Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)

Jay

8 hours ago, Gruesome Son of a Bitch said:

Boy, they just keep handing all the big properties to that schmuck.

You can always go back to titanic. 

14 minutes ago, Arpy said:

Giacchino brings out the snobbery of the forum once again.

Yeah, too bad some people tend to prefer good music. ;)

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I hate him vehemently. Well, not him, strictly speaking (he seems like a nice person), but his music. And the position he has in contemporary film music.

You're talking about Zimmer, right? ;)

Why bother hiring composers for these mainstream blockbusters anyway? The scores usually get buried underneath sound effects, so isn't it just wasted time and money? Wouldn't it be easier, faster and cheaper to just get a cat to walk on the keyboards for an hour?

DC’s already done that with a majority of their films.

its time they step up to the plate like marvel has with most of their films and get some good music.

Yes! It's unbelievable the amount of music that doesn't penetrate the surface of the soundtrack like it should. It's interesting still when composers work with the sound designers and are still buried under sound effects.

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

Yes! It's unbelievable the amount of music that doesn't penetrate the surface of the soundtrack like it should. It's interesting still when composers work with the sound designers and are still buried under sound effects.

I can only assume it's just incompetent sound editing/design, or thinking that if the movie eases off the sound and just lets the music carry things, audiences will get bored. We need these to be louder! More sound effects! Make them louder! 

To give more concrete thoughts: Giacchino can go either way on this. While I do like his two Spidey scores, Ghost Protocol, and find Ratatouille a rather pleasant listen, the rest of his work I haven't found particularly impressive. Star Trek 09 and Doctor Strange have nice enough themes backed by a largely dull underscore. And that issue regarding his action writing being too frantic was my primary issue with M:I-III and Incredibles. His relationship with Matt Reeves is the key thing that does give me hope, since I find that him working with his trusted partners can boost his efforts by a large margin. I would've liked to have seen someone like David Arnold tackle something like Batman, but I assume he likes his TV work too much currently, and is too in the past for any studio to consider.

About the sound mix issues, it was surprisingly decently present in Far Far Home and Dark Phoenix. Ad Astra was pretty alright too, though I suspect some parts were dialed down. But Shazam proved way too quiet if we were to refer to DC efforts specifically, and I heard JL was particularly bad with its placement in the mix. I guess if you aren't Marvel (sometimes) or Zimmer, you're out of luck.

Regarding the "I wanna kill everyone around me for their opinions" attitude that can pop up here, I feel no need to address it, since I figure it's never really going to leave, so I might as well get used to it. The one thing I will say is that in another place that has a similar thing to it, at least they still talk about the things they actually like. :D

22 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

I can only assume it's just incompetent sound editing/design, or thinking that if the movie eases off the sound and just lets the music carry things, audiences will get bored. We need these to be louder! More sound effects! Make them louder! 

MellowOrangeAmethystsunbird-size_restricted.gif

12 minutes ago, HunterTech said:

Regarding the "I wanna kill everyone around me for their opinions" attitude that can pop up here, I feel no need to address it, since I figure it's never really going to leave, so I might as well get used to it. The one thing I will say is that in another place that has a similar thing to it, at least they still talk about the things they actually like. :D

Except that Yavar is the only one who still likes anything at that place. ;)

On 10/19/2019 at 6:05 AM, Arpy said:

My take on it is that composers know that regardless of how the music is mixed or buried, they still want to put detail in it because a) it's their job, and b) there's a good chance the music will be heard standalone by people who won't have seen the film. An album is the composer's chance to show their stuff.

On 10/19/2019 at 1:20 AM, publicist said:

With a Phoenix cameo, perhaps?

How much money would they have to offer him to show up in this movie? Doesn't seem like something he would normally want to do.

1 minute ago, Mr. Manfrenjensenden said:

Was the joker going to be part of a “reboot” of the DC Batman films or just a one off version?

The Joker movie was never planned to be part of the cinematic universe - at least that's what I remember from an interview with Phillips. And I remember hearing that Phoenix would only do the film if it was a standalone story - but then after the movie was released he refused to directly answer interview questions on whether he'd reprise his role in the future. So who knows.

Zimmer's so called theme for Batman just out right sucks.  It's nothing but noise to me and same for the rest of his Batman scores.

Elfman's is the most iconic and in MY opinion the best one.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"very much" seems a stretch.  Its basis in the Elfman isn't exactly hidden or subtle.

I'm talkin' straight-up notes. Although spiritually it's cut from the same place as Elfman's, and yes, I'm aware that Walker segued between the two in some instances, her theme is very much its own fully-formed entity, as much as say Goldenthal's.

All three composers were like Robin Hood arrows at hitting the core of the character.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

as much as say Goldenthal's

More of its own thing, but also still cut from the same cloth as Elfman's.  Both composers were working in the milieu that had been established by Elfman/Burton.

7 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Wait...women can write themes?

Don't you have a Howard GIF to ogle?

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

More of its own thing, but also still cut from the same cloth as Elfman's.  Both composers were working in the milieu that had been established by Elfman/Burton.

I feel like I addressed that. I don't want to repeat my points and patronize you.

2 hours ago, Trent B said:

Zimmer's so called theme for Batman just out right sucks.  It's nothing but noise to me and same for the rest of his Batman scores.

Elfman's is the most iconic and in MY opinion the best one.

Pfft, how can you NOT like this?

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Shirley Walkers is the best one.

Did some work on that as well.

Giacchino is such a bore. 

I simply just do not like Zimmer's Batman scores or even Man Of Steel as well as Batman Vs Superman.  They are nothing but noise to me.

You say Giacchino is a bore but to me I'd take Giacchino over the Zimmer of today for scores.