Michael Giacchino's THE BATMAN (2022)

Jay

Score seems to have a nice noir-ish feel.

Its funny watching this clip. Try as they might to distance themselves from the shadow of Nolan’s films, this feels very Batman Begins 1.5 to me. 

The Batman soundtrack has been added to iTunes. When I click on I get an error.

Someone else I know was somehow able to get in and said that the album is around 110 minutes.

‎Michael Giacchino on Apple Music
https://music.apple.com/nz/artist/michael-giacchino/27462369

20220218_085118.jpg

Seems like everything except for the driving Batman theme has been interesting to listen to - a decent sign!

Don’t think there’s anything insane about 110-minute album.  Back in the days of CDs we just called them 2-disc releases, and we saw them on occasion - the Hobbit movies, Giacchino’s own Jupiter Ascending, some other recent superhero scores (at least Avengers Endgame).  I like polished/condensed OST presentations more than most people here, but when it comes to modern scores played by Hollywood orchestras, I prefer the longer releases - because the chance of getting expansions ever is so thin….

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

when it comes to modern scores played by Hollywood orchestras, I prefer the longer releases - because the chance of getting expansions ever is so thin….

Unless it's a Giacchino score, because the sessions will leak within 12 months :P

One hour and 56 minutes is just as long ad rogue one without bonus tracks.

I dont expect the film to be of the kind scored wall to wall, so we could get a lot of.music. 

Still im sure tracks like jedha bazaar will be omited....

That Catwoman cue is what has really grabbed my attention the most. The two previous cues were nice, but either too simplistic, or too reminiscent of other composers work, but Catwoman's theme, although it also reminds me of other scores, it feels quite fitting for the character, and it really works with the whole noir aesthetic they seem to be going for.

And the news of that really long album are always exciting, as I usually prefer to have that, and then do my own simplified presentation.

46 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Only if you’re the sort to listen to leaks!

Funnily enough I listened to the Fallen Kingdom sessions on my way to work today. Suffice to say those sessions are not made for car speakers!

Bloody good score though... but constantly adjusting the volume was driving me mental.

Catwoman seems to be the only character that's consistently scored well for some reason. Zimmer's piano melody was pretty good, The Arkham game's quasi-themes for her were fitting, of course TAS did a good job, Elfman pretty much defined her sound, and Giacchino's noir take is the only part of this score so far that has caught my attention.

Hope more of the music is like this, because that preview clip's track was a whole lot of filler boredom. 

Gia's theme for Catwoman was pretty good, the best of the three we got. 

Speaking of the character, has anyone listened to Klaus Badelt's score for her disastrous 2004 movie starring Halle Berry? Is it any good?

2 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Speaking of the character, has anyone listened to Klaus Badelt's score for her disastrous 2004 movie starring Halle Berry? Is it any good?

It has great moments, but also some obnoxious as well. The theme itself is pretty decent 

If Gia can sustain this cool noirish thriller vibe throughout the whole score, I’ll be able to forgive him an underwhelming Batman theme. And even then I’m looking forward to any adaptations and arrangements he may have for that theme other than what we’ve heard from the singles.

10 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Am I just too much of a Goldsmith nut or are there distinct The Russia House vibes in the Catwoman theme? (I dig it... much more than the first two cues released.)

Yavar

You are not alone in that!

I totally hear it. But I didn’t know if it was just because Chinatown, Russia House, and LA Confidential are the only noir-ish scores I’ve really listened to lol. 

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

If Gia can sustain this cool noirish thriller vibe throughout the whole score, I’ll be able to forgive him an underwhelming Batman theme. And even then I’m looking forward to any adaptations and arrangements he may have for that theme other than what we’ve heard from the singles.

He’ll develop that Batman theme in the sequel for sure.

In other news: Disney suing WB for using the Darth Vader theme in Batman 2. 

Every composer scores cats with slinky strings.

Talk about a shopworn trope!

On 18/02/2022 at 11:21 AM, WampaRat said:

If Gia can sustain this cool noirish thriller vibe throughout the whole score, I’ll be able to forgive him an underwhelming Batman theme.

I'm sure he will be grateful for your pardon.

😎

New minute+ clip with Giacchino score the entire time

The cue could be unreleased because Shazam and Aha don't recognize it, but maybe they don't have the full albums in their DB yet

1 hour ago, Jay said:

New minute+ clip with Giacchino score the entire time

The cue could be unreleased because Shazam and Aha don't recognize it, but maybe they don't have the full albums in their DB yet

This really looks like something that came right out of Bat-comics, even more so than TDKR.

10 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Are we seriously gonna nitpick everything about his score.

If you take that ritual away from JWfanners, in a year "they will be nothing but a bunch of burnt out drunks."*

* let's see who can identify this filmic allusion.

Y'all missed PATTON. Here is your chance at redemption😁