Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)

Jay

3 hours ago, Trent B said:

I simply just do not like Zimmer's Batman scores or even Man Of Steel as well as Batman Vs Superman.  They are nothing but noise to me.

You say Giacchino is a bore but to me I'd take Giacchino over the Zimmer of today for scores.

Atleast Gia will attempt to write a theme. Better than Zimmer's fart trombones over an infernal racket of noise pollution. 

New audio interview with MG where he reveals he's already written the main theme

https://wmmr.com/2019/10/24/michael-giacchino-to-score-the-batman-steve-needs-to-be-there/

“I’ve already written what will be theme for the movie, because I was so excited about doing it that I just sat down and did it, already. And so, Matt has that in his back pocket right now and is using it just to inspire him as he finishes writing and doing the things he has to do to prepare for directing.”

You don't need to see a film to write a theme, especially an iconic figure like Batman who you already know

You need to see the film to know where the take the theme and heck, this theme could always be abandoned after he sees the first rough cut if he feels its no longer works

On 10/25/2019 at 3:47 PM, Jay said:

You don't need to see a film to write a theme, especially an iconic figure like Batman who you already know

You need to see the film to know where the take the theme and heck, this theme could always be abandoned after he sees the first rough cut if he feels its no longer works

Perhaps Reeves sent him an early draft of the script and told him to write to that first.

• 3 months later...
57 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

First listen to Gia's bat music.

Seems like an Imperial March ripoff? Basically just a deconstruction of it right?

A moody two-note theme for Batman? That’s new and innovativ...oh wait.

I was about to say. It seems we're never gonna get a full fledged Bat theme in these times. l suppose it's possible he might expound upon it, but knowing WB, it's exactly what they want.

Also, it reminds me of the start of the Imperial march for whatever reason. Just the general vibe of it, I guess.

5 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

First listen to Gia's bat music.

Seems like an Imperial March ripoff? Basically just a deconstruction of it right?

Well, that's the most repetitive piece of garbage I've heard in a long time. It's especially striking, coming here straight from listening to Holkenborg's new SONIC THE HEDGEHOG score (which is actually not bad, so far); if you had ever told me mere years ago that there would come a day when I like/look forward to Junkie XL's music more than Giacchino's, I'd have looked at you like you were crazy. Alas...

Methinks it's not a coincidence that this this guy hasn't been nominated for an Oscar since UP... He's gotten worse:blink:

Yup. It's become blatantly obvious to me that whatever is in the clip is the build up, rather than the actual theme. It just feels too incomplete as is, as both of Zimmer's main Bat motifs feel more complete in their simplicity. I'd wait until a proper track gets posted.

I like that Gia apparently is doing a more jazzy, noirish version of Batman music, despite years of Elfman's, Goldenthal's and Zimmer's (on BvS) gothic style, and the moody cellos and two note power anthem of the Nolan trilogy. It fits Reeves' declaration that the movie will be more an investigative thriller, with a focus on Batman's detective side.

But, ugh, I can imagine these four notes of the theme (if they indeed become the main theme) being repeated ad nauseum on the score, with lots of silly variations, and then a epic version with choir on the end credits. I just hope that he writes great, diversified themes for the villains, so the score won't be just this repetition of tum tum tum Tum TUM!

18 hours ago, HunterTech said:

Yup. It's become blatantly obvious to me that whatever is in the clip is the build up, rather than the actual theme. It just feels too incomplete as is, as both of Zimmer's main Bat motifs feel more complete in their simplicity. I'd wait until a proper track gets posted.

His Spider-Man theme is from exactly the same short, uninspired, lame cloth. I'm not convinced this isn't the actual theme. 

Edit: Holy shit, did I just read ROBERT PATTINSON is Batman?? 

Did they set out to top Batfleck? 

Knowing my track record, you'll say the exact same thing about the rest of it. :P

At least Spidey has multiple sections to it, even if it remains fairly simple. As much as Gia doesn't quite have the chops to make a truly grand theme, they're never as simple as this video has it. So I'd still insist we wait and see.

20 hours ago, Arpy said:

Eh, it's a few seconds of a camera test, I'm not going to judge it on this. These days, people seem to judge an entire score on twenty second snippets. 

Glad someone else said this. Good grief. The film hasn’t even started shooting yet has it? Way to write off a score before the damn movie has been made yet. 

It's typical of this forum, especially when it's a gia score. It always surprises me that people who have stated a thousand times before that they have no interest in the composer, constantly find their way into the threads to bash him. Same for Zimmer scores.

22 minutes ago, Arpy said:

It's typical of this forum, especially when it's a gia score. It always surprises me that people who have stated a thousand times before that they have no interest in the composer, constantly find their way into the threads to bash him. Same for Zimmer scores.

Because they want something better than what Zimmerchino offers to cinema/cinematic franchises now.

4 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Because they want something better than what Zimmerchino offers to cinema/cinematic franchises now.

They're complaining to the wind. To others outside of this forum it looks like a bunch of sad old people whining!

8 hours ago, TSMefford said:

Glad someone else said this. Good grief. The film hasn’t even started shooting yet has it? Way to write off a score before the damn movie has been made yet. 

They wouldn't have released a piece of Giacchino's music if it had nothing to do with the final theme. Get real please. 

3 hours ago, gkgyver said:

They wouldn't have released a piece of Giacchino's music if it had nothing to do with the final theme. Get real please. 

Oh I see. So when John Williams writes the teaser trailer for The Force Awakens then we should assume it’s the full-fledged, fully developed ultra final theme for The Force Awakens. You get real.

