great in context.

5 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Some really bat puns are incoming, that's certain.

I guarantee at least one of these will be on Giacchino's OST listing:

"Bats in the Belfry"

"The Cat and the Bat"

"Welcome to the Batcave"

"Na na na BATMAN"

5 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Boy, they just keep handing all the big properties to that schmuck.

Dude, you hated Elfman's Justice League score.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Yes, I do. But I'll have to specify that it's 50-50 between a dislike of the man's music and an extreme irritation over the adulation he receives from so many fans; which IMO is just the "Emperor's New Clothes" as he takes over one franchise after the other. To the extent one can use the word 'hate' in such a marginal thing as film music, I can easily apply it to Michael Giacchino's music, and his position in film music.

This is the saddest thing I've read on this entire forum.

4 hours ago, Evanus said:

Does this mean he won't be able to do Jurassic World 3, resulting in John Powell scoring it instead? 

A man can dream...

Powell’s expressed disinterest in composing music for horror movies.

9 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Powell’s expressed disinterest in composing music for horror movies.

Powell will be too busy doing the Chicken Run sequel!

I don't hate Giacchino, but I think some of his music can be described as different flavours of bland. Never understood the love for something like Rogue One or the new Jurassic scores. Ratotuille and the Incredibles are definitely my favourites from him, and I also like the Apes scores. On these, I felt he created something genuinely exciting with the styles he was working with. Other work falls very flat - Star Trek, Mission Impossible, Bad Times. 

Like Thor I bemoan the amount of opportunities he's given on new or reinventions of franchises, but then scores like Doctor Strange and even the first MCU Spiderman score aren't in any way bad works. Looking forward to Jojo Rabbit, hoping for something a bit like Coco in tone when I get around to it. Just feel that there are more voices out there with more interesting things to bring to the table, particularly for this new Batman.