My point was that there’s no way this is final or even the theme. Others have said this could easily be build up. Truth of the matter is we don’t know either way. If this is straight up “the theme” then yeah, I’m disappointed. But I’m not just going to assume that and the worst and tear the whole damn thing apart over less than 60 seconds.

Also, it’s been uploaded to Watertower’s YouTube as “The Batman - Camera Test - Michael Giacchino”. Don’t you think if it was THE Main Theme that they’d upload it as such to create buzz? It’s just a trailer cue that he wrote, yes, most likely based on material he’s written.

How about we not form a mob and freak out and tear apart something we’ve barely heard yet?

11 hours ago, Arpy said:

Yeah, look I’m not a Zimmer fan, so I typically stay out of his threads. However, if I do venture into one I make sure I have heard the whole score before I comment on it.

We know Gia recorded the theme for Batman. That’s the only thing he has recorded so far.

You are kidding yourself if you think he has written and recorded underscore for a film which is still in very early in the process.

Thus it is a reasonable deduction that the music is from the theme track that Gia wrote for the director.

There’s more to it sure as the Director says on Twitter. But this is from that theme track.

36 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

We know Gia recorded the theme for Batman. That’s the only thing he has recorded so far.

You are kidding yourself if you think he has written and recorded underscore for a film which is still in very early in the process.

Thus it is a reasonable deduction that the music is from the theme track that Gia wrote for the director.

There’s more to it sure as the Director says on Twitter. But this is from that theme track.

Except has either Gia or Reeves said it was the theme? All that's certain is that he contributed music to a mere minute of footage, and nothing more. The fact Watertower only labels it as "Camera Test" should be telling that at the very least, that's all it is currently.

1 hour ago, HunterTech said:

Except has either Gia or Reeves said it was the theme? All that's certain is that he contributed music to a mere minute of footage, and nothing more. The fact Watertower only labels it as "Camera Test" should be telling that at the very least, that's all it is currently.

Do you think Gia wrote and recorded music for a camera test?

What else am I supposed to go by if there's not much info currently? Sure, it's more likely this is a small sketch he had recently done, but it still fits the image pretty well. Besides, Reeves might've felt like including it to make it stand out a bit more.

Have you heard of editing? You can edit video to music.

Gia said he recorded the theme track and gave it to the director and the director has it in his backpocket if he wants to use it on set.

Guess what, the director is on set right now. And he needed music to cut a costume test video. What music did he use - the one he had in his backpocket - from Gia.

Is it then unreasonable to assume that this music is from the theme track Gia has recorded?

It's more likely than not to be a portion of that demo theme, yet it's also possible what we will eventually get might not even sound like this.

8 hours ago, Ricard said:

Not to those who actually know that the emperor is naked.

I don't want to see JW naked, thankyou very much.

2 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Have you heard of editing? You can edit video to music.

Gia said he recorded the theme track and gave it to the director and the director has it in his backpocket if he wants to use it on set.

Guess what, the director is on set right now. And he needed music to cut a costume test video. What music did he use - the one he had in his backpocket - from Gia.

Is it then unreasonable to assume that this music is from the theme track Gia has recorded?

I think I did a bad job writing my previous post. Yes, you're right, it could certainly be taken from whatever demo he wrote for Reeves, but there's people here thinking that this is IT.. This is the whole thing and should be judged as the theme. I disagree. 

What you're saying is certainly plausible. No argument there.

My argument is that this is most likely not the full demo and may not even have a theme statement in it. We don't know enough to tear it a new one. I'd imagine that the theme demo is likely quite long and this minute could've been pulled from anywhere in it, including some sort of build up. This whole video is meant to be a massive tease. I don't think they'd reveal the theme in it's best form, or even at all this early on.

All that being said, WaterTower has uploaded this minute long piece as a track on it's YouTube simply called "Camera Test". To me, that could mean this is it's own thing, separate from the demo. Giacchino could've indeed written a short little minute piece for the camera test if he was asked to. As I said, John Williams has written short little pieces for trailers in the past, separate from the film. Wouldn't be out of the question here.

To others, assuming that this is the end all be all main theme and is representative of the whole score is like assuming the entire film will also me extremely dark and tinted red. 

36 minutes ago, TSMefford said:

I think I did a bad job writing my previous post. Yes, you're right, it could certainly be taken from whatever demo he wrote for Reeves, but there's people here thinking that this is IT.. This is the whole thing and should be judged as the theme. I disagree. 

What you're saying is certainly plausible. No argument there.

My argument is that this is most likely not the full demo and may not even have a theme statement in it. We don't know enough to tear it a new one. I'd imagine that the theme demo is likely quite long and this minute could've been pulled from anywhere in it, including some sort of build up. This whole video is meant to be a massive tease. I don't think they'd reveal the theme in it's best form, or even at all this early on.

All that being said, WaterTower has uploaded this minute long piece as a track on it's YouTube simply called "Camera Test". To me, that could mean this is it's own thing, separate from the demo. Giacchino could've indeed written a short little minute piece for the camera test if he was asked to. As I said, John Williams has written short little pieces for trailers in the past, separate from the film. Wouldn't be out of the question here.

To others, assuming that this is the end all be all main theme and is representative of the whole score is like assuming the entire film will also me extremely dark and tinted red. 

It just doesn't seem practical. A trailer for a movie is the primary marketing tool. No kidding, studios these days spend literally 10s of millions of dollars to get the trailers right. Trailers would have the budget to impanel an orchestra, write special music for it and record it.

A camera test is not that. 99% are never released because they are just that - camera tests. They are cheap, done quickly, essentially a proof of concept shown to suits. Few ever get released. Why would a studio spend money to pay a star composer to write music for a camera test and give him money to record it?

The logistics don't make sense.

The simplest explanation - that it is from the demo that Gia has already recorded - seems plausible